The physics of space battles

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Picard
Starship Captain

The physics of space battles

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:29 am

http://gizmodo.com/5426453/the-physics-of-space-battles

If you find any other sites with this tematics, put them here.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: The physics of space battles

Post by sonofccn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm

Neat. Through I am really curious how effective flak shells would be in space, to my mind at least the sheer volume your fighting in means your little shards are just going to disperse endlessly out across eternity.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Actually, what matters most is distance at which flak shell explodes from the missile. If it's close enough, some shards will hit. And then you have possibility of making warheads with explosive in the core and, say, 2-cm tungsten balls around it.

Just wait until fighters/missiles come close enough and open up. Althought gatling guns could be better choice, simply beacouse of volume of fire.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Picard wrote:Actually, what matters most is distance at which flak shell explodes from the missile. If it's close enough, some shards will hit. And then you have possibility of making warheads with explosive in the core and, say, 2-cm tungsten balls around it.

Just wait until fighters/missiles come close enough and open up. Althought gatling guns could be better choice, simply beacouse of volume of fire.
thanks!

As for the topic itself here is an Oldie which I found interesting reading even if I think the guy made errors in his thought processes.