AT-AT "maximum firepower" and Durasteel Threads?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

AT-AT "maximum firepower" and Durasteel Threads?

Post by Lucky » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:57 pm

http://bbs2.stardestroyer.net/Archive/v ... hp?t=10360&
http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145544

Does anyone find something wrong with these threads? I find it odd they would use questable yields to find the capabilities of something else.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: AT-AT "maximum firepower" and Durasteel Threads?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:41 pm

A firepower thread at SDN.
How can there not be anything wrong about it?

What is shocking you, precisely?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Lucky wrote:http://bbs2.stardestroyer.net/Archive/v ... hp?t=10360&

Does anyone find something wrong with these threads? I find it odd they would use questable yields to find the capabilities of something else.
It is the quintisensial SDN house of cards, wank supporting wank.

IF weapon A fires X gigatons per shot and we see it hit a ships hull dozens of times for no real damage this means that hull mateial B = (insert wank).

It is how they tried to reconcile the ISD with turbolaser effects against ships hulls in G canon as they could not claim and make retarded excuses for dialed down yields of 0.000001% during a furious and balls to the wall battle.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:58 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:

IF weapon A fires X gigatons per shot and we see it hit a ships hull dozens of times for no real damage this means that hull mateial B = (insert wank).

It is how they tried to reconcile the ISD with turbolaser effects against ships hulls in G canon as they could not claim and make retarded excuses for dialed down yields of 0.000001% during a furious and balls to the wall battle.
There's also the neutronium hull fallacy, and the claim that it makes star wars ships so heavy they need to constantly use their repulsor lifts ignoring the fact that the lifts push off the ground... One has to wonder what they think the Invisible Hand had for armor that was so easily able to shrug off Republic weapons while the neutronium/Durasteel armor was easily destroyed.

They ignore the fact a top of the line war ships don't have problems being on the ground unpowered.

How can anyone take the numbers spouted from StarDestroyer.net seriously?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:01 am

Lucky wrote:
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:

There's also the neutronium hull fallacy, and the claim that it makes star wars ships so heavy they need to constantly use their repulsor lifts ignoring the fact that the lifts push off the ground... One has to wonder what they think the Invisible Hand had for armor that was so easily able to shrug off Republic weapons while the neutronium/Durasteel armor was easily destroyed.

They ignore the fact a top of the line war ships don't have problems being on the ground unpowered.

The bit at the start of ROTS when grevious gets blown out the window and pulls himself back to the hull and when he hits at a very low velocity he actually dents it is my personal favorite part.

Obviously that is ignoring that they are alledgedly getting 200+ gigaton shots fired at then constantly but have the windows in the command bridge of the flagship uncovered and that they are obviously so weak they shatter easily from low inpacts.

Colour me paranoid but in the middle of a battle getting pounded by warships flinging shots that poweful at me id at least close the curtains maybe....:).

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:21 am

Lucky wrote:
Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote: The bit at the start of ROTS when grevious gets blown out the window and pulls himself back to the hull and when he hits at a very low velocity he actually dents it is my personal favorite part.

Obviously that is ignoring that they are alledgedly getting 200+ gigaton shots fired at then constantly but have the windows in the command bridge of the flagship uncovered and that they are obviously so weak they shatter easily from low inpacts.

Colour me paranoid but in the middle of a battle getting pounded by warships flinging shots that poweful at me id at least close the curtains maybe....:).
I kind of liked the part where the Invisible Hand was burning up on reentry.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 am

The plating that Grievous dents with his claws is said to be mainly cosmetic plating.

Nowhereman10
Bridge Officer

Post by Nowhereman10 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:46 am

Yeah... sure it is. Just like those easy to shatter windows are clearly cosmetic, too. Or that lovely burning hull.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:02 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The plating that Grievous dents with his claws is said to be mainly cosmetic plating.
I'd like a source on that because it makes no sense.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:14 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The plating that Grievous dents with his claws is said to be mainly cosmetic plating.
Huh?.

The ship has issues regarding its "look"...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:44 pm

Lucky wrote:
Metres thick armour precisely preclude that thin sheet of metal from being particularly relevant in the overall protection.
The cosmetic argument is used to dismiss attacks against claims of impregnable armour.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Metres thick armour precisely preclude that thin sheet of metal from being particularly relevant in the overall protection.
The cosmetic argument is used to dismiss attacks against claims of impregnable armour.
I would actually consider it consistant with windows that smash easily and are not even blast shielded during a battle with what some claim are thousands of 200+ gigaton turbo laser bolts flying around.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:19 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
And we should believe they do this rather then say just paint the thing why? That useless thin metal sheet will add tons to the mass, and do nothing.

Do you have a quote to back up this idea do you?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:30 am

Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
And we should believe they do this rather then say just paint the thing why? That useless thin metal sheet will add tons to the mass, and do nothing.

We also get a pretty good view of the depth of the hull when we see grevious smash through the window and pull himself back to the hull and Meters thick is not even close, centimeters maybe but not even close to meters.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:

We also get a pretty good view of the depth of the hull when we see grevious smash through the window and pull himself back to the hull and Meters thick is not even close, centimeters maybe but not even close to meters.
Don't do that.
You'll have to argue with warsies telling you that an ISD is largely armoured, much less around the bridge tower, and about little around the bridge itself.
Makes sense, eh?