My web site - finally uploaded

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: My web site - finally uploaded

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm

What if Torpedoes acted as some sort of HEAT round?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:53 pm

You mean focusing entire energy output into one point like shaped charge? It is standard modus operandi after early TNG.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:08 pm

Picard, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCm70favfYI

You see ships getting fragmented from photon torpedos.

Are you honestly claiming that any release of energy is not going to cause structural damage? You think that there weren't any pieces torn off of buildings with Hiroshima, which also released much of its energy in the form of gamma ray radiation?

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:24 pm

@StarWarsStarTrek:

Not to sound too argumenative but are you going to respond to my post?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 pm

StarWarsStarTrek wrote: You see ships getting fragmented from photon torpedos.
At... what time stamps do these occur? I see ships being partially vaporized by phasers and phase poleron beams, but I don't see any photon torpedoes or quantum torpedoes blowing ships right apart. Not unless you mean the little strafing runs by the fighters.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:59 am

And even if he was right, and these were photon torpedoes (despite being identified in script as quantum torpedoes - check Memory Alpha) we know that Star Trek visuals are not exactly as they should be... especially DS9 ones.

Torpedoes meanwhile only put some brand new holes into hulls. Just as it should be.
Are you honestly claiming that any release of energy is not going to cause structural damage? You think that there weren't any pieces torn off of buildings with Hiroshima, which also released much of its energy in the form of gamma ray radiation?
And Hiroshima is within the atmosphere. Gamma rays can't heat everything equally, beacouse intensity drops with distance, but unlike melted/vaporized parts of asteroid, air can expand only into... surrounding air. Whoops. Meanwhile, even if parts of asteroid do fragment from expanding gasses (that is, vaporized metal, most of which will go into vacuum anyway - and they will still have to vaporize parts of atseroid that were just melted) new torpedoes will have to vaporize these fragments, since they don't have time to wait until fragments disperse.

StarWarsStarTrek
Starship Captain

Post by StarWarsStarTrek » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:54 pm

I could debate the Science with you all day, but then explain the Rise asteroid.

It was fragmented, not vaporized. They expected for it to be vaporized, but it was instead fragmented because it was more durable than they expected. Therefore, this means that photon torpedos do shatter things when they can't vaporize them.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:01 pm

Indeed...

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:27 pm

It was made of different materials, it wasn't "more durable", so unless you can explain me how are gamma rays supposed to fragment asteroid...? And photon torpedoes impact on surface, so overpressure from gasses won't do much. Only possibility might be that "Rise" torpedo somehow buried itself inside asteroid.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:Indeed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2RWM65Z ... r_embedded
Hhhmm, I can't see the video from work, so what's it showing?

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Hhhmm, I can't see the video from work, so what's it showing?
Teal'c doing an awesome kojak parody and saying "indeed"

Chris Judge is awesome..he was Magnetos voice over and he played Teal'c

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:57 am

Picard you need to understand that an object will have imperfections in it, and this is the reason why in "Rise" the crew of Voyager expected some fragmentation.

In the Episode "Rise" the crew of Voyager scanned the asteroid, and the scan seem to have showed the asteroid to be a solid hunk of metal, but the asteroid was in fact an engineered weapon designed to give those false readings, and then shatter when hit with what the defending race would think was the right amount of firepower.

I may be wrong about this, but as I understand it the asteroid shattered because of veins of more brittle materials in the asteroid.

I may be wrong, but I think the solution to the problem is to just use more firepower.. As I understand thing is you do not input enough energy you will shatter the target rather then vaporize or melt it because of thermal expansion.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:00 pm

True. But that depends - if you have materials where expansion is similar (like nickel and iron) then it will not shatter beacouse differences in expansion will not be large enough. On the other hand, asteroid or comet made from rocky parts connected by ice, or rocky asteroid which has enough ice inside it, will shatter due to pressure of evaporating ice. But differences must be very large for it to work.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:39 am