Federation vs Empire Am I reading this right?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Federation vs Empire Am I reading this right?

Post by Khas » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm pretty sure he was talking about Insurrection where Riker uses a joystick to manually pilot the Enterprise.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:11 am

that seems so odd and wrong. the enterprise is way too ginormous to be controlled via joystick.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:15 am

I will comment that kyosanim is indeed wrong to say that the air adds extra energy to an explosion. This marks one of the rare occasions Leo1 is indeed correct in a dispute on SB.com.

Atmosphere transforms the energy into a more destructive form (absorbing hard radiation and turning it into kinetic energy, i.e., changing from thermal to blast effects), and it is true that a nuke in space is, in a certain sense, less destructive than a nuke in atmosphere; but it is no more and no less energetic.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:31 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I will comment that kyosanim is indeed wrong to say that the air adds extra energy to an explosion. This marks one of the rare occasions Leo1 is indeed correct in a dispute on SB.com.

Atmosphere transforms the energy into a more destructive form (absorbing hard radiation and turning it into kinetic energy, i.e., changing from thermal to blast effects), and it is true that a nuke in space is, in a certain sense, less destructive than a nuke in atmosphere; but it is no more and no less energetic.
This is not exactly surprising. Kyosanim is the worst kind of specimen you'll find at SBC when it comes to Trekkies.
I broke my teeth on his scalp trying to get him understand a simple problem of perspective and volumes. What did I do there!
So it's quite easy to strike points then. You don't need to be extremely clever to score anything against Kyosanim. At some point, his trolling was just insane.

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:28 am

Lucky wrote:I've been keeping track of this thread http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=202912 at SpaceBattle.com, and I'm not sure I'm understanding Leo1's argument. It looks like Leo1 is arguing that Star Trek ships are manually piloted, but that would mean Star Trek pilots have super-human reaction times. This seems rather out of character for Leo1 since it would mean the T.I.E. would have no chance of matching the Federation pilots.
Er what? No Leo isn't suggesting that at all. He claimed that the control panel scheme was less intuitive, and then Kor came along talking about how superior it was to the joystick. From there, the knives came out (honestly what is stopping you people just getting an account on SB and confronting him yourself??).

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:30 pm

The answer to your question is that several people here already have or had accounts on SBC. It's hard to confront and call BS on someone when the mods are biased against you right from the get-go, and will side with the person you're arguing against.
-Mike

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THE THREADS YOU OBJECT TO EXIST TO SHOW, STARWARSSTA-- I MEAN MR. ATOM.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:20 am

Lucky wrote:I've been keeping track of this thread http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=202912 at SpaceBattle.com, and I'm not sure I'm understanding Leo1's argument. It looks like Leo1 is arguing that Star Trek ships are manually piloted, but that would mean Star Trek pilots have super-human reaction times. This seems rather out of character for Leo1 since it would mean the T.I.E. would have no chance of matching the Federation pilots.
the atom wrote: Er what? No Leo isn't suggesting that at all. He claimed that the control panel scheme was less intuitive, and then Kor came along talking about how superior it was to the joystick. From there, the knives came out (honestly what is stopping you people just getting an account on SB and confronting him yourself??).
Leo1 in arguing his/her case was unknowingly arguing that Star Trek humans are super human bad asses who have relativistic if not FTL reflexes while ignoring any event that contradicted his/her point.

By not trying to argue for advanced AI assisted piloting he/she argued that Federation shuttle pilots could manually pilot ships that accelerate at thousands of kilometers a second, and can reach at least light speed on sub-light drives.

The Phoenix, a ship built in a cave from a box of scraps was accelerating at about 1000 kilometers a second, and the Enterprise-E was doing at least twice that.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:00 am

BOOM SHAKALAKA

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:52 am

mojo wrote:BOOM SHAKALAKA
Huh?

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:48 am

am i showing my age here?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:48 am

mojo wrote:am i showing my age here?
If it was suppose to be a rimshot sound effects can be hard to read.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0PIdWdw15U