Split: SDN Rules, Culture, and Moderation Habits

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Batman
Padawan

Post by Batman » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:13 am

OmniBack wrote:
Batman wrote: Actually, you're proving mine.
Not really.
Indulge yourself.
Batman wrote:Me showing those calcs to be complete and utter garbage is irrelevant to you using those calcs? DO elaborate.
Whether or not you prove them as incorrect after I use them has no barring on whether they should have been used.
I'll just lat that stand for itself.
Batman wrote:So how exactly does that affect the fact that the guy who did those calculations disavowed them?
Nothing, which is not what I'm talking about so don't twist the issue.
You claim that I ignored the fact that Viv didn't support the calcs, when in fact it was *I* who posted it on SD in the first place.
I claim that you stood by those calculations (which are utterly baseless to begin with) when the guy who originally DID them does NOT.

OmniBack
Padawan

Post by OmniBack » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:07 am

Batman wrote:I claim that you stood by those calculations (which are utterly baseless to begin with) when the guy who originally DID them does NOT.
That's one of the most stupid things you've said to me so far.

The mere fact that I even posted Viv comment should be taken as my concession of the calc.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:47 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Omniback wrote:So a bunch of assclowns on SDN can back him up (ie flame you).
I don't see why calling them names helps anything.
It may be allowed on SDN, but it isn't here.
I'll second that. Omniback, take note, please. This is the second time you've had to be warned about impoliteness.

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:23 pm

OmniBack wrote:
So a bunch of assclowns on SDN can back him up (ie flame you).
Look son, I don't even debate SW/ST or the vast majority of topics on SDN. In fact I'm currently on hiatus from the board due to the nature of the board getting to me. The only reason why I suggest he go to SDN to make his case is because while he's posting here he's effectively shouting in the wind. There's no one here to argue with save like minded people or even have a stimulating debate with. Most of the people on this board are pro-trek save for myself (who doesn't argue the case out of frustration) and the few others from SDN, whom I suspect will also give up out of frustration shortly.

In short, the purpose of going to SDN would be to reach a wider audience. After all the point of arguing SW vs ST on the net is not to convince your opponent but to convince your audience.

Praeothmin and Leet you can consider this a response to your posts as well, just wrapped up into one neat package.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:39 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:
The only reason why I suggest he go to SDN to make his case is because while he's posting here he's effectively shouting in the wind. There's no one here to argue with save like minded people or even have a stimulating debate with
The thing is, I only responded to your post.
You stated that :
You know the usual stuff that's been refuted a thousand times. The thread will then rehash the same ground for ten pages until we give up in frustration. It's one reason why I never argue SW canon on this board anymore.
I simply answered what I felt, to make you see the other side of the coin, and to explain why myself and many others didn't want to go debate at SDN anymore...
Well, that and the fact that (almost) nobody seems to be able to answer to your posts without insulting you in a way... :)

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Fair enough, I think I'm missing something though. So if you want to restate your point then I'll be happy to address it.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:25 pm

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Fair enough, I think I'm missing something though. So if you want to restate your point then I'll be happy to address it.
In essence, what I'm saying is this:
On both sites (SDN and SFJ), people are hardheaded and will not budge from their position.
The difference being, here, even if I disagree with them (and I sometomes do, just look at the Fed Vs Empire thread), I know I won't get insulted and gnag-assaulted.

You see, even in all the threads you've dabated thus far on SFJ (except with omniback), you haven't been insulted or threated as if your were a retard.
I find that refreshing.
Don't you? :)

Cpl Kendall
Jedi Knight

Post by Cpl Kendall » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:38 pm

Praeothmin wrote: In essence, what I'm saying is this:
On both sites (SDN and SFJ), people are hardheaded and will not budge from their position.
Well I am on record as saying that the purpose of arguing on the net isn't to convince your opponent but to convince your audience.
The difference being, here, even if I disagree with them (and I sometomes do, just look at the Fed Vs Empire thread), I know I won't get insulted and gnag-assaulted.

You see, even in all the threads you've dabated thus far on SFJ (except with omniback), you haven't been insulted or threated as if your were a retard.
I find that refreshing.
Don't you? :)
Well I will for forgive Omniback as I assume it's just his youth talking. But it is nice that people are polite, although I feel there is a time and a place for insults and swearing. Every board has it's own style, SDN takes some getting used to and SFJ took some adjustment when I came here.