Split: SDN Rules, Culture, and Moderation Habits

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Nonamer
Jedi Knight

Post by Nonamer » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:48 am

Alyeska wrote:
Nonamer wrote:Pot. Kettle. Black.
You jump on something that has absolutely nothing to do with the previous discussions just to fire off a barb at me. You don't see me attacking every little thing you say.
Consider for a moment, the reason you are here.

Anyways, I'm tired of this. I'm stopping from on out.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:01 pm

Alyeska wrote:I was having a single discussion in this thread and it has been split three or four times now.
Because discussion in this thread kept getting dragged back off topic, split after split. If you had cooperated in moving discussion to the first split thread, that wouldn't be a problem. We have a clear policy that digression from the thread topic will be split; if you haven't read them already, go read the rules carefully, they strongly suggest creating new threads for significant digressions.

It really is easier to follow that way.
Last edited by Jedi Master Spock on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:36 pm

Keiran wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:Interesting, but side-tracking roundabout through velocity still isn't simple repetition.
True, my example posts probably weren't the best. But tell me this (near the end of the thread) doesn't sound familiar:
AVOGARDO wrote:If there would be another source of gravitation, it would sum up to a lightly changed pull. The pull of a source of gravitation would increase, the more its source get near to you (or you to it.) Thus you can determine the velocity throug the increasing force of the pull, if you assume, that the source doesn't change its own mass.
Sounds a lot like this?
AVOGARDO wrote:If the ship is travelling to you with a constant velocity, you can calculate this with the increasing gravitation, unless you think, it would loss its own mass while it is flying.
This is a scenario I had already proven false much earlier: "you don't know if it's a big object moving slowly or a small object moving quickly." You need more information than what he gives in the scenario.
And again, it boils down to the same thing. If you have the mass, you can get the distance and velocity; if you have the distance, you can get the mass and velocity, etc.
There's more to it than just that, given that each gravimeter is going to lump everything within detection range into one vector. You'll have a bunch of possible gravity well combinations that could match your readings, and the problem becomes trying to figure out which range of possibilities is close enough and which ranges to ignore.
I'll address this in a fresh thread, since there's clearly interest in discussing it further.
Hyperbole is not dishonesty, especially when the term "astrophysicist" can be used to describe a "scientist" who is an "accepted expert" on gravitons. (Somehow, I don't think undergrads count as accepted experts.)
Actually, hyperbole is dishonesty. You're saying something that even you don't think to be true.

It is easy to imagine that the proper undergrad student could be considered someone worth listening to from AVOGARDO's statement. Or the lab assistant, the graduate student, a high school physics teacher, etc. He doesn't set very specific limits in his statement, while your reinterpretation does.
My issue with what he said was the construct of "I'll also accept speculation from someone knowledgeable, but he must be a scientist and an accepted expert on gravitons, and he must not be an engineer" is nonsense if accepted at face value. The fact that he went into detail on requirements and made an exclusionary clause is very telling.
See... he didn't say that they must be a scientist. He would definitely accept one from an appropriate scientist, but as he angrily pointed out, "even" is not the same as "only." Even the scientist need not be an astrophysicist - I pointed out that all sorts of other scientists can qualify under the explanation. To judge by what was actually said is to clearly exonerate him of the charge of lying; the only thing present is a disagreement between you and him on what he "really meant" when he said it.
Actually, he's way off. (As was your estimation. Check your math: intensity is reduced by the square of distance.
Not at all. I pointed out that Mars was apparently an exaggeration, and that the Moon would have been a more appropriate reference (and it is). As I indicated, snowflakes vary quite wildly in size, and the minimum threshold for detection is lower than the typical signal received and resolved from background noise.
He was using it as evidence for his claim. It was fallacious. And considering the differences between a radio telescope and a gravimeter, he's still way off.
So why not point that out instead? Why try to hang your hat on a resolution claim that you're not even sure of yourself?
The burden of proof was not on us to calculate the answer for him.
And this has what? He was challenged to produce evidence from somewhere else to support his assertions of radio telescope resolution, and he linked to a site that gives you fairly precise technical specifications of a modern radio telescope after telling you that his original statement was a bit hyperbolic and overblown (and if you'd actually read through the website he provided, you would have had those technical specifications on hand to talk about the resolution.) What's wrong with that?

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:55 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:This thread was specifically created to avoid any side tracking. This is where you can talk about the ICS, figures and such.
A question was asked and I answered. It was not worthy of a split.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:46 am

Alyeska wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:This thread was specifically created to avoid any side tracking. This is where you can talk about the ICS, figures and such.
A question was asked and I answered. It was not worthy of a split.
I strongly disagree. Considering the number of replies alerady generated in the split thread, added to the amount of possible replies ICS related subjects tend to engender, it was wiser to split it.

That way, it's tidier and easier to follow and reply to for all sorts of reasons.
That said, there was a whole post of mine you missed or ignored in the other thread in question.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:49 am

Easier to follow by making people post in three different threads.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:21 am

About three different subjects... :)

I agree with the others, the split was warranted, so that each specific subject be sidetracked in the least.

Although I agree it could give someone a... splitting headache... :)

AnonymousRedShirtEnsign
Jedi Knight

Post by AnonymousRedShirtEnsign » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:30 am

Enough, the thread was split. If we keep discussing the thread being split it will be split into another thread, about thread splitting, which would just be ridiculous.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:14 am

Split this thread! Split this thread!

I couldn't help it.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:53 am

Hello,

I don't want to say, that you have flamed Alyeska. As far as I can see, you were always polite in your diction. That is something, he couldn't have expected at SDN. But this forum is not SDN and outside of this macabre forum, it is self-evident for every normal person, to not openly flame a debater.

But one can be impolite, rude and disrespectful not only by its diction, but also by its behaviour.

I wouldn't want, that one can say about this forum, that we attack someone in an unreasonable hardship only because he has a different opinion.

If Alyeska shouldn't answer anymore, would that mean, that he has conceded and you have won the debate or could it mean, that Alyeska has lost his notion to continue it because your behaviour towards him?

Please evaluate your past behaviour towards Alyeska. Is it an example of what you want this forum to be?

I don't want to be a chaperon. I will not judge your behaviour or you. But I think, yourselves should do it. If you really think, it was OK, continue. If you think, that maybe it was not all OK, maybe you should consider to change your behaviour.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:30 am

Who is like God arbour wrote:If Alyeska shouldn't answer anymore, would that mean, that he has conceded and you have won the debate or could it mean, that Alyeska has lost his notion to continue it because your behaviour towards him?
I'm sure Alyeska will eventually become accustomed to our thread-splitting ways here... and I'm also pretty sure this thread is likely to get split from again. There were many splits involving this thread before Alyeska showed up - it's easy to get off topic on a contentious issue. I'm not picking on Alyeska with the thread splitter tool here.

For example, if discussion on this particular topic continues, it will be soon split over to Technical to see what people think about splitting threads.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:21 am

Praeothmin wrote:
About three different subjects... :)

I agree with the others, the split was warranted, so that each specific subject be sidetracked in the least.

Although I agree it could give someone a... splitting headache... :)
A split headache?
What a foolish remark. :)

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:48 pm

I'd have to agree that SDN is run pretty bad, and full of very stupid people (Some may be actually smart when it comes to math/science, but they're still retards), there are some members from here and SB that I've seen on there that are cool.

For example just look at some of my posts (OmniBack), and the posts of those idiots at SDN.

I was permabanned after 2 days, I have to say I've never seen such stupidity (aside from a few SB posters, and IMDB, YouTube, and Gaia posters), it was horrible... and considering who banned me I really didn't even care.

Anyway I wanted to ask what's the consensus on TechSheets?

I posted an OP with all the info I wanted to collect, and was flamed for not posting the information myself?

Weird.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:28 pm

OmniBack wrote:Anyway I wanted to ask what's the consensus on TechSheets?
TechSheets? Like the one you posted on SB and SDN about the Starcraft Marine? Seems like a good way to go about things, you seem to get a lot more response if you give detailed questions on specific abilities instead of just asking "So, how good's the Marine, anyway?"

Having said that, i think the Marine sheet had a few too many questions. Things that don't really matter in the long run and other things that are perhaps a wee bit obvious to actually put on paper.

Also, you should expect some controversy over certain issues, so a TechSheet like that might never really work without mentioning that there are multiple possobilities and a certain chance for error.

Also, they would be a good source for people unfamiliar with a certain something in vs. debate. You could point them there to get all the proper information, instead of browsing through multiple threads with several pages worth of bickering.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:01 pm

OmniBack wrote:I'd have to agree that SDN is run pretty bad, and full of very stupid people (Some may be actually smart when it comes to math/science, but they're still retards), there are some members from here and SB that I've seen on there that are cool.

For example just look at some of my posts (OmniBack), and the posts of those idiots at SDN.

I was permabanned after 2 days, I have to say I've never seen such stupidity (aside from a few SB posters, and IMDB, YouTube, and Gaia posters), it was horrible... and considering who banned me I really didn't even care.

Anyway I wanted to ask what's the consensus on TechSheets?

I posted an OP with all the info I wanted to collect, and was flamed for not posting the information myself?

Weird.
Part of the reason why the thread was locked was because you posted an OP with nothing in it and expected people to cater to your whims. I suspect if you had filled in the blanks yourself you would have found that an actual discussion might have taken place and it would have remained open. You also didn't read the forum rules thoroughly and complained that there was no edit.