Re: Another Blow to Hypermatter Fuel's Existence?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Re: Wong & SDN

Post by Admiral Breetai » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:49 pm

I don't know if the SL can tag the E but the things a giant ball with god knows how many canon platforms of various ranges

just firing wildly into the air so to speak is probably going to statistically mean the E will get nailed more times than it can handle even if it means most of the tl bolts fired are complete misses

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:51 pm

Picard wrote:Fusion produces 156 times less energy than same amount of matter/antimatter mix. And I don't think DS's fusion reactor is any more than 1000 times larger than E-D's warp core - althought I never did scaling, so I wouldn't know.

And please, read what I wrote, f*** it. I said that Death Star should at least be able to produce as much power as E-D. It is lower limit, not upper one.

EDIT: Besides, do we know how long it took for Death Star to go from Alderaan to Yavin? It might tell us something about its low-end power production.
*should* suggests that somehow, it is not certain. Not only I find the figure of e18~19 PW for any Enterprise ship not simply unlikely, but extremely selective in light of all we know, but going as far as to wonder if the Death Star may as a low end, be able to produce that much power as well... completely bonkers, really.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 am

if it can produce enough energy to gentle push a core fragment? and to be able to tow a moon?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:01 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Picard wrote:Fusion produces 156 times less energy than same amount of matter/antimatter mix. And I don't think DS's fusion reactor is any more than 1000 times larger than E-D's warp core - althought I never did scaling, so I wouldn't know.

And please, read what I wrote, f*** it. I said that Death Star should at least be able to produce as much power as E-D. It is lower limit, not upper one.

EDIT: Besides, do we know how long it took for Death Star to go from Alderaan to Yavin? It might tell us something about its low-end power production.
*should* suggests that somehow, it is not certain. Not only I find the figure of e18~19 PW for any Enterprise ship not simply unlikely, but extremely selective in light of all we know, but going as far as to wonder if the Death Star may as a low end, be able to produce that much power as well... completely bonkers, really.
I have never claimed e18 PW for E-D. At best, considering torpedo firepower, maximum power production of E-D would be around 100 gigatons per second, or 4.184 x 10e20 W, high end... that is 418 400 PW, and possibly tad bit lower. Darkstar's estimate for superlaser DET is 23.5 Gt, which is about same as middle value DET of a single photon torpedo.

Now, if you have anything that could give us DS's power production, that would be appreciated.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:21 pm

Khas wrote:We don't mean just damage it. We mean "make it look like Swiss cheese". Also, the DS was made of tougher materials than a moon it's size, and had a powerful-as-hell deflector shield.
I seem to recall it being stated the Death Stars were made of mundane steel in the ANH novelization.

The first Death Star had nothing but an over powered magnetic field. We see what affects magnetic fields have on blasts in the trash compactor.

Some sources show the Death Star to be very hollow. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... rydock.JPG

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:46 pm

Picard wrote:Now, if you have anything that could give us DS's power production, that would be appreciated.
Yep, check out the last pages SWST's Death Star power output confirmed (at your own peril).

General Donner
Bridge Officer

Post by General Donner » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:22 am

Lucky wrote:I seem to recall it being stated the Death Stars were made of mundane steel in the ANH novelization.
If so it would collapse under its own mass whenever moving. Or maybe even sitting still, depending.

The Force Unleashed novel IIRC said its superstructure by itself could withstand its acceleration. Even if it normally counts its acceleration in millimeters per second square that should be quite impressive.
The first Death Star had nothing but an over powered magnetic field. We see what affects magnetic fields have on blasts in the trash compactor.
I'm no expert but do real life magnetic fields actually behave like that? Or is it just more technobabble like superlasers, turbolasers etc?
Some sources show the Death Star to be very hollow. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... rydock.JPG
Where's that from? In the old WEG book all it could take was small cruisers and frigates.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:12 pm

General Donner wrote:
I'm no expert but do real life magnetic fields actually behave like that? Or is it just more technobabble like superlasers, turbolasers etc?
The earths magnetic field stops us from getting roasted so i suppose it depends on how strong, but i am betting that to deflect energy like we see it would be lethal to humans up close and tear human tissue due to the diamagnetism of water.

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:50 am

this always makes me think of mst3k: the movie, when someone brings up the logic of magnetic fields doing wacky things. anybody else remember mst3k: the movie, the scene where the people are in the weird pod things and their hands get stuck to those metal handle things and the alien guy says it's because they're magnetized?
“And if your hands were metal, that would mean something.”

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:51 am

HAHAHA

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:26 pm

General Donner wrote:
Lucky wrote:Some sources show the Death Star to be very hollow. http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... rydock.JPG
Where's that from? In the old WEG book all it could take was small cruisers and frigates.
The art style looks like it could be from the latest Starwars Galaxy CCG. It shows a variety of things like a fleet bombarding a planet, or this:
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images ... rlaser.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images ... queror.jpg
It's full of cool art. Wikipedia has plenty of pictures, but not all of them are in HD.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:07 am

General Donner wrote: If so it would collapse under its own mass whenever moving. Or maybe even sitting still, depending.

The Force Unleashed novel IIRC said its superstructure by itself could withstand its acceleration. Even if it normally counts its acceleration in millimeters per second square that should be quite impressive.
The Death Star has a seemingly one of a kind propulsion system that appears to be some sort of reaction-less drive for slower then light travel, and lots of other common technologies that would be of use in keeping gravity at bay. I don't see a need for super materials that don't seem to exist in Star Wars when existing tech seems to be enough.

I don't have a copy of ANH so I can't get the quote, but what sane designer is going to use a single material?
General Donner wrote: I'm no expert but do real life magnetic fields actually behave like that? Or is it just more technobabble like superlasers, turbolasers etc?
The magnetic field that sealed the door did not seem dangerously strong, and electromagnetic fields can do some very strange things at times.
http://amasci.com/weird/unusual/e-wall.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_field
General Donner wrote:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star_Drydock
The word cruiser is used to describe everything from Star Destroyers to the Tantive IV isn't it?

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:22 pm

Khas wrote:
While these are positive qualities, he is also an Anti-Semite. Make of this what you will.
No he's not. Wong is ant-Israel, this does not make him anti-semite.

Ah yes, Alyeska, who's only Pro-Trek by SDN standards.
And spacebattles standards. And real life standards (although Wong is a trekkie by RL standards).

In other words, people who agree with him.
No, people who are not idiots.

You're joking, right?
SW vs ST aside, Wong's arguments on Evolution vs Creationism and various other (far more important) topics are very persuasive, and you'd be hard pressed to see him actually get stumped by a creationist. I disagree with him on some aspects, but on politics and science I happen to agree with most of his points before I even read his blog. An interesting trend is that smart liberals can easily outdebate conservatives on anything, mainly because the stances the right takes are often ridiculously irrational and stupid.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:56 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Khas wrote:
While these are positive qualities, he is also an Anti-Semite. Make of this what you will.

He's left some, rather damning posts on USENET about his views on Judaism.

Ah yes, Alyeska, who's only Pro-Trek by SDN standards.
And spacebattles standards. And real life standards (although Wong is a trekkie by RL standards).
Real-life standards... right. You are aware that being a Trekkie and being Pro-Trek are two different things?

In other words, people who agree with him.
No, people who are not idiots.
Do you mean the normal definition of idiot, or the Wong definition of idiot?

You're joking, right?
SW vs ST aside, Wong's arguments on Evolution vs Creationism and various other (far more important) topics are very persuasive, and you'd be hard pressed to see him actually get stumped by a creationist. I disagree with him on some aspects, but on politics and science I happen to agree with most of his points before I even read his blog. An interesting trend is that smart liberals can easily outdebate conservatives on anything, mainly because the stances the right takes are often ridiculously irrational and stupid.
True, I do agree with Wong on the Evolution vs. Creationism debate, but when it comes to the ST vs. SW sections, then, that's another story.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:25 am

Khas wrote:
StarWarsStarTrek wrote:
Khas wrote:

He's left some, rather damning posts on USENET about his views on Judaism.
Do you have some links?
Mind you, what's wrong with being anti-Judaic or anti-Zionist, the actually most popular branch of Judaism?
Plus, depending on which political side you're on, you may or may not be allowed to be anti-Islamic. However, you're practically and endlessly encouraged to be anti-Christian everyday.
Other religions are given a break, since quite minor in occidental countries.
In the end, they're all religions. You can love or hate them all you want, there's no crime I know about religion hate. Or did I miss something?