How Many Galaxy Class Starships to...

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

How Many Galaxy Class Starships to...

Post by Lucky » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 517&page=2
ricrery1 Post 37 wrote: 1) Execution Hour mentions starships leveling cities through prolonged bombardment.

2) Shadow Point mentions lances vaporizing hundreds of tons of rock.

3) Ghostmaker mentions orbital bombardment merely burning down forests as well as an individual weapon simply putting a crater into the ground that doesn't incinerate the Imperial forces nearby.

4) Necropolis mentions a weapon that merely destroys a kilometer long gate as equivalent to starship weapons.

5) Straight Silver mentions 4 warships unopposed being able to reduce Civitas Beati down to its bedrock.

6) Ravenor mentions disposing of a Rogue Trader vessel by hurling into a sun.

7) Ravenor Rogue mentions virus bombs in orbital bombardment, yet conventional weapons would be much better.

8) The existence of virus bombs.

9) Xenos mentions 15 kilometer mushroom clouds and weapons not puncturing through the cloud layer.

10) Salamander mentions solar flares hitting and damaging a Strike Cruiser.

11) Nightbringer mentioning starship weapons being able to level things within 50 kilometers and ships being threatened by asteroids.

12) Rynn's World mentions bombardments merely cratering mountains and starships being shot down by surface weapons in atmosphere just above said weapons.

13) The Purging of Kadillus has a bombardment cannon incinerating hundreds of Orks.

14) Tales of Heresy has three short stories where bombardments take days or are on a small scale.

15) Thousand Sons has lances turning 500 meter columns of water to steam.
Does anyone know what these events are, or have the actual quotes?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: How Many Galaxy Class Starships to...

Post by sonofccn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:32 pm

shadow point page 93 wrote:The Drachenfel's lance batteries gored into the sides of another rok, blasting away or vaporising hundreds of tonnes of soft, porous rock.
This might be the quote Ricrery1 was refering to for point 2)

as for point 5 there is this:
From the data, Gaunt had seen, there were at least four archenemy warships up above them. Unopposed, their combined firepower could raze the Civitas down to the bedrock: streets, habs, hive-towers, even the armoured shelters underground. If the enemy decided not to bother with the complexity and effort of a ground assault, and simply went for the kill, this war would be over before it started
Problem is I nabbed this from Bane and he described this passage being from Sabbat Martyr but it really does sound like the above passage being described. All in all not overly impressive when battleships are supposed to be licking the PT range if I understand it all correctly.

Anyway hopes this helps.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Lucky wrote:http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 517&page=2
ricrery1 Post 37 wrote: 1) Execution Hour mentions starships leveling cities through prolonged bombardment.

2) Shadow Point mentions lances vaporizing hundreds of tons of rock.

3) Ghostmaker mentions orbital bombardment merely burning down forests as well as an individual weapon simply putting a crater into the ground that doesn't incinerate the Imperial forces nearby.

4) Necropolis mentions a weapon that merely destroys a kilometer long gate as equivalent to starship weapons.

5) Straight Silver mentions 4 warships unopposed being able to reduce Civitas Beati down to its bedrock.

6) Ravenor mentions disposing of a Rogue Trader vessel by hurling into a sun.

7) Ravenor Rogue mentions virus bombs in orbital bombardment, yet conventional weapons would be much better.

8) The existence of virus bombs.

9) Xenos mentions 15 kilometer mushroom clouds and weapons not puncturing through the cloud layer.

10) Salamander mentions solar flares hitting and damaging a Strike Cruiser.

11) Nightbringer mentioning starship weapons being able to level things within 50 kilometers and ships being threatened by asteroids.

12) Rynn's World mentions bombardments merely cratering mountains and starships being shot down by surface weapons in atmosphere just above said weapons.

13) The Purging of Kadillus has a bombardment cannon incinerating hundreds of Orks.

14) Tales of Heresy has three short stories where bombardments take days or are on a small scale.

15) Thousand Sons has lances turning 500 meter columns of water to steam.
Does anyone know what these events are, or have the actual quotes?
It's actually discussed in the LMAO thread next to this one, and some of the specific references, like Shadow Point, can be found here.

Considering that several 40K threads that exist here were started by me as a criticism of Connor's analysis methods and observations, by now, using "oragahn shadow point site:http://www.starfleetjedi.net" in Google would immediately lead you to the thread in question.
"Shadow Point" and "Execution Hour" were written by the same person.
If you're only starting to take a closer look at the usual 40K claims and keep pushing, all I can say is... that's good. You have taken your first step into a larger world. :)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:17 am

I sent a PM to Ricrery1, to settle some issue I had with him:

-------------------------

Hello,
I've seen, in the thread known as "How Many Galaxy Class Starships to..." that you have made several references to my nickname, especially under the form of appeals to authority and trying to involve my character into a debate I have neither chosen, nor been able to be part of. Not only has this resulted in non constructive yet obsessive tantrums on the part of White Rabbit and silly snide remarks by Connor MacLeod, but you also happen to make claims about my former stances on the subject which are, as far as I know, incorrect.
For example, here:

Ricrery1 wrote:Yes, Oragahn stated that authors were wrong on several occasions, and ignored GW's "everything is canon" system, but he has provided several quotes that were never refuted.

I don't recall doing any of this, and I'm pretty sure I didn't claim the authors were wrong. Perhaps, at worse, not in full understanding of the physics implied by their fictional writings, which just happens a lot in SF/fantasy. I have also no recollection of arguing about Games Workshop's "mono-canon" being ignored by said authors. What I have noticed after further readings, though, is that the books are published by Black Library, a branch of GW, which under certain circumstances, might be understood as defining a case of lower canon tier; but I don't see any evidence of any existence of layers in their management of canonical material. I also understood that the published stories were more or less exact, perhaps not totally accurate in fact for some of them. But again, I don't recall ever formulating such a claim before getting banned from SBC.
Therefore, I would rather appreciate that you do not associate me to your arguments and tactics, but limit yourself to merely citing what I wrote, here or elsewhere, with proper context. I couldn't insist more on the idea that you should develop your own arguments, by the way.
I expect a proper satisfaction of my request, knowing that it shall not be limited to this single thread.
Thank you.