How to make a debate website?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
User1652
Padawan

How to make a debate website?

Post by User1652 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:39 am

So, in the future I plan to make a site that is much like SB and SD and several other sites in a way that deals with nothing but crossovers and other entertainment. I am thinking of doing this in college when I have free time and maybe going to need help with getting moderators and testers. But one of the things I was wondering is, what should I do if I am going to make a vs debate website? What kind of subforums should I have? What kind of rules should there be on the site and how can I advertise it to make it popular? What advice can you give me to make such a site?

mojo
Starship Captain

Re: How to make a debate website?

Post by mojo » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:13 am

considering the smallish member base here, you should probably head elsewhere for how to make a website 'popular'. like, say, sdn. boom! headshot!
but in all seriousness it's quality, not quantity. and i suggest you get oragahn, breetai, and swst as your staff, because that would be hilarious. praeothmin is good. just don't get mike dicenso. every cat in the world hates him, and he exaggerates wildly, like say, implying repeatedly that cleaning up nine posts took up his entire weekend. to this day he has not admitted that that was utter bullshit.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:53 am

if I modded a vs section I think you'd hate it I'd allow pretty aggressive debating so long as it;s against a troll. others you get banned for being offensive to good members.

essentially 'bully fanboys and Wongites off my site so I don't have to actually do anything run the shop yourselves boys"

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09 am

There's already way too many more Versus Debate websites out there than the niche fandom will currently tolerate and support. The last shot at such a site, ASVS, hasn't really been a resounding success, despite being fairly lax in it's rules. Adding another will just be a waste of your time, Civ, unless you just want to have the experiance of setting up a website. In which case I recommend that you pick another project.
-Mike

User1652
Padawan

Post by User1652 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:31 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:There's already way too many more Versus Debate websites out there than the niche fandom will currently tolerate and support. The last shot at such a site, ASVS, hasn't really been a resounding success, despite being fairly lax in it's rules. Adding another will just be a waste of your time, Civ, unless you just want to have the experiance of setting up a website. In which case I recommend that you pick another project.
-Mike
Really? Because I only see several of them and most other than SB are not very active. I think spacebattles.com is the most active crossover website out there.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:05 pm

That should give you a clue right there, Civ. Traffic-wise, SFJN is doing very well, but relatively few people are active users. SBC, on the other hand, handles the vast majority of Versus Debate (it is the first large-scale forum dedicated to such) traffic and SDN takes up some of the slack since the die-hard Warsies hang out there. SBC fits their needs when they want to go somewhere else because there is at least a very pro-Wars moderator staff who'll look out for them. But the newest, latest, greatest thing for SDN and SBC is WH40K so SW is being allowed to slip by the wayside wank-wise while the wank is being built up for WH40K.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:33 pm

I can't see this to be worthwhile. What motivates you to start one?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:36 am

Civ001 wrote: Really? Because I only see several of them and most other than SB are not very active. I think spacebattles.com is the most active crossover website out there.
NF is far more active their vs section has a constant stream of threads, CBR and KMc vs forums are probably more active than SB. CBUB is probably the oldest vs section out there and always has a very strong member base.

The problem is because of the more general vs forums are so large and influential most sites end up creating one by default to attract members. For example allot of sites that host manga has vs sections because that's what draws people more than any other section of their forum.

your sci fi corner is very small and my guess is SB SDN and ASVS corner the market on it..

User1652
Padawan

Post by User1652 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:50 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:I can't see this to be worthwhile. What motivates you to start one?
I wanted to make one for where all scince fiction fans and other people can gather. I know there are other websites around like this but back awhile ago I thought that only a few sites like this exsisted.
Admiral Breetai wrote:
Civ001 wrote: Really? Because I only see several of them and most other than SB are not very active. I think spacebattles.com is the most active crossover website out there.
NF is far more active their vs section has a constant stream of threads, CBR and KMc vs forums are probably more active than SB. CBUB is probably the oldest vs section out there and always has a very strong member base.

The problem is because of the more general vs forums are so large and influential most sites end up creating one by default to attract members. For example allot of sites that host manga has vs sections because that's what draws people more than any other section of their forum.

your sci fi corner is very small and my guess is SB SDN and ASVS corner the market on it..
Quick questions:
What is NF or KMC or CBUB?
I only know of spacebattles, stardestroyer, comicbookresources, ASVS, and outskirtsbattledome.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:36 am

Civ001 wrote: Quick questions:
I only know of spacebattles, stardestroyer, comicbookresources, ASVS, and outskirtsbattledome
KMC is called killer movies and then there's CBUB which is comic book universe battles. it's CBR's progenitor . Interesting note but those original guys who founded some of the earliest I guess more general non pure sci fi forums especially CBUB are some of the most knowledgeable and intelligent posters out there, they know more about the topics they discuss then any one writers included. Problem is allot of them were sadistic mean spirit cyber bullies who went out of they're way to make you feel really bad when you made a mistake. There's a story about back in 2005 one of the CBR mods had to ban a few of them because a year or two prior they took on this younger poster who was a tad bit too biased in a series she liked and basically had some problems on the side and they attacked her in threads until she attempted suicide and bragged about it for years after.

They're an extinct breed now adays but the founding non sci fi Vs debate culture is extremely mean spirited. The mods on CBUB used to encourage this type of behavior and I always thought it was ironic because they basically hated Mike Wong for doing the exact same thing they did. The cultures watered down but not nearly enough to justify such hypocritical behavior.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:12 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Civ001 wrote: Quick questions:
I only know of spacebattles, stardestroyer, comicbookresources, ASVS, and outskirtsbattledome
KMC is called killer movies and then there's CBUB which is comic book universe battles. it's CBR's progenitor . Interesting note but those original guys who founded some of the earliest I guess more general non pure sci fi forums especially CBUB are some of the most knowledgeable and intelligent posters out there, they know more about the topics they discuss then any one writers included. Problem is allot of them were sadistic mean spirit cyber bullies who went out of they're way to make you feel really bad when you made a mistake. There's a story about back in 2005 one of the CBR mods had to ban a few of them because a year or two prior they took on this younger poster who was a tad bit too biased in a series she liked and basically had some problems on the side and they attacked her in threads until she attempted suicide and bragged about it for years after.

They're an extinct breed now adays but the founding non sci fi Vs debate culture is extremely mean spirited. The mods on CBUB used to encourage this type of behavior and I always thought it was ironic because they basically hated Mike Wong for doing the exact same thing they did. The cultures watered down but not nearly enough to justify such hypocritical behavior.
And people wonder why I lurk for years at a site before becoming a member.

User1652
Padawan

Post by User1652 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 pm

The site that I am most likely planing is going to talk about everything from vs debates to what if scenarios to ISOTed and other stuff.