What the bleep is Leo1 arguing?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

What the bleep is Leo1 arguing?

Post by Lucky » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:16 am

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 596&page=8
Leo1 Post 102 wrote: So, again:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3IIngsLdjU#t=5m24s

So "A Call to Arms" is idiotic? I mean, its not like we can see for ourselves that the Dominion ships still haven't entered weapons range when they're within visual range of DS9.

What is your response to this? Do you even have one?
Here it looks like Leo1 is arguing that Star Trek visuals are completely unreliable(which which makes the argument pointless, but that's a different topic).
Leo1 Post 198 wrote: The only thing that's getting old are these persistent attempts to pretend Star Trek is a radio play. (Smilie)

Heck - I'm being generous - there's fuck all in the dialog to indicate warp strafing is a viable tactic either. It's a made up fantasy, with no support from the relevant canon. Period.
So what is Leo1 argueing here?

If the visuals can not be trusted to match what is going on then you have to disregard them don't you? To be honest you have to treat Star Trek as a radio drama as Leo1 put it?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: What the bleep is Leo1 arguing?

Post by Admiral Breetai » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:17 pm

he seems to be so biased he has lost his ability to form a legit argument being yknow your typical maniac wongite

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:53 pm

His handing a branch. There's no other answer to his first question than visuals are stupid, thank you, now we can ignore Trek visuals, based on your concession, and go with the multiple references of combat ranges being about thousands of km.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:17 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:His handing a branch. There's no other answer to his first question than visuals are stupid, thank you, now we can ignore Trek visuals, based on your concession, and go with the multiple references of combat ranges being about thousands of km.

It is what happens when he cherry picks too much while ignoring actual logic and reason.

His assertion regarding "a call to arms" weapons range ignores the variety of ships, several differing weapons types and the fact that we only see a small amount of the ships in the fleet at that point.

I mentioned this in the actual thread but in typical SDN style he ranted and raved and made a appeal to ridicule to try and avoid dealing with it.

PS: Thanks to BT fucking up my phone connection and wrongly giving me a new phone number i am now forced into using a dongle for around 12 days. I am not impressed with the speeds you get or the fact it is up and down like a fucking yoyo even when im in a area with good coverage.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun May 01, 2011 5:12 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:His handing a branch. There's no other answer to his first question than visuals are stupid, thank you, now we can ignore Trek visuals, based on your concession, and go with the multiple references of combat ranges being about thousands of km.

It is what happens when he cherry picks too much while ignoring actual logic and reason.

His assertion regarding "a call to arms" weapons range ignores the variety of ships, several differing weapons types and the fact that we only see a small amount of the ships in the fleet at that point.

I mentioned this in the actual thread but in typical SDN style he ranted and raved and made a appeal to ridicule to try and avoid dealing with it.

PS: Thanks to BT fucking up my phone connection and wrongly giving me a new phone number i am now forced into using a dongle for around 12 days. I am not impressed with the speeds you get or the fact it is up and down like a fucking yoyo even when im in a area with good coverage.
The shortest know maximum range for the ships in the fleet was 100,000 km, and the longest known maximum ranges was about 200,000 km.