this thread is really is just tragic

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: this thread is really is just tragic

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:50 pm

It mainly needs to prevent the particles from interacting with the environment, and limit the particles' natural EM radiation. For the former, a tunnel pushing matter sideways, then a force field constraining weapon particles within it would probably do the job. Eventually, the same field could be effective in guiding any potential EMR, like more or less focusing them forward.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:It mainly needs to prevent the particles from interacting with the environment, and limit the particles' natural EM radiation. For the former, a tunnel pushing matter sideways, then a force field constraining weapon particles within it would probably do the job. Eventually, the same field could be effective in guiding any potential EMR, like more or less focusing them forward.
I was wondering that if Leo1's claim was for the sake of argument considered true and 14% of the energy a phaser fired was released into the environment we could work out just how low powered a phaser would have to be to not cause burns to the user.

I would think it would have to be very low to the point of uselessness.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

2046 wrote:At times, it's even far better at science than they are. And that's saying something.
I can imagine seeing some of they're claims
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I remember them trying the creationist attack a couple of times, yeeeears ago, but it didn't last long. Especially since it was so easy to flip around.
one only needs to point out that they genuinely believe and argued something as absurd as Yoda beating God in thread to deflate any of that pompous attitude and debate tactic

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:56 pm

Admiral Breetai wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I remember them trying the creationist attack a couple of times, yeeeears ago, but it didn't last long. Especially since it was so easy to flip around.
one only needs to point out that they genuinely believe and argued something as absurd as Yoda beating God in thread to deflate any of that pompous attitude and debate tactic

Excuse me?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:44 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote: ...

Excuse me?
you mean you never heard of wongs infamous "Yoda beats god because in the old testament he jobbed to iron chariots" thread?

he also argued against cross over maniac that Jedi precog could react to the flash..but that's a great deal less stupid then the kind of BS I remember in qoutes they linked on CBR in regards to how absolutely convinced allot of SDn'ers where that Yoda could in fact completely whoop God's ass

it was staggeringly disturbing and the fact that it's still being defended on some forums where followers of that site reside as legitimate victory for Yoda and the conclusions valid..is asinine and absolutely insane

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:39 am

2046 wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:I always find SDN derision of religion really amusing especially when they mock the bible

it has..a great deal more credibility and validity..for a great deal more people..then Curtis Saxton and Mike wong could ever hope too have
At times, it's even far better at science than they are. And that's saying something.
Not to mention morality.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:15 pm

And considering many of the highly immoral acts Bible "heroes" conducted, that says quite alot too.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Yup. Hebrew part of Bible is full of slaughters on behalf of all-loving God.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:07 pm

Picard wrote:Yup. Hebrew part of Bible is full of slaughters on behalf of all-loving God.
It's not like the Koran is particularly better when it comes to the Prophet, especially when it comes to the violence against ex-followers, slaughtered without mercy, which would be one of the main reasons why some non remarkable religion managed to survive in these ages.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 am

From what I know about Koran, it's basically philosophical Frankenstein put together from various other religious books.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Fri May 27, 2011 9:28 am

2046 wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:I always find SDN derision of religion really amusing especially when they mock the bible

it has..a great deal more credibility and validity..for a great deal more people..then Curtis Saxton and Mike wong could ever hope too have
At times, it's even far better at science than they are. And that's saying something.
It'd kinda be like your girlfriend telling you that a Namekian gives her better sex than you do.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Picard wrote:From what I know about Koran, it's basically philosophical Frankenstein put together from various other religious books.
I've heard of a very interesting scientific exegesis of the Koran, but it's in french and very obscure, written by some christian. Exegesis of the Koran as a whole is forbidden in Islam if I get things right, and yet for whatever has been analyzed by Islam "pro analyzers", many things which they can't explain seem to be explained by this scientific exegesis, and it's quite interesting.

That said, I've read quite a couple of interesting theories about the birth of the Catholic Church, the political and proselyte motivations of apostle Paul (basically, create a form of monotheism that would be directly tied to Judaism, but would appeal to Goyim), as well as the true genesis of Jesus Christ during Nicaea I. Some of them seem contradictory, but I suppose that in the coming years, it could be possible to bridge them all. Of course, a deeper reading of the old testament would be necessary, perhaps to isolate in clarity the roots of Judaism and monotheism, which requires taking a look at both the evolution of Sumerian cults and the rise of a form of monotheism in Egypt. That's very interesting, to say the least.