SB.com Modern Army vs Stormtroopers with support...

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

SB.com Modern Army vs Stormtroopers with support...

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Leo1, Schatten and Facehugger are at it again... :)

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 61&page=10

Incredible how they argue, first, that the Ties are too fast for F-22 to catch up to them, then Leo seriously wonders if modern missiles could hurt them... :)

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Re: SB.com Modern Army vs Stormtroopers with support...

Post by sonofccn » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Incredible how they argue, first, that the Ties are too fast for F-22 to catch up to them, then Leo seriously wonders if modern missiles could hurt them... :)
Well considering they have the structural integrity of papier-mâché he might be onto something. Our missiles might slam right through them without even realizing they'd hit anything leaving the pilot, minus a missile sized hole through his spleen, completly safe.:-)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:47 am

sonofccn wrote:
Well considering they have the structural integrity of papier-mâché he might be onto something. Our missiles might slam right through them without even realizing they'd hit anything leaving the pilot, minus a missile sized hole through his spleen, completly safe.:-)
Well T.I.E. fighters are the only sci-fi fight that I know of that have been shot down by a guy with a pistol.

I keep seeing claims of TIEs being durasteel in that thread, but I thought they were made out of titanium?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:17 pm

Lucky wrote:
sonofccn wrote:
Well T.I.E. fighters are the only sci-fi fight that I know of that have been shot down by a guy with a pistol.

I keep seeing claims of TIEs being durasteel in that thread, but I thought they were made out of titanium?
What Tie fighter has been shot down by a guy with a pistol?????

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:21 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
What Tie fighter has been shot down by a guy with a pistol?????
It was in a Star Wars comic I read years ago, and it was more someone shot through the transparent part of the cockpit at point-blank range while it was being flown as I recall.

I think Kir Kanos did it.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm

Well, while the cockpit is made of Transparisteel, it does not have the resilience of Durasteel.
In TCW, while Ahsoka is trying to capture a Bounty Huntress, the BH shoots through Slave-1's canopy at Ahsoka, rather easily.
I'm afraid of what a micro-meteorite can do to that canopy... :)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:51 am

Praeothmin wrote:Well, while the cockpit is made of Transparisteel, it does not have the resilience of Durasteel.
In TCW, while Ahsoka is trying to capture a Bounty Huntress, the BH shoots through Slave-1's canopy at Ahsoka, rather easily.
I'm afraid of what a micro-meteorite can do to that canopy... :)
The window on a TIE takes up one whole side. That is a big target that side arms can breach on a ship.

I was under the impression transparasteel was better armor then durasteel, but cost to much?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:24 pm

Neither of which is canon.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Picard wrote:Neither of which is canon.
Or it is. I think it doesn't need to be explained that people talking about the EU do so from the premise that it's canon.
Saying it ain't canon won't help, dude.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:20 pm

I know. But we do have canon examples of glass windows on Griveous' flagship breaking like, well... glass. Windows also can breached like glass by an fighter, as seen in RotJ... so it follows that SW windows are made from glass. But to EU folks, it is transparasteel, naturally... just from what were Griveous staff and that fighter made from? Magic? Duraneutronium? With 10e20 W running throught it? Now I must ask myself what they think when they choose EU over canon. But then again, it is same type of people who argue that ISD in TESB used light turbolasers to vaporize asteroids despite bolts fired by what they say to be light turbolasers being 9 times larger than average light bolt fired by fighters or DSI defensive emplacements. So, transparasteel at very least is not canon, and durasteel seems no better than ordinary steel (melting in obviously not super-hot lava).

And we have Lucas stating that EU is not canon. So they are basically going against word of God that created Star Wars in first place, and against logic, especially with their silly attempts to reshape canon to fit ICS II/III. I'm sorry, but I must paraphrase Spock (I just watched that episode):

"It would be most interesting to impress their memory engrams on a computer. The resulting torrential flood of illogic would be most entertaining."

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:12 pm

Picard wrote:I know. But we do have canon examples of glass windows on Griveous' flagship breaking like, well... glass. Windows also can breached like glass by an fighter, as seen in RotJ... so it follows that SW windows are made from glass. But to EU folks, it is transparasteel, naturally... just from what were Griveous staff and that fighter made from? Magic? Duraneutronium? With 10e20 W running throught it? Now I must ask myself what they think when they choose EU over canon. But then again, it is same type of people who argue that ISD in TESB used light turbolasers to vaporize asteroids despite bolts fired by what they say to be light turbolasers being 9 times larger than average light bolt fired by fighters or DSI defensive emplacements. So, transparasteel at very least is not canon, and durasteel seems no better than ordinary steel (melting in obviously not super-hot lava).

And we have Lucas stating that EU is not canon. So they are basically going against word of God that created Star Wars in first place, and against logic, especially with their silly attempts to reshape canon to fit ICS II/III. I'm sorry, but I must paraphrase Spock (I just watched that episode):

"It would be most interesting to impress their memory engrams on a computer. The resulting torrential flood of illogic would be most entertaining."
Do we have any way to gage how strong General Grievous is? That should tell you the upper limit for how much pressure the windows can take per square inch, but there would be a difference between breaking a window outward on a spaceship in space and atmosphere.

You can also use the A-wing crashing into the bridge tower in return of the jedi.

I would think the windows should not be much weaker then the armor even if they appear to break like glass.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I am not trying to determine resillience of windows, I am just stating windows are made from glass (no transparasteel). And given that Griveous used electro-staff and not, say, normal helbarde, renders any attempt to judge strength of windows moot. However, what is obvious from scene, is that windows are indeed glass, and not something else.

And I think windows are weaker than armor, and that by great margin. That A-Wing in RotJ wasn't particularly fast, had its shields down, and simply smashed windows.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:19 am

Picard wrote:I am not trying to determine resillience of windows, I am just stating windows are made from glass (no transparasteel). And given that Griveous used electro-staff and not, say, normal helbarde, renders any attempt to judge strength of windows moot. However, what is obvious from scene, is that windows are indeed glass, and not something else.

And I think windows are weaker than armor, and that by great margin. That A-Wing in RotJ wasn't particularly fast, had its shields down, and simply smashed windows.
It just means they break like glass, not that they are glass.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:34 am

Picard wrote:I am not trying to determine resillience of windows, I am just stating windows are made from glass (no transparasteel). And given that Griveous used electro-staff and not, say, normal helbarde, renders any attempt to judge strength of windows moot. However, what is obvious from scene, is that windows are indeed glass, and not something else.

What ever they are the fact is that they shattered due to a few cracks that were created by that staff and as we know the difference in atmospheric pressure between space and inside a space ship we can easily say that the material slups butt as far as being useful on a warship cos it would not stop a contemporary AP round let alone the 100's of gigatons warsies claim were hitting the ship.