Yo Praeothmin, Question about a comment at ASVS

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Yo Praeothmin, Question about a comment at ASVS

Post by Lucky » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:54 am

http://www.asvs.us/topic/2118-picard-la ... bate-site/
Post 17
And Airlocke, Mike D was, before KirkSkywalker and Picard and Lucky, the Trekkiest on SFJ, but now, compared to those three, he seems like a moderate Trekkie, but he'll never seem like a Warsie, ever...
Praeothmin are you Praeothmin at ASVS? If you are could you explain what you mean in this comment?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: Yo Praeothmin, Question about a comment at ASVS

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm

I mean you guys will always wank ST up, and always try to find any type of rationalization to make ST more powerful and better than SW, in everyway...

That's the impression I get when reading your arguments...

It was not meant as an insult, simply as an observation...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:02 pm

I don't mean to rain on your parade again, Praeo, but I have argued on Wars' behalf before. Just read this exchange here and here in the "List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS" thread. Mostly I'm out to debunk the ICS and other crap that Warsies have spewed around. But I'm perfectly open to reasonable SW firepower and tech as it has been portrayed in the movies. However it's hard to do so since TCW came along and really trashed even megaton to low gigaton-range firepower estimates for Wars ships and shields.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 am

Praeothmin wrote:I mean you guys will always wank ST up, and always try to find any type of rationalization to make ST more powerful and better than SW, in everyway...

That's the impression I get when reading your arguments...

It was not meant as an insult, simply as an observation...
I don't really care much for Star Trek except for the newest movie. They just have neat tech, and I had to watch it growing up so I know a lot about it, and tend to find it boring.

I watch Star Wars for pleasure, and I know the setting well.

I could give you a list of my favorite series, and you wouldn't find Star Trek or Star Wars on it. I'm not emotionally invested in them. I don't own a Star Fleet uniform, know a word of Klingon, or pretend to be a Vulcan.
_____
How do I wank Star Trek? You have something in mind.

How does Picard wank Star Trek? I've seen similar results to his scalings, and calcuations done by others.
_____
Why do you want Star Trek to be something it's not?

Why do you want Star Wars to be better then it is even if it should be?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:05 pm

You okay Praeothmin? I don't mean to pry but the last few weeks I guess you've seemed on edge or something.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:09 pm

I don't really care much for Star Trek except for the newest movie. They just have neat tech, and I had to watch it growing up so I know a lot about it, and tend to find it boring.
Well obviously you are an heretic than and shall boiled in drive plasma until you repent your ways or are extra crispy whichever comes first. :)

Seriously through, if I may ask, why were you forced to watch Star Trek?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:35 pm

sonofccn wrote:
Well obviously you are an heretic than and shall boiled in drive plasma until you repent your ways or are extra crispy whichever comes first. :)

Seriously through, if I may ask, why were you forced to watch Star Trek?
By boring I mean in comparison to what I like.

It beat sports in my opinion, it was a family bonding thing, and I wasn't even 5 yet when we watched TOS back in the eighties.

TNG was on before a show I liked as was Voyager.

Oddly DS9 was often on the TVs at my job.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:34 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I don't mean to rain on your parade again, Praeo, but I have argued on Wars' behalf before. Just read this exchange here and here in the "List of expanded universe sources incompatible with ICS" thread. Mostly I'm out to debunk the ICS and other crap that Warsies have spewed around. But I'm perfectly open to reasonable SW firepower and tech as it has been portrayed in the movies. However it's hard to do so since TCW came along and really trashed even megaton to low gigaton-range firepower estimates for Wars ships and shields.
-Mike
I did specify you were the "Trekkiest" here, I didn't say you were a "Rabid Trekkie", because, as you said, you did defend SW a few times, and are fairer than most Trekkies.
Heck, I'm a Trekkie as well, but a very moderate one in many aspects, and lately, here, I've found myself debating on the SW side because there were too many "Trek-wankings" for my taste, like the "ST shields are gravitonzzz so nothing SW hazz can hert the ST, ST winzzzzzz" idiocy, and a few others like that...
But this still doesn't make you anything close to a Warsie... :)
Lucky wrote:How do I wank Star Trek? You have something in mind.
Well,
I'm stating that ECM from Star Wars will likely not work on ships from Star Trek because the sensors in Star Trek are just over all much better, and scan for more things.
Based on nothing in general, ignoring the fact that standard radiation can and does interfere with sensors on many occasions in ST...
How does Picard wank Star Trek? I've seen similar results to his scalings, and calcuations done by others
And who were those with similar calculations?
Darkstar?
Picard uses 500MT for torpedoes, a number that came up from who knows where, and bases all his other calculations and estimates on that number...
I honestly have a hard time with the 500MT number just as much as I have with the 200GT ICS number fo HTLs...
Why do you want Star Trek to be something it's not?

Why do you want Star Wars to be better then it is even if it should be?
Why do you want ST to be so muych better than it is?
Why do you absolutely refuse to give SW anything at all, even when it has shown it has it, like anti-gravity...
sonofccn wrote:You okay Praeothmin? I don't mean to pry but the last few weeks I guess you've seemed on edge or something.
I may have been.
Sorry if I was abrupt to anyone, I guess I displayed a lot less patience than I usually do in debates...