SBC's current 40K's firepower thread

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: SBC's current 40K's firepower thread

Post by Khas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:32 am

the atom wrote:It could be one of three things I suppose.

1: The people there like his art

2: DeviantArt users are a little unbalanced to begin with.

3: We are all in fact neo-nazis, and despise jewish people.
I mean, if it was just his Warhammer 40K fanart that was so popular, that wouldn't be terrible. It's the fact that his art that reflects his political views is, and many of the people who fave those works are also WH40K fans.

As for dA members being a little unbalanced, what else can you expect from a website with 16 million people (last I checked)? This proved especially true in my debate with gardevoir4020. That was just nuts.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 am

the atom wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:Somehow, the atom had something to say but he deleted his post.
Actually I had to edit something, but for some reason my posts don't show up until 2 hours after the fact, even if it's to edit something.
The reason for that is that there is a delay on newbie's posts due to some abuse in the past by inceasingly sophisticated spambots and someone who abused sock puppet accounts.
-Mike

User1663
Padawan

Post by User1663 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 am

Khas wrote:I mean, if it was just his Warhammer 40K fanart that was so popular, that wouldn't be terrible. It's the fact that his art that reflects his political views is, and many of the people who fave those works are also WH40K fans.

As for dA members being a little unbalanced, what else can you expect from a website with 16 million people (last I checked)? This proved especially true in my debate with gardevoir4020. That was just nuts.
Well in fairness his stuff is pretty good and does capture the extreme 'grimdark' spirit of the setting. So what if he's a psychotic nazi fuck and attracts a few crazy groupies? It's an extremely small chunk of the fanbase and, as mentioned, DA members can be a little off to begin with.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:44 pm

The atom wrote:Funny how that sort of logic is never once applied to Star Trek on any issue ever.
You have proof of that, I imagine?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:59 pm

the atom wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:It's rather interesting that on the pieces chosen by inflaters, many tend to be extremely flowery and exaggerated, without having any clue if technically, the results would be anything like what an author or character claims. Simply put, even the author can fall prey to hyperbole and such forms of accentuation. I've once shown in one of the 40K threads that an author used the term atomized to describe destructive events which never claim to close to turn to atoms a given target or piece of the scenery, and that because we could see that by the description provided by the same author, the words he used were meant to convey an epic tone at any possible time, while certainly being meant to be taken literally.
So because it's hyperbole it clearly must be orders of magnitude lower right?
By definition, if it's hyperbole, yes, the reality is not so marvellous. Hyeprbole, flowery language, overdramatization is the meat and potatoes of 40K. It's satire, not supposed to be so serious.
What I do is that between hyperbole and a clear description of what we have, I go with the clear description. You can find hyperbole in many franchises, it's not the problem. The problem is recognizing it and acting accordingly.
As usual, we can't stress enough how it's stupid to assign gigaton to petatons to ships who can fly at .75c and precisely shoot at the same time when the effects of such weapons on a planet would be much more potent than any goddamn Exterminatus.
Funny how that sort of logic is never once applied to Star Trek on any issue ever.
Hey. Read this board. You'll see that I don't give Star Trek any free pass.
While I agree the 'atomized' is obvious hyperbole, the fact of the matter is that according to the quote, said weapons do have an area of effect that, by lowest interpretations, is probably around 1000km or so (depending on your definition of 'continent'). Assuming that we're talking about thermal burn radius alone, that gives as a yield of 100 gigatons per-shot.
Time is not mentionned. Why assume one salvo? Why not a constant bombardment?
We don't even know what it the true extent of destruction. Atomized doesn't say much. Since it's obviously hyperbole (otherwise each ship would have a firepower approaching a mini Death Star), we just cannot tell for sure how far destruction needs to be brought upon a continent for it to be considered destroyed. Destroy itself ia term that is very loosely used.
This is so important. I've seen "the atom" at SBC, in the part deux thread about firepower, use some of those meticulously picked quotes that contain a lot of such flowery language.
I also notice that the bloke never ever references the quotes that clearly dispute "his" interpretations. For one, he'll constantly hold to the old and revised 610 GT quote, but never honestly cite any of those that simply cap the firepower at anything from kilotons to megatons for the most powerful guns.
I'm quite all ears if you have a bunch of examples that dispute the quotes that were posted by me and others.
OK. I'm not going to repeat all I have already posted in the other vs forum we have here. There are plenty of 40K threads I started. Pick any, you'll see what I mean. Notice that the threads often copy the name of those from SDN, for the simple reason that there were commentaries on such threads. Also, keep in mind that the threads that refer to miscellaneous old editions like 1ed/2ed and 3ed/4ed are the oldest, and I was starting to go through 40K and learning on the way. But I did learn fast.
The newer threads are those dedicated to books. Other times, when I can't start a thread about a given topic or quote because it's not worth a thread on its own, I just bump the "Miscellanous" thread we also have.
I'm not saying my words are gospel, but if for one minute, people could actually just remove some cumbersome eye lids and see that it's not all one sided, perhaps we could get *somewhere*.
It's just as of yet, people like ricery and Mith just seem to whine as opposed to putting forward their own quotes or evidence.
Well, Ricery, I don't really like his ways. One day he suddenly swapped sides and went full steam against 40K.
Mith, in general, does a good job. I've seen him in the latest 40K thread pursue the point about mass lightening and nova cannons (and in fact all projectiles as a matter of fact), and if people actually thought for once instead of yapping endlessly, they'd have realized that he was making a good point.
The mass lightening topic wasn't new. It's precisely on that basis, despite the evidence I did provide, that I got banned.
Really though, if you have something to say about the issue, say it there and don't go snivelling around behind people's back like a rat
There where, genius?
I'm banned from SBC, and I don't think I need to reach anyone who I'm going to refer to in some random post. Do you think I should send an email to Saxton every time I criticize his work? Bollocks. You live in a weird world.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:05 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
the atom wrote:Really though, if you have something to say about the issue, say it there and don't go snivelling around behind people's back like a rat
There where, genius?
I'm banned from SBC, and I don't think I need to reach anyone who I'm going to refer to in some random post. Do you think I should send an email to Saxton every time I criticize his work? Bollocks. You live in a weird world.
Hey, ease it up. Both of you. Next time it's an offical warning for you two.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:18 pm

the atom wrote:
Khas wrote:I mean, if it was just his Warhammer 40K fanart that was so popular, that wouldn't be terrible. It's the fact that his art that reflects his political views is, and many of the people who fave those works are also WH40K fans.

Well in fairness his stuff is pretty good and does capture the extreme 'grimdark' spirit of the setting. So what if he's a psychotic nazi fuck and attracts a few crazy groupies? It's an extremely small chunk of the fanbase and, as mentioned, DA members can be a little off to begin with.
I know his art is good. If he wasn't a Neo-Nazi, I'd friend him in a heartbeat.

And this is all beside the point of the original post I made, which was that I thought it would be funny if SDN learned this fact.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:47 pm

OK, sorry for orientating the LMAO thread's part about 40K firepower here, but it's a long post I'm dropping here.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The atom may be tired of posting his list, but has he really realized that the evidence he keeps posting is not working so well?

Let's get a look at his post, without any comments of mine first.
the atom wrote:
“The Thousand Sons warships Alexandretta and Phosis T’Kar assumed geostationary orbit one hundred kilometres above the Fang and prepared their payloads for dispersal. The two ships had minimal crew – fewer than two thousand each – and virtually no void-war armaments. They’d been shielded from the battle by a dozen frigates and kept away from harm by ships more suited to close combat. In form, they resembled huge cylinders on a vertical axis wedged through the clinging superstructure of a conventional warship. Everything on board the two ships was designed to feed those cylinders, to keep them supplied with huge amounts of promethium and heavy plasma-derivatives they needed to operate. The curved muzzles were aimed planetwards, ready to unload the energies already cradling within their polished walls. Aphael called them planet-scourers. They were capable of levelling cities and razing continents Pgs.98
“Even though the Imperium had arms that could devastate continents, its victory here would once again be gained by its exhausted soldiers grappling toe to toe with its foes.”
Pg.166 Imperial Glory
“It would be possible to maufacture a missile of any size: from a weapon a litle larger than a normal launcher shell, to one capable of wiping out a city, province or continent.” Pg.99 (PDF version) Rogue trader
Running almost the complete length of the battleship, the starboard and port batteries were capable of unleashing an incredible amount of f repower, easily enough to cripple even the largest warship with a single barrage, or lay waste to entire continents if she entered the upper atmosphere of a rebellious planet. Indeed, the resistance of entire planets had crumpled merely at her appearance in their sub-system, fearful of the wrath that she could unleash.”
Pg.14 Dark Disciple
And of course we could always take this next one literally if we felt so inclined (though I err on the side of conservatism here)

“Every weapon in the warship’s arsenal was prepared and oriented down at the surface – torpedo arrays filled with warshots that could atomise whole continents, energy cannons capable of boiling off oceans, kinetic killers that could behead mountains through the brute force of their impacts.”
- Nemesis, pg. 375
“A bombardment had begun, and the people of Dagonet’s capital feared it was the end of the world.
They knew so litle of the reality of things. High above in orbit, it was only the warship Thanato that fired on the city, and even then it was not with the vessel’s most powerful cannons. The people did not know that a fleet of craft were poised in silence around their sister ship, watchful and waiting. Had all the vessels of the Warmaster’s flotilla unleashed their killpower, then indeed those fears would have come true; the planet’s crust cracked, the continents sliced open. Perhaps those things would happen, soon enough – but for now it was sufficient for the Thanato to hurl inert kinetic kill-rods down through the atmosphere, the sky-spliting shriek of their passage climaxed by a lowing thunder as the warshots obliterated power stations, military compounds and the vast mansion-houses of the noble clans. From the ground it seemed like wanton destruction; from orbit, it was a shrewd and surgical pattern of attack.”
- Nemesis, pgs. 417-418
Below the world burned too. The fleet’s bombardment had torched Prospero, and ignited the atmosphere. Spiral patterns of soot and particulated debris thousands of leagues across cycled like hurricanes. Giant columns of plasma energy had roasted all vegetation and wildlife, and turned the seas into scalding banks of steam and toxic gas. Vast las bombardments from the heavy batteries had evaporated river deltas and flash-thawed ice-caps. Kinetic munitions and gravity bombs had fallen like Helwinter hail, and planted new forests of bright liquid flame that sprouted and grew, spread and died back, all in a few minutes. Shoals of targeted missiles, silver-swift as midsummer fish running from a catchers net, delivered warheads that blasted the soil into the sky and thickened the air into poisonous soup. Magma bombs and atomics, the godhammers, had altered the geography itself. Mountains had been levelled , plains split, valleys thrown up into new hills of rubble and spoil. Prospero’s crust had fractured. We saw the throbbing, glowing tracks of its mortal wounds, brand new canyons of fire that split entire continents. This was the grand alchemy of war. Heat and light, and energy and fission that transformed water into steam, rock into dust, sand into glass, bone into gas. Swirling mushroom clouds, as tall as our Aett on Fenris, punctuated the horizon we rushed towards.”-Prospero Burns
From the window of the chapel, through the panes of stained glass, he watched Dynikas V turning away from him, as if it were afraid to show its face. Nuclear firestorms the size of continents crossed the surface, shock-rings from multiple detonations boring down into the mantle and bedrock of the ocean world. The seas were already boiling into void as the atmosphere dissipated, the orbiting gunskulls consumed by the same fires. Within a day, perhaps less, the fifth planet would be litle more than a scorched ember, and everything on it just a memory. The taint of Chaos and of the alien had been scoured clean.
Black Tide Pg.158
“Like the hand of a god it reared its fingers across themoon’s horizon. Four thousand metres away, thecityscapes of twinkling lance batteries, torpedo banksand gun turrets welcomed them with a taut, breathlesstension. Although the broadsides were capable of dismantlingcontinents, they were far too ponderous to harm the Harvester . Cloaked by refraction, the dark eldar shippierced the Cauldron Born ’s scans, registering asnothing more than tiny space debris.”
Pg.163 Blood Gorgons
“To ensure no trace of the Daemon and its cult remained, Ludoldus ordered the planet bombarded from orbit until the massive forces unleashed tore the planet’s crust apart and buried it beneath an ocean of seething magma.”Pg.22 Black Templars Codex
The first was from the office of the High Admiral stating that all battleships capable of planetary bombardment were fully engaged and that none could be spared to make a round-trip to Voor, even just to bomb a small part of it. The second one was from the office of the Imperial Governor of Voor, who had been copied in on the first communiqué which included a lengthy study demonstrating that any such bombardment on the scale necessary would cause such ecological damage to the planet as to force the colony to be abandoned. It included a short personal note from the governor herself, somewhat wryly observing that they had only begun colonising the world a century ago and that she had wondered how long it would take the Imperium to want to start blowing pieces of it up.
Pgs.37-38 Imperial Glory
“The last of the Dirge Raiders spiralled down into the atmosphere of Rahe’s Paradise, flames pouring from its engine vents and
armoured plates free falling from its hull. Beneath its fall, the planet’s surface was vaguely visible beneath the clouds of toxic
smoke and viral contagions that roiled around in the atmosphere. The Exterminatus arrays had caused all of the volcanoes around
the equator to erupt at once, spilling the planet’s core out onto its surface and effectively turning the entire world inside out. For
good measure, the epic bombardment had continued, throwing viral and bacterial agents down into the mix to ensure that nothing
could survive, even if it could swim in molten rock and breath sulphur. In a matter of minutes, the atmosphere had been
completely eaten away and then, in less than an hour, the planet’s structural integrity collapsed and it simply fell apart, scattering
itself into asteroids and meteorites.Pg.203 Dawn of War Omnibus
(Thanks Reaper)

Then of course there's this bit of hilarity which, if you want to play at the high numbers game, we can always take literally :

The Aggressor Libertus, a significant ship in its own right, began firing as it turned, loosing as much as it could at the oncoming [TORMAGEDDON MONSTRUM REX]. The daemon ship's shields held firm. The Libertus's barrage, enough to strip a hive down to the mantle, spattered off the voidshields like firecrackers. - Salvation's Reach, pgs. 172-173
(Orsai found this bit)

“The majestic form of the Vae Victus slowly angled its massive bulk towards the surface of Pavonis, powerful energies building in her forward linear accelerators. Few men knew the awesome power of destruction the captain of a starship possessed; the power to level cities and crack continents.”-Nightbringer, p.161
"Blotting out a patch of that light was a planetoid about the size of Jupiter's small inner moon, Io."
"A battleship, three cruisers and any number of improvised spacecraft had formed a staggered crescent around one half of the ancient planetoid and were sending massed laser fire slicing into its surface. Nothing else would have sufficed for the task; thermonuclear bombardment would no more than have dented the blacked-out landscape. Only high-density lasers carried enough energy to dig through the planetary crust and penetrate the mantle beneath, carving up the litle world as if it were a ripe melon."
"It was at that moment that Magron noticed something happening on the planetoid below. A glow was emanating from it, becoming brighter and brighter. Despite the raging space battle ranging over the planetoid, the Imperial task force had managed to sustain the laser barrage. Now it was working, and what was more, it was working better than its directors had planned. The beams had scythed through the planet, had cut aside the crust and had delved deep into the mantle in search of the deep keeps."Pgs.51-53 Eye of Terror
(Thanks again to Reaper)

"Unchecked the death cultists gained access to part of the defence missile silo network, and in a suicidal rage unleashed a rain of atomic and plasma warheads which shattered its hive cities and succeeded in disrupting the planet's orbit for several years. The reuslting permanent winter, radioactive fallout and tectonic upheavals annihilated all life on Cygnax"-Imperial Armour: Badab War
Even more so than torpedoes, Nova Cannon ammunition is hideously expensive, and requires purchase. In addition, the weapons fire slowly and have a fixed minimum range (too close and they could easily destroy their own ship). However, when one has enough firepower to scour the face of a planet, one tends to see such concerns as trivial.
Shortly afterwards, a flotilla of Naval and Inquisition vessels had joined the Ravenous Spirit in orbit and had proceeded to launch an unrelenting barrage of lance strikes, mass drivers and cyclone torpedoes, reducing the once green world to a primeval, molten state.Dawn of War, page 98
(Credit for those go to Connor)
“Most cruisers carry huge torpedoes as well, loaded with multiple warheads charged with volatile plasma bombs, carrying the power to unleash the energy of a small star on the enemy. It makes my humble laspistol look like a spit in an ocean. More like a hundred oceans, actually.” 13th Legion, p.135
Nova Cannons are a classification of exceptionally powerful weaponry that can only be mounted upon capital ships. Mounted below the heavily armoured prows of Imperial Navy cruisers and battleships, Nova Cannons have few equals in terms of thier range or destructive power. While variation exists, a typical Nova Cannon consists of an array of potent gravimetric impellers designed to accelerate a projectile to a fraction of the speed of light. These projectiles vary more than the nature of the cannons themselves, ranging from sophisticated plasma warheads which burn with the ferocity of a small star for a fraction of a second, to implosive devices which exert destructive gravitational forces upon all those caught within several thousand kilometres of the detonation. In any case, a well-used Nova Cannon is a terrifying thing to face, as much a psychological tool as a weapon." - Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, Pg. 15 - The Weapons of War: Nova Cannons
And finally we have the good ol' Caves of Ice calcs.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

So here we go.
“The Thousand Sons warships Alexandretta and Phosis T’Kar assumed geostationary orbit one hundred kilometres above the Fang and prepared their payloads for dispersal. The two ships had minimal crew – fewer than two thousand each – and virtually no void-war armaments. They’d been shielded from the battle by a dozen frigates and kept away from harm by ships more suited to close combat. In form, they resembled huge cylinders on a vertical axis wedged through the clinging superstructure of a conventional warship. Everything on board the two ships was designed to feed those cylinders, to keep them supplied with huge amounts of promethium and heavy plasma-derivatives they needed to operate. The curved muzzles were aimed planetwards, ready to unload the energies already cradling within their polished walls. Aphael called them planet-scourers. They were capable of levelling cities and razing continents.
Pgs.98
No time given.
“Even though the Imperium had arms that could devastate continents, its victory here would once again be gained by its exhausted soldiers grappling toe to toe with its foes.”
Pg.166 Imperial Glory
Could work as a positive.
If the arms could only blast cities, it would be pointed out, and if the description was a reference to the total amount of firepower of a given duration, then we could consider that they could devastate a planet.
So we got one continent wrecking description here.
High gigaton firepower at least.

Of course, considering how quotes which seemed to solid in their defense of insane firepower proved not to be so shut-the-debate deals (see Nemesis as below for just one example), we'd be happy to see if that book is really that consistent or if we're not dealing with some hyperbole.
“It would be possible to maufacture a missile of any size: from a weapon a litle larger than a normal launcher shell, to one capable of wiping out a city, province or continent.”
Pg.99 (PDF version) Rogue trader
Stating the obvious. It means that they have built such monstrosities which can actually damage continents.
No doubt that building a heavy cargo sized missile will clearly allow for a huge amount of nuclear material to be packed inside and properly detonated.
Let's just note that the latest edition of Rogue Trader gives warships' heavy weapons a firepower on the terawatt/joule range in fact.
Running almost the complete length of the battleship, the starboard and port batteries were capable of unleashing an incredible amount of firepower, easily enough to cripple even the largest warship with a single barrage, or lay waste to entire continents if she entered the upper atmosphere of a rebellious planet. Indeed, the resistance of entire planets had crumpled merely at her appearance in their sub-system, fearful of the wrath that she could unleash.”
Pg.14 Dark Disciple
Not enough. Entering the upper atmosphere means that the ship will have a limited line of sight which simply prevents the ship from having an arc of fire greater than what could cover a continent anyway.
No time or magnitude of destruction given either.

“Every weapon in the warship’s arsenal was prepared and oriented down at the surface – torpedo arrays filled with warshots that could atomise whole continents, energy cannons capable of boiling off oceans, kinetic killers that could behead mountains through the brute force of their impacts.”
- Nemesis, pg. 375
“A bombardment had begun, and the people of Dagonet’s capital feared it was the end of the world.
They knew so litle of the reality of things. High above in orbit, it was only the warship Thanato that fired on the city, and even then it was not with the vessel’s most powerful cannons. The people did not know that a fleet of craft were poised in silence around their sister ship, watchful and waiting. Had all the vessels of the Warmaster’s flotilla unleashed their killpower, then indeed those fears would have come true; the planet’s crust cracked, the continents sliced open. Perhaps those things would happen, soon enough – but for now it was sufficient for the Thanato to hurl inert kinetic kill-rods down through the atmosphere, the sky-spliting shriek of their passage climaxed by a lowing thunder as the warshots obliterated power stations, military compounds and the vast mansion-houses of the noble clans. From the ground it seemed like wanton destruction; from orbit, it was a shrewd and surgical pattern of attack.”
- Nemesis, pgs. 417-418
Nemesis is a recent source which I noted really went for the big numbers. However, to the uninformed reader, this will achieve the effect craved by rabid hammies.
The truth actually is very different.
I urge you to read my post.

Below the world burned too. The fleet’s bombardment had torched Prospero, and ignited the atmosphere. Spiral patterns of soot and particulated debris thousands of leagues across cycled like hurricanes. Giant columns of plasma energy had roasted all vegetation and wildlife, and turned the seas into scalding banks of steam and toxic gas. Vast las bombardments from the heavy batteries had evaporated river deltas and flash-thawed ice-caps. Kinetic munitions and gravity bombs had fallen like Helwinter hail, and planted new forests of bright liquid flame that sprouted and grew, spread and died back, all in a few minutes. Shoals of targeted missiles, silver-swift as midsummer fish running from a catchers net, delivered warheads that blasted the soil into the sky and thickened the air into poisonous soup. Magma bombs and atomics, the godhammers, had altered the geography itself. Mountains had been levelled , plains split, valleys thrown up into new hills of rubble and spoil. Prospero’s crust had fractured. We saw the throbbing, glowing tracks of its mortal wounds, brand new canyons of fire that split entire continents. This was the grand alchemy of war. Heat and light, and energy and fission that transformed water into steam, rock into dust, sand into glass, bone into gas. Swirling mushroom clouds, as tall as our Aett on Fenris, punctuated the horizon we rushed towards.”
-Prospero Burns
See this post.
From the window of the chapel, through the panes of stained glass, he watched Dynikas V turning away from him, as if it were afraid to show its face. Nuclear firestorms the size of continents crossed the surface, shock-rings from multiple detonations boring down into the mantle and bedrock of the ocean world. The seas were already boiling into void as the atmosphere dissipated, the orbiting gunskulls consumed by the same fires. Within a day, perhaps less, the fifth planet would be litle more than a scorched ember, and everything on it just a memory. The taint of Chaos and of the alien had been scoured clean.
Black Tide Pg.158
For that one, see here.
“Like the hand of a god it reared its fingers across the moon’s horizon. Four thousand metres away, the cityscapes of twinkling lance batteries, torpedo banks and gun turrets welcomed them with a taut, breathless tension. Although the broadsides were capable of dismantling continents, they were far too ponderous to harm the Harvester. Cloaked by refraction, the dark eldar ship pierced the Cauldron Born’s scans, registering as nothing more than tiny space debris.”
Pg.163 Blood Gorgons
Let's say that's another one for hyper yields.
“To ensure no trace of the Daemon and its cult remained, Ludoldus ordered the planet bombarded from orbit until the massive forces unleashed tore the planet’s crust apart and buried it beneath an ocean of seething magma.”
Pg.22 Black Templars Codex
Any reason to believe he was literal?
Did this even happen?
... Oh wait. First, it's on page 20 in the latest editions, not 22. Secondly, I guess it would actually help to mention what is present on page 19 -- namely that the planet in question, Peleregon IV, is described as "a mountainous world of shifting tectonics and rivers of lava."
Black Templars, Inquisitor Ludoldus' men and a bunch of chicks from the Bloody Rose tracked and destroyed the assassin-cult located on the planet. The cult had built "a great temple carved within the heart of a continent-spanning volcano." The "fiery mountain stronghold".
The first was from the office of the High Admiral stating that all battleships capable of planetary bombardment were fully engaged and that none could be spared to make a round-trip to Voor, even just to bomb a small part of it. The second one was from the office of the Imperial Governor of Voor, who had been copied in on the first communiqué which included a lengthy study demonstrating that any such bombardment on the scale necessary would cause such ecological damage to the planet as to force the colony to be abandoned. It included a short personal note from the governor herself, somewhat wryly observing that they had only begun colonising the world a century ago and that she had wondered how long it would take the Imperium to want to start blowing pieces of it up.
Pgs.37-38 Imperial Glory
Vague, useless.
“The last of the Dirge Raiders spiralled down into the atmosphere of Rahe’s Paradise, flames pouring from its engine vents and
armoured plates free falling from its hull. Beneath its fall, the planet’s surface was vaguely visible beneath the clouds of toxic
smoke and viral contagions that roiled around in the atmosphere. The Exterminatus arrays had caused all of the volcanoes around
the equator to erupt at once, spilling the planet’s core out onto its surface and effectively turning the entire world inside out. For
good measure, the epic bombardment had continued, throwing viral and bacterial agents down into the mix to ensure that nothing
could survive, even if it could swim in molten rock and breath sulphur. In a matter of minutes, the atmosphere had been
completely eaten away and then, in less than an hour, the planet’s structural integrity collapsed and it simply fell apart, scattering
itself into asteroids and meteorites.
Pg.203 Dawn of War Omnibus
(Thanks Reaper)
Exterminatus.
Technobabble weapons involved.
That's not conventional firepower.
Then of course there's this bit of hilarity which, if you want to play at the high numbers game, we can always take literally :
The Aggressor Libertus, a significant ship in its own right, began firing as it turned, loosing as much as it could at the oncoming [TORMAGEDDON MONSTRUM REX]. The daemon ship's shields held firm. The Libertus's barrage, enough to strip a hive down to the mantle, spattered off the voidshields like firecrackers.
- Salvation's Reach, pgs. 172-173
(Orsai found this bit)
More information would be necessary to tell us how long this barrage lasted.
You could get several megatons per shot to gigatons.
“The majestic form of the Vae Victus slowly angled its massive bulk towards the surface of Pavonis, powerful energies building in her forward linear accelerators. Few men knew the awesome power of destruction the captain of a starship possessed; the power to level cities and crack continents.”
-Nightbringer, p.161
See here, second half of the post. It's the same novel wherein those massive warships are considerably threatened by asteroids which, for all intents and purposes, don't seem to move particularly fast.
It goes without saying that cracking continents and leveling cities are two different things, but we're not given time either.
"Blotting out a patch of that light was a planetoid about the size of Jupiter's small inner moon, Io."
"A battleship, three cruisers and any number of improvised spacecraft had formed a staggered crescent around one half of the ancient planetoid and were sending massed laser fire slicing into its surface. Nothing else would have sufficed for the task; thermonuclear bombardment would no more than have dented the blacked-out landscape. Only high-density lasers carried enough energy to dig through the planetary crust and penetrate the mantle beneath, carving up the litle world as if it were a ripe melon."
"It was at that moment that Magron noticed something happening on the planetoid below. A glow was emanating from it, becoming brighter and brighter. Despite the raging space battle ranging over the planetoid, the Imperial task force had managed to sustain the laser barrage. Now it was working, and what was more, it was working better than its directors had planned. The beams had scythed through the planet, had cut aside the crust and had delved deep into the mantle in search of the deep keeps."
Pgs.51-53 Eye of Terror
(Thanks again to Reaper)
Focused energy beams aimed at rock, in the petawatt range, would clearly get through the crust, even if there were fifty kilometers to wade through.
The planetoid's reduced gravity would also make the removal of blasted rock easier for each next wave of petajoules poured into the target.
Notice that it still took some noticeable time.
"Unchecked the death cultists gained access to part of the defence missile silo network, and in a suicidal rage unleashed a rain of atomic and plasma warheads which shattered its hive cities and succeeded in disrupting the planet's orbit for several years. The reuslting permanent winter, radioactive fallout and tectonic upheavals annihilated all life on Cygnax"
-Imperial Armour: Badab War
Let's just say that the energies necessary to disrupt a planet's orbit are so stupidly high that any world would be reduced to drifting pebbles by weapon fire before it could happen.
So that's bullshitium.
Even more so than torpedoes, Nova Cannon ammunition is hideously expensive, and requires purchase. In addition, the weapons fire slowly and have a fixed minimum range (too close and they could easily destroy their own ship). However, when one has enough firepower to scour the face of a planet, one tends to see such concerns as trivial.
Scour the surface of a planet is damn vague again, and there is no reason to accept an extremely genetous and literal interpretation.
Shortly afterwards, a flotilla of Naval and Inquisition vessels had joined the Ravenous Spirit in orbit and had proceeded to launch an unrelenting barrage of lance strikes, mass drivers and cyclone torpedoes, reducing the once green world to a primeval, molten state.
Dawn of War, page 98
(Credit for those go to Connor)
Debunked in the following thread:

WH40K - Cyrene crust-melting from DoW novel analysis (SDN)

And if you don't want to read it, let's just point out the use of those cyclonic torpedoes.
“Most cruisers carry huge torpedoes as well, loaded with multiple warheads charged with volatile plasma bombs, carrying the power to unleash the energy of a small star on the enemy. It makes my humble laspistol look like a spit in an ocean. More like a hundred oceans, actually.”
13th Legion, p.135
Certainly a quote not without its own problems.
Nova Cannons are a classification of exceptionally powerful weaponry that can only be mounted upon capital ships. Mounted below the heavily armoured prows of Imperial Navy cruisers and battleships, Nova Cannons have few equals in terms of thier range or destructive power. While variation exists, a typical Nova Cannon consists of an array of potent gravimetric impellers designed to accelerate a projectile to a fraction of the speed of light. These projectiles vary more than the nature of the cannons themselves, ranging from sophisticated plasma warheads which burn with the ferocity of a small star for a fraction of a second, to implosive devices which exert destructive gravitational forces upon all those caught within several thousand kilometres of the detonation. In any case, a well-used Nova Cannon is a terrifying thing to face, as much a psychological tool as a weapon."
- Rogue Trader: Battlefleet Koronus, Pg. 15 - The Weapons of War: Nova Cannons
Nova Cannon calcs can actually be all over the place. Ships can resist direct hits from the vortex variants. Others won't even have that blasting range. And there's the obvious problem of actually pushing an object that fast out of a ship already under the effect of mass lightening, and the fact that a projectile can't achieve a spherical enough blast of plasma if it's flying at near c. There's a thing such as momentum that's important, and only reducing the projectile's speed first can allow it to magically halt in space and then burst a sphere of plasma.
Killing said momentum, if the projectile is using mass lightening technology pushed to its maximum, means suddenly killing said MLT and returning the projectile's effective mass to what it naturally is.
And finally we have the good ol' Caves of Ice calcs.
Say again?

So to conclude, that doesn't leave us with that much evidence at all. I won't bother pointing out all the references I found which expressly go against high yields and cap the firepower in the kiloton-low megaton range, because I wouldn't appreciate being held responsible of causing aneurysms to the preachers in the opposition.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:05 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
“Most cruisers carry huge torpedoes as well, loaded with multiple warheads charged with volatile plasma bombs, carrying the power to unleash the energy of a small star on the enemy. It makes my humble laspistol look like a spit in an ocean. More like a hundred oceans, actually.”
13th Legion, p.135
Certainly a quote not without its own problems.
Good to see you still keep going, Oragahn. The few people who still bother to question the 40k wank over at SB -- with all due respect to our fellow members -- don't generally seem up to it against the opposition. In any case, they're utterly swamped in numbers by the likes of white_rabbit. You're probably the only decent counterweight left.

Regarding this particular quote, though (and other references to "stellar power" and the like that people like Connor take literally), I just managed to find something very interesting. It so happened I was reading through "Crusade for Armageddon" (a very forgettable piece of 40k fiction that's been out of print for many years now) when I stumbled upon this gem:
Chapter 13 wrote:The gas-blast ceased and Force Wolfram resumed their infiltration of the ex-Mechanicus forge-base. Brother Ansgar found himself wondering what arcane activities the clandestine servants of the Adeptus Mechanicus had once pursued here to need the star-like power provided by this geothermal station in the bed of the dormant volcano.
"Star-like power" is provided by geothermal power stations. Clearly Armageddon must be an artificial planet built around a compressed stellar mass, though on the surface it looks, smells and feels like Earth (well, if really badly polluted), and this station harnesses all the e26 watts the star puts out every second. This obviously tells us many impressive things about the Imperium of Man's power technologies, heat shielding and gravity control! :D

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:37 pm

They'll probably put CfA into some kind of Omnibus with plenty of other stories to resell a package of some kind.
That's still a very good find. There are many funny things to pick in semi-obscure short fictions. There's one for example with Titans getting their butts kicked by sort of large specimen of dinosaurs with a tough skin and solid cranium, which are used by sort of primitive men. Funnily enough, those beasts are controlled by those tribe men through smashing on large spikes of stone which have been wedged into the cranium of those beasts. Not really kilotonish, needless to say.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 am

Bumpy !

There's a small new firepower thread at SBC right now, How powerful are macrocannons?

Top of page 2, replying to Mith's musings about IoM ships managing gigatons of firepower and yet haven't figured out a way out of slave labor on starships, Inquisitor Ryan/Kard strikes back:
Inquisitor Kard, Feb 29th 2012, 11:46pm wrote: And yet all the evidence supports gigaton weaponry. EDIT: (Correction: Much of the evidence supports it or higher yields. Gigatons is also the only direct canon number ever given.)

Whether it is crewed by slave labour or not has absolutely no bearing on firepower. In any case, as we've been saying above, there's no evidence that they're actually needed.
Of course both bolded claims are patently false and dishonest. I can't tell if his mind is exactly rejecting evidence of observed and even stated lower yields in order to preserve his sanity and health against the potential world of hurt that awaits him (the human mind is quite good at closing such doors), or if he's crassly lying.

It's also funny that after two pages of talk, there's not a single piece of relevant information brought forth.

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:55 pm

And the comedy continues, apparently.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right place for this, but, in the vein of my last contribution, I've found more star-like power quotes for Connor to calc since.

Let's hear one for Dark Apostle!
pp. 192-3 wrote:some of the most powerful weapons ever conceived by the Adeptus Mechanicus, entire traitorous planets had surrendered at the mere appearance of the Exemplis. With weaponry the size of towering building blocks, each capable of demolishing cities and laying ruin to armies, the Exemplis had been in operational use by the Fire Wasps of Legio Ignatum since the time of the Great Crusade.

The plasma reactor, burning with the contained energy of a sun, roared with terrifying power as a fraction of its energy was siphoned into the giant weaponry of the god-machine.
An Imperator-class titan, producing the energy of a star. This is somewhat on par with a cruiser of the Macharius type, as stated in the Execution Hour novel, which is not too bad by 40k standards. But even better, it can divert all or nearly all of this energy to its weapons:
p. 204 wrote:The plasma annihilator cannon flared with the power of a contained sun and a gout of white-hot energy roared from its barrel, engulfing a handful of tanks that were instantly returned to their molten base elements.
The whole "power" of a "contained sun" must certainly imply at least gigatons or teratons of energy per second, if we assume a very small sun. (Bear in mind that this is a highly conservative estimate, as the sun could easily be much larger, and/or more luminous, perhaps even a blue hypergiant on the upper end. Though this number fits better with observed performance of Titans elsewhere.) Yet we can observe that in spite of being exposed to these energies, the tanks (probably Leman Russ) are not turned into vapor or plasma, but merely molten. So they are clearly very thermally resistant.

In fact, since we see no gross environmental effects of the blast -- or even much in the way of collateral damage at all -- we can safely conclude they must have absorbed the entire output of the weapon and somehow contained it, perhaps by converting most of it to neutrinos before they were at last overwhelmed and melted. Such active defenses are not explicitly mentioned in the narration, of course, but they fit very well with the highly sophisticated nature of the Leman Russ we have seen depicted in numerous other sources, eg, incorporating inertial dampening so as to be able to fire battleship-grade cannons in spite of their recoil.

:D

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:11 pm

Leman Russes are made of IRON!
The acronym for Impressive Radiation Of Neutrinos.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am

General Donner wrote:And the comedy continues, apparently.

I'm not entirely sure whether this is the right place for this, but, in the vein of my last contribution, I've found more star-like power quotes for Connor to calc since.

Let's hear one for Dark Apostle!
pp. 192-3 wrote:some of the most powerful weapons ever conceived by the Adeptus Mechanicus, entire traitorous planets had surrendered at the mere appearance of the Exemplis. With weaponry the size of towering building blocks, each capable of demolishing cities and laying ruin to armies, the Exemplis had been in operational use by the Fire Wasps of Legio Ignatum since the time of the Great Crusade.

The plasma reactor, burning with the contained energy of a sun, roared with terrifying power as a fraction of its energy was siphoned into the giant weaponry of the god-machine.
An Imperator-class titan, producing the energy of a star. This is somewhat on par with a cruiser of the Macharius type, as stated in the Execution Hour novel, which is not too bad by 40k standards. But even better, it can divert all or nearly all of this energy to its weapons:
p. 204 wrote:The plasma annihilator cannon flared with the power of a contained sun and a gout of white-hot energy roared from its barrel, engulfing a handful of tanks that were instantly returned to their molten base elements.
The whole "power" of a "contained sun" must certainly imply at least gigatons or teratons of energy per second, if we assume a very small sun. (Bear in mind that this is a highly conservative estimate, as the sun could easily be much larger, and/or more luminous, perhaps even a blue hypergiant on the upper end. Though this number fits better with observed performance of Titans elsewhere.) Yet we can observe that in spite of being exposed to these energies, the tanks (probably Leman Russ) are not turned into vapor or plasma, but merely molten. So they are clearly very thermally resistant.

In fact, since we see no gross environmental effects of the blast -- or even much in the way of collateral damage at all -- we can safely conclude they must have absorbed the entire output of the weapon and somehow contained it, perhaps by converting most of it to neutrinos before they were at last overwhelmed and melted. Such active defenses are not explicitly mentioned in the narration, of course, but they fit very well with the highly sophisticated nature of the Leman Russ we have seen depicted in numerous other sources, eg, incorporating inertial dampening so as to be able to fire battleship-grade cannons in spite of their recoil.

:D
You should start a thread that lists all the quotes that talk about star like power in 40K. It would be a good laugh, and help debaters.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I already covered some. It's more than obvious that it's not to be taken literally.
It's even possible that the example GD picked was already covered in those thread I made, but I can't tell from memory.

If you want to know, just google SFJN by looking for key words or member names and add site:http://www.starfleetjedi.net at the end.