Another Anti-ST SB thread...

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Khas
Starship Captain

Re: Another Anti-ST SB thread...

Post by Khas » Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Actually, we heard of Klingon ground vehicules, and the Cardassian mechanized infantry, and we have seen with our own eyes the Federation Dune Buggy, most likely a light recon vehicule which, while unarmored, I'd use way before I would use an AT-ST.
The weapon is as powerful, and the vehicule is definitely faster and more maneuverable... :)
A buggy in Trek, that bobs up and down, prevents the gunner from acquiring anything, that can't even protect its passengers, and would supposedly be used to scout when tricorders do that a thousand times better? That's more like a GLA buggy with some alien artifact strapped on its back. Frankly, if I had no real plan to cross a vast distance under a limited time, I'd rather go with the AT-ST, and forget about the scout mission. At least I'd have protection, more weapons with equal accuracy (again, the buggy's weapon sucked big times), and the capacity to avoid being stuck like a buggy would.
Except that in-universe, the AT-ST's gyrostabilizers suck. And the whole thing seems to be made of explodium, since in the EU, it mentions that one Ewok saw an AT-ST explode after tripping and falling over logs.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Khas, the movie itself shows us that two logs can crush the thing like a tin can, showing it barely has the resistance of a modern day van... :)

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue May 03, 2011 2:22 pm

Eh, true.

On a funny note, "Star Wars: The New Essential Guide To Vehicles and Vessels" says that AT-STs are no longer deployed on planets with an abundance of trees.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 03, 2011 2:24 pm

Or Teddy Bears... :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 pm

Khas wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Actually, we heard of Klingon ground vehicules, and the Cardassian mechanized infantry, and we have seen with our own eyes the Federation Dune Buggy, most likely a light recon vehicule which, while unarmored, I'd use way before I would use an AT-ST.
The weapon is as powerful, and the vehicule is definitely faster and more maneuverable... :)
A buggy in Trek, that bobs up and down, prevents the gunner from acquiring anything, that can't even protect its passengers, and would supposedly be used to scout when tricorders do that a thousand times better? That's more like a GLA buggy with some alien artifact strapped on its back. Frankly, if I had no real plan to cross a vast distance under a limited time, I'd rather go with the AT-ST, and forget about the scout mission. At least I'd have protection, more weapons with equal accuracy (again, the buggy's weapon sucked big times), and the capacity to avoid being stuck like a buggy would.
Except that in-universe, the AT-ST's gyrostabilizers suck. And the whole thing seems to be made of explodium, since in the EU, it mentions that one Ewok saw an AT-ST explode after tripping and falling over logs.
In the movies, they don't have problems on forest soil and permafrost, which is more than good enough. The gyros only sucked when the AT-ST tried to maintain balance on rolling logs, which even a human couldn't achieve on logs respectively scaled down to match the proportional sizes.
As for the explosion
It's also a good thing that an AT-ST can tank its own firepower twice on its back, then a third hit on a weapon slot, before blowing up after a final fourth shot at the same weapon slot.
The tripping scene is more problematic but it seems that just as for the log crush, the AT-ST gave a weakness around their lateral blaster piece. It could easily be the one from the movie, where the AT-ST fell on its blaster cannon, which could easily be carrying their own fuel cells. The explosion clearly originated from the inner side touching the ground, and the AT-ST fell on its left. That said it's not exactly a sturdy piece of metal. It may be good at coping with thermal damage, but the mere shock to the ground literally made the AT-ST decompose itself into its kit pieces.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed May 04, 2011 8:53 am

True. I think it's something of a anti-infantry vehicle, like Stryker, just without troop carrying ability.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 06, 2011 12:12 am

Picard wrote:True. I think it's something of a anti-infantry vehicle, like Stryker, just without troop carrying ability.
Well you can squish a couple of furries up there.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 am

Picard wrote:True. I think it's something of a anti-infantry vehicle, like Stryker, just without troop carrying ability.
Try a humvee.