how would you fix spacebattles.com?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
User1390
Padawan

Post by User1390 » Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 pm

as a website i find the topics are interesting a lot and i want to participate or make topics of myown, but inveitabley discssions are caused problems by moderators and members of long standing who do want they want. I was reading abouthow spock suggested that Kor make a record of the infractions committed against him and provide it to site admins.

how do yo think sb could be improved if you had ultimate control and how would you do it????

what moderators would you replace and why, who would you replace them with?

what policies of sb woudl you replace to make the place live up to the promise it shows to people when they first get there ?

how long does sb have left if it doesnt change and become more accepting of other viewpoints? sd.net is dying out as we know, but sb might soon follow ? if it did might all those people who leave go to places like SFJ and ASVS. im not sure about asvs because it is mostly spammy posting in their veruss but sfj already takes in people sb.com has antagonised

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: how would you fix spacebattles.com?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 06, 2011 3:52 pm

rebelzarek wrote:how would you fix spacebattles.com?

as a website i find the topics are interesting a lot and i want to participate or make topics of myown, but inveitabley discssions are caused problems by moderators and members of long standing who do want they want. I was reading abouthow spock suggested that Kor make a record of the infractions committed against him and provide it to site admins.

how do yo think sb could be improved if you had ultimate control and how would you do it????

what moderators would you replace and why, who would you replace them with?

what policies of sb woudl you replace to make the place live up to the promise it shows to people when they first get there ?

how long does sb have left if it doesnt change and become more accepting of other viewpoints? sd.net is dying out as we know, but sb might soon follow ? if it did might all those people who leave go to places like SFJ and ASVS. im not sure about asvs because it is mostly spammy posting in their veruss but sfj already takes in people sb.com has antagonised
There are several old timers who left SBC because they had enough of the moderation bias, and this is not limited to the VS board, but also touches the political spectrum and other hobbies.

You can put up as many policies (laws) as you want, they still enforce them irregularly, with bias. The only thing that needs to be applied is real fairness, no more, no less.
Eventually, you could perhaps add a rule that is aimed at the mods and orders them to respect fairness and unbiased moderation, but I don't think even that would change anything.
One thing that could change things is if they had a subforum dedicated to complaints. It would really become a problem to them then, since they couldn't keep it all hush hush, so they can do whatever they want and clearly pull the "this is not a democracy" card at will, of course. And people could legitimately react to moderators' decisions. In retrospect that would have been very useful to point out abuses.

Or at least initiatives like this one.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri May 06, 2011 4:07 pm

As you can see on this forum we have mods actually open threads so their decisions and reasoning can be looked over and critiqued by the boards members.

That is not to say that because of it a majority decision from the member base can force them to ignore the rules for a popular member as it cannot, but it does mean that fairness and even handedness in their decisions is maintained.

Not that it is actually needed in our moderators case obviously but it is a policy that will prevent any of the SB.com issues from arising if in the future the board gets as busy and new mods are made ect.
Last edited by Kor_Dahar_Master on Fri May 06, 2011 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 06, 2011 6:50 pm

Rebelzarek, as other people have pointed out, you don't need more rules, just proper, unbiased enforcement of the existing ones, and so it boils down to is this: there needs to be a complete and total cleaning out of the mods, and careful picking of new ones. The only way that is going to happen is nothing short of a large-scale. well-organized, rebellion by the user membership, and until that happens, there will be little to no reform.
-Mike

User1356
Padawan

Post by User1356 » Sat May 07, 2011 12:58 am

Ban everyone who believes in conspiracies, institute logic tests to make sure all posters are thinking humans and not spambots

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat May 07, 2011 3:42 am

I'd annihilate any moderator loosely connected with SD.net from any position of authority and quietly ask them to retire from posting actively less they suddenly "break a rule" I'd do the same thing for the rabbid 40k base

after that mass ban any poster with an SDN debate style or hostile attitude and that's it

I mean the only rules I'd put in place for the vs section is you'd be no longer allowed to object to feats if they make no scientific sense nor would you be allowed to discount high end showings if you felt them too wanky consistent high end feats are the accepted rule I've seen the anime and pro wars/40k side abuse it too much towards comic debaters and occasionally anime based (like when the Abh or Zentreadi get put up against wars) that's about it...that and you can't challenge a feat because it makes no scientific sense

as a general thing nothings wrong with the way the place is set up it's the assholes with authority and the louder more well known voices on the forum you wipe them out and problem solved

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 07, 2011 4:27 am

InvaderSkooj wrote:Ban everyone who believes in conspiracies, institute logic tests to make sure all posters are thinking humans and not spambots
Are spambots a serious problem on SBC?
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat May 07, 2011 4:35 am

Admiral Breetai wrote:I'd annihilate any moderator loosely connected with SD.net from any position of authority and quietly ask them to retire from posting actively less they suddenly "break a rule" I'd do the same thing for the rabbid 40k base

after that mass ban any poster with an SDN debate style or hostile attitude and that's it

I mean the only rules I'd put in place for the vs section is you'd be no longer allowed to object to feats if they make no scientific sense nor would you be allowed to discount high end showings if you felt them too wanky consistent high end feats are the accepted rule I've seen the anime and pro wars/40k side abuse it too much towards comic debaters and occasionally anime based (like when the Abh or Zentreadi get put up against wars) that's about it...that and you can't challenge a feat because it makes no scientific sense

as a general thing nothings wrong with the way the place is set up it's the assholes with authority and the louder more well known voices on the forum you wipe them out and problem solved
The danger with what you are suggesting is that it potentially sets up an equally bad, authoritarian system in place of the the old one. Threatening former mods won't make things better, and it only sets a tone of intolerance. You want to have moderators from as many sides of the debate involved as possible, and they must be able and willing to set aside when their objectivity is potentially compromised.

You also don't want to immediately run off everyone you don't like, that in and of itself encourages groupthink. As with KSW here on SFJN, you want let people's behavior, not their arguements and evidence dictate what gets them a warning or a ban. So booting Leo1 or Point45 won't solve anything, just give them something to whine about, and may make for a chilling among the debates because people will be fearful of a heavy-handed mod coming down on them.
-Mike

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Sat May 07, 2011 6:02 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
The danger with what you are suggesting is that it potentially sets up an equally bad, authoritarian system in place of the the old one. Threatening former mods won't make things better, and it only sets a tone of intolerance. You want to have moderators from as many sides of the debate involved as possible, and they must be able and willing to set aside when their objectivity is potentially compromised.
absolutely I'm merely talking about forcing out the corrupt and fanatic elements I'm well aware though about how that can culminate in blowing up in ones face

hell I've seen it happen so I'm by no means suggesting it lightly I do how ever truly believe the situation on SB is that bad that it merits such a risky and severe reaction
Mike DiCenso wrote:You also don't want to immediately run off everyone you don't like, that in and of itself encourages groupthink. As with KSW here on SFJN, you want let people's behavior, not their arguements and evidence dictate what gets them a warning or a ban. So booting Leo1 or Point45 won't solve anything, just give them something to whine about, and may make for a chilling among the debates because people will be fearful of a heavy-handed mod coming down on them.
-Mike
the idea would be as you say, to get them for the behavioral conduct of course

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 07, 2011 10:13 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
InvaderSkooj wrote:Ban everyone who believes in conspiracies, institute logic tests to make sure all posters are thinking humans and not spambots
-Mike
If there's a thing that's sure, is that SBC is relatively spared by spamebots breaks. I can't remember seeing any.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sun May 08, 2011 3:16 am

in my opinion, the way to fix any problem with any forum ever is to just change every controversial post to this:
JMS wrote:Kor calls Serafina dishonest and unstable and says he's off to debate the topic with nicer transsexuals elsewhere who don't strawman his arguments.
NO MAN COULD READ THAT AND REMAIN ANGRY

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun May 08, 2011 6:48 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:
-Mike
If there's a thing that's sure, is that SBC is relatively spared by spamebots breaks. I can't remember seeing any.
Possibly, though that may just seem that way at first glance since a spambot post might get lost in the huge volume of legit postings, and they have far more mods and Admin to quickly delete such things as well.
-Mike