Split: SDN Rules, Culture, and Moderation Habits

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:32 pm

l33telboi wrote:On an almost related note. I don't see why using calcs other people have made should somehow be a no-no. People have done that since the beginning of vs. debating.
Viv is a banned member, using his arguments is in effect giving him a way to argue on the board despite a ban, if Omni wanted to use those numbers all he need do was do the maths himself.
Viv never asked OmniBack to post those calculations, in fact he went apeshit when he realized what was happening. What he did was that he PM'd Omni telling him that he didn't support those calcs and that he should either drop the matter or tell SDN members this. OmniBack decided to drop the matter and inform the people that viv didn't agree with them. In other words, he conceeded the argument.
We found that out later, however, posting Vivftp's PM is still circumventing a ban.
Funny thing though. I remember it being Viv telling you who OmniBack was and you then relaying that info to SDN. Wouldn't that make you Viv's mouthpiece as well?
Viv told me? Do you know who I am on SDN and SB? I don't talk to Vivftp and all my Private Messages are saved, on SB, there are 5 PM's from Aratech, one from Tyrant, and another from that Abigail chick who spammed everyones inbox.
I already said it twice, but i suppose saying it a third time can't hurt. I don't care about who or why someone is banned. You don't have to try to justify it to me, i don't really care, you can go 'lol he smells bad' and ban him if you so wanted.
You know, I don't really think I was addressing you, it appeared to me that some people didn't realise exactly why he was banned and took his 'T3h 3bil Warsies banned me 4 bein 2 sm@rt' crap as gospel.

As for you leetel, I despise you, I find you annoying, on SB, SDN, and here, and I wish you'd just shut up and not talk to me, because every conversation you get into with someone you bog down with semantics games and I'm not a very patient person.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:15 pm

WolfRitter wrote:Viv is a banned member, using his arguments is in effect giving him a way to argue on the board despite a ban, if Omni wanted to use those numbers all he need do was do the maths himself.
I see. A slight missunderstanding on my part. If a person is banned then all calculations done by said person, and any arugments made by him, valid or not, are never to be mentioned again.
We found that out later, however, posting Vivftp's PM is still circumventing a ban.
You would've prefered him to not post the message? I dunno, i thought it was quite admirable that he actually did post it. Most people in that situation would've have chosen to not mention it and avoid losing face. But i suppose rules are rules.
Viv told me? Do you know who I am on SDN and SB? I don't talk to Vivftp and all my Private Messages are saved, on SB, there are 5 PM's from Aratech, one from Tyrant, and another from that Abigail chick who spammed everyones inbox.
Hmm. And i was so sure you were THD. My bad.
You know, I don't really think I was addressing you, it appeared to me that some people didn't realise exactly why he was banned and took his 'T3h 3bil Warsies banned me 4 bein 2 sm@rt' crap as gospel.
Damn, you're right. While responding i must've forgot that you didn't adress me directly but rather no one in particular. Happens sometimes.

But when reading the post made here by Omni, i really don't get a 'T3h 3bil Warsies banned me 4 bein 2 sm@rt' vibe. I can't recall him talking in l33t and i think i actually saw him say you were smart.
As for you leetel, I despise you, I find you annoying, on SB, SDN, and here, and I wish you'd just shut up and not talk to me, because every conversation you get into with someone you bog down with semantics games and I'm not a very patient person.
Oh don't worry about it, i'll still love you.

But believe it or not, when you post on an open forum and i disagree with you, i am going to reply to you. Sadly, it's just the way things work. You can try to dismiss what i say as irrelevant and me playing semantics games, if you don't like what i say of course. But in the end, your opinion doesn't count for much.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 pm

WolfRitter wrote:Viv is a banned member, using his arguments is in effect giving him a way to argue on the board despite a ban, if Omni wanted to use those numbers all he need do was do the maths himself.
The sun orbits Earth, right.

Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:47 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
The sun orbits Earth, right.
You might want to explain that. While I happen to disagree that it constituted circumventing a ban because it WASN'T done at vivftp's instigation (who was indeed apparently-shall we say less than thrilled with those numbers being used, and I don't blame him) it DID give him a way to argue on the board despite the ban. It just so happens he didn't WANT that way.

And while there's nothing wrong with using somebody else's calculations, which is something we do every time we refer to the ICSes (well unless you're Saxton I guess), you're supposed to show that they actually WORK and that they DO support your position. OmniBack didn't even try and in the face of an admin demanding he do so.

WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:58 pm

l33telboi wrote:Hmm. And i was so sure you were THD. My bad.
Look at my name on this board, now tell me, does ANYONE have this name in their sig? Perhaps you've seen him arguing in Versus about how much the Leo from Gundam Wing sucks?
l33telboi wrote:Damn, you're right. While responding i must've forgot that you didn't adress me directly but rather no one in particular. Happens sometimes.
And here it is, the dishonest backhanded insults, the reason I prefer SDN over nanny sites.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:31 pm

WolfRitter wrote:Look at my name on this board, now tell me, does ANYONE have this name in their sig? Perhaps you've seen him arguing in Versus about how much the Leo from Gundam Wing sucks?
General Schatte?

Oh, right, the noob that keeps getting banned.
l33telboi wrote:Damn, you're right. While responding i must've forgot that you didn't adress me directly but rather no one in particular. Happens sometimes.

And here it is, the dishonest backhanded insults, the reason I prefer SDN over nanny sites.
How on God's green earth did you interpret that as a backhanded insult? I have no problem insulting people, and seeing as how you've been on SB, you should've seen some of the flame-fests i've been in. Trust me, if i felt like insulting you, it wouldn't be a backhanded remark.

However, i do also tend to try and follow rules - whatever board i'm on.

Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:26 pm

l33telboi wrote:
WolfRitter wrote:Look at my name on this board, now tell me, does ANYONE have this name in their sig? Perhaps you've seen him arguing in Versus about how much the Leo from Gundam Wing sucks?
General Schatte?
Oh, right, the noob that keeps getting banned.
I assume you're referring to SB, as at SDN neither is there a member by the name of General Schatte, nor is General Schatten either a noob or has ever been banned to my knowledge.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 pm

Batman wrote:I assume you're referring to SB
Yes. And on SB he is known as Schatte.

Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:42 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Batman wrote:I assume you're referring to SB
Yes. And on SB he is known as Schatte.
Duly noted, and thank you for clearing it up.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:46 am

Batman wrote:You might want to explain that. While I happen to disagree that it constituted circumventing a ban because it WASN'T done at vivftp's instigation (who was indeed apparently-shall we say less than thrilled with those numbers being used, and I don't blame him) it DID give him a way to argue on the board despite the ban. It just so happens he didn't WANT that way.
Viv has no say on someone's rights to use Viv's work, since he made it public.
Banned or not, from that moment, it should not be a problem for anyone to use those calcs.

The idea that one can't use the work of a person who's been banned is, to say the least, absolutely retarded.
And while there's nothing wrong with using somebody else's calculations, which is something we do every time we refer to the ICSes (well unless you're Saxton I guess), you're supposed to show that they actually WORK and that they DO support your position.
We will, of course, appreciate the double/triple irony of this comment. ;)

Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:00 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Batman wrote:You might want to explain that. While I happen to disagree that it constituted circumventing a ban because it WASN'T done at vivftp's instigation (who was indeed apparently-shall we say less than thrilled with those numbers being used, and I don't blame him) it DID give him a way to argue on the board despite the ban. It just so happens he didn't WANT that way.
Viv has no say on someone's rights to use Viv's work, since he made it public.
Banned or not, from that moment, it should not be a problem for anyone to use those calcs.
...as long as they can back them up. Omni didn't even TRY.
And while there's nothing wrong with using somebody else's calculations, which is something we do every time we refer to the ICSes (well unless you're Saxton I guess), you're supposed to show that they actually WORK and that they DO support your position.
We will, of course, appreciate the double/triple irony of this comment. ;)
Batman. Absolutely no sense of humour. IOW how about you explain.

WolfRitter
Padawan

Post by WolfRitter » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:57 am

l33telboi wrote:Oh, right, the noob that keeps getting banned.
Keeps? I was tempbanned once for flaming a racist.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:19 pm

Batman wrote:...

What's the point of using someone else's calc, if I'm 'supposed' to do my own calc?

And how exactly am I supposed to 'back up' someone else's calc?

Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:49 pm

OmniBack wrote:
Batman wrote:...
What's the point of using someone else's calc, if I'm 'supposed' to do my own calc?
It would show that you actually UNDERSTOOD those calcs.
And how exactly am I supposed to 'back up' someone else's calc?
The same way they are supposed to, by showing they actually match what's shown onscreen? Which vivftp's calcs spectacularly fail to do, which I assume factored into him disavowing them?

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:54 pm

Praeothmin wrote:*snip long and pointless previously refuted rant on ICS*
You know, this would be alot more effective if you'd pack your butt on over to SDN and complain there rather than bunker down here where no one can hear you.