Galactic Empire vs Federation of Planets @ Spacebattles

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Picard
Starship Captain

Re: Galactic Empire vs Federation of Planets @ Spacebattles

Post by Picard » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Thanks. That explains a lot.
All this makes only sense if there was no shield behind the fleet.
If we really want to theoritize, it might be possible that planetary shields on Coruscant and Hoth are DSI-style shields, which do not prevent passage of ships (althought such possibility is countered in Hoth example by need to lower shields, unless that need is due to ion cannon). But only evidence supporting planetary shields I am aware now is from TESB line that "there is energy field protecting area of sixth planet of Hoth system", althought it is possible that I misheard it (it would be wierd, thought, as guy who translated TESB novelization to Croatian is not likely to have misinterpreted it). I will have to check that.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUSOjCpq ... re=related

At 2:38 we have Veers reporting shield. It does seem he said "protecting area of sixth planet of Hoth system". Althought if that is the case, it is extremely wierd that Empire could land troops, unless shield is passable by ships and had to be lowered due to ion cannon. But if that is case, why wait until transport is almost next to shield? On other hand, altitude at which hits from ion cannon passed transport is bit too high for theater shield. I must admit I'm bit confused.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:39 pm

Picard wrote:And what about RotS novelization? I think it states that Coruscant was protected by planetary shield, but Separatist fleet was already under it by time it was raised (unless Serafina or whoever told me that lied - I wom't be surprised if it is case).
Actually the novelization doesn't mention any planetary shield whatsoever. Contrary to what you can hear from certain bits of the EU - which I'm yet to see properly quoted - there was no pancake shield in place. At least no layer beneath the ships, as debris were described falling onto the planet. Of course, from there, there was nothing preventing the ships from coring the planet as long as necessary in order to destroy the shield projector which supposedly were casting the upper layer.
Strictly speaking, it's the EU that really insists that there's that many shields on planets, and even there, it's not a count as high as generally claimed. Few planets ever had such shields. By heart, there was Caamas, there's Bothawui, and probably a few others, plus Coruscant at some point during the Empire.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:48 pm

Picard wrote:At 2:38 we have Veers reporting shield. It does seem he said "protecting area of sixth planet of Hoth system". Althought if that is the case, it is extremely wierd that Empire could land troops, unless shield is passable by ships and had to be lowered due to ion cannon. But if that is case, why wait until transport is almost next to shield? On other hand, altitude at which hits from ion cannon passed transport is bit too high for theater shield. I must admit I'm bit confused.
Let's look more closely at this again:

VEERS: My lord, the fleet has moves out of light-speed. Com-Scan has detected an energy field protecting an area around the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any
bombardment.

Okay, the energy field protects an area on or around the sixth planet. Now a bit later we get a critical piece of information after much Force-choking of Admiral Ozzel and promotion of Piett:

VADER: Make ready to land out troops beyond the energy shield and deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off that system. You are in command now, Admiral Piett.

Why would Vader order Piett and Veers to land troops out beyond the shield perimeter, if it covered the entire planet, or they could land through it all anyway?
-Mike

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:41 am

Picard wrote:Thanks. That explains a lot.
All this makes only sense if there was no shield behind the fleet.
If we really want to theoritize, it might be possible that planetary shields on Coruscant and Hoth are DSI-style shields, which do not prevent passage of ships.
What sense would a planetary shield make if it is not able to protect against bombs and torpedoes? Or an attacking fleet could simply dive through the shield and open fire then.
No, when Warsies are talking about planetary shield, they are talking about shields that don't let matter pass like the Endor shield.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:24 am

Except that Ednor shield was not planetary shield, and any PS that do not let ships throught (like seen in EU) are against G canon.

I also noticed some things from EU (not canon but here we go):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Ba ... _Vong_War)

Planetary shield is set by "planetary defense grid". That and rest of article seem to suggest that "planetary shield" is nothing more than mass of overlapping theatre shields. In few other mentions of "planetary shield" it is not specified how shield operates.

One more EU cookie:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _TFUCG.jpg

Camaas after orbital bombardment which is specifically stated to be "Base Delta zero".

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 pm

Picard wrote:Except that Ednor shield was not planetary shield,...
By definition, it is a planetary shield. Its uniqueness is that it was casting its protecting envelop around an object in orbit about twice as big as the first Death Star.
and any PS that do not let ships throught (like seen in EU) are against G canon.
G canon also has missiles and solid crafts. I doubt the Empire is that dumb.
It's obvious that it used ground units to exploit some flaw in such a shield.
After watching TPM, I noticed the noise the Gungan shield made when it touched the ground. It was electrical, and I wondered if the mere fact of touching the ground was enough to let a mechanical unit move through.
Now, the Gungan shield was unique, but somehow, it seems that something similar to this idea appeared in the EU. A source I think says that it disrupts repulsors, but I'm not agreeing, since we know since TPM that droidekas move by using repulsors and they could push through shields as well. You could always say that they switch their repulsors on and off sequentially though. But why would the damn droidekas have such a function and not other repulsor based war engine? Doesn't make much sense.
Still, we will always have to let SW a bit of leeway since using gigantic walkers wasn't exactly the soundest way of acting up an efficient assault. A mix of artillery, tanks and aircrafts deployed inside the shield would have been far more powerful and accurate.

Others would say that shields filter according to speed and/or momentum, but then simply slowing down would solve the problem.
One more EU cookie:

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... _TFUCG.jpg

Camaas after orbital bombardment which is specifically stated to be "Base Delta zero".
That picture was already provided on this forum.
One minor detail though.
Wong claimed that both "Specter of the Past" and "Vision of the Future" identified the reason of Caamas' destruction as the application of a BDZ, but it's not true.
It's only on page 97 of the Saga Edition of "Starships of the Galaxy", for the Imperial Star Destroyer, where it's confirmed that Caamas was subjected to a Base Delta Zero operation. That said, as you have seen, it's nowhere close to what they claim, despite SotG stating, on page 97, that BDZs are "bombardments that wipe out all life and industry on a planet", and earlier on, for the Acclamator pages, says that a BDZ is an "orbital bombardment designed to eradicate all factors of production (including all sentients)" on page 57.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:49 am

Picard wrote:Except that Ednor shield was not planetary shield, and any PS that do not let ships throught (like seen in EU) are against G canon.

I also noticed some things from EU (not canon but here we go):

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/First_Ba ... _Vong_War)

Planetary shield is set by "planetary defense grid". That and rest of article seem to suggest that "planetary shield" is nothing more than mass of overlapping theatre shields. In few other mentions of "planetary shield" it is not specified how shield operates.
Planetary shields in Star Wars have always been shields that protect a small area of a planets surface. It's why some pro-Star Wars debaters want Alderaan to have a shield because it would be the only shield that covered an entire planet like they are shown to often do in Star Trek.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:11 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
G canon also has missiles and solid crafts. I doubt the Empire is that dumb.
It's obvious that it used ground units to exploit some flaw in such a shield.
After watching TPM, I noticed the noise the Gungan shield made when it touched the ground. It was electrical, and I wondered if the mere fact of touching the ground was enough to let a mechanical unit move through.
Now, the Gungan shield was unique, but somehow, it seems that something similar to this idea appeared in the EU. A source I think says that it disrupts repulsors, but I'm not agreeing, since we know since TPM that droidekas move by using repulsors and they could push through shields as well. You could always say that they switch their repulsors on and off sequentially though. But why would the damn droidekas have such a function and not other repulsor based war engine? Doesn't make much sense.
Still, we will always have to let SW a bit of leeway since using gigantic walkers wasn't exactly the soundest way of acting up an efficient assault. A mix of artillery, tanks and aircrafts deployed inside the shield would have been far more powerful and accurate.

Others would say that shields filter according to speed and/or momentum, but then simply slowing down would solve the problem.
Well we do see a planetary shield on Geonosis behave like the Gungan shield in that you could just walk through it. I think speed, and possibly the mount of force you use on the shields has something to do with how easy it is to get trough.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:19 am

If you're still following the SB.com thread, I'd like to note that the Bre'el moon comes up here on our board.

There are a couple issues with the Bre'el moon - one is that it's supposed to be massive enough to induce tidal effects. An issue with the "Pegasus" asteroid is the gravity and magnetic fields of the asteroid. A 5 km hunk of granite can't be "unstable" and in danger of collapsing in on itself; it's barely even holding together.

I'd like to talk about the explosive effects for a minute, since both Rama and Kitt are failing a bit. (Rama is correct to complain). A mass estimate based on the impact can be calculated by comparison to the K-T impact.

The Bre'el moon is expected to instantly destroy everything within 800 km of impact. The actual crater from the K-T impact is actually only around 90 km in radius. In order to produce a 1600 km diameter crater we would need a pretty massive object, although still likely at least an order of magnitude short of the 10^20 kg object Kittmaru is describing.

A major problem with "immediate destructive effects" - ejecta from the impact go outwards omnidirectionally. A shockwave may circle the globe, but most of the energy is going straight out of the atmosphere for a bit. The K-T impact couldn't directly destroy everything on Earth by shock forces; too much of its energy wound up in ejecta.

It's hard to justify 10^20 kg based on impact effects, but: In order to match the K-T impact, a comparatively slow-moving decaying Earth satellite would need to mass about 1-2x10^16 kg, or about 10-20 trillion tons. Anything in that range or larger is an extinction-level event.

On the other hand, in order to produce tidal effects of the kind explicitly described in the episode, we need an asteroid in the e18-e19 kg range. (Which I pointed out here.) To be totally consistent with the effects described in the episode, we need a fairly massive slow-moving asteroidal moon. It helps if Bre'el is less massive than Earth (which can easily happen with little to no change in the episode's content), which lets the orbital speeds and surface gravity be a bit lower, allowing us to reduce the mass and velocity of the impactor.

On "Rise" in comparison:

It's worth noting that the size of the asteroid in "Rise" is on the order of hundreds of meters. There's actually no inconsistency at aell with the combination of a hundreds of meter diameter asteroid expected to be vaporized by a photon torpedo, not vaporized due to its artificial nature, with artifacts surviving, and a tens of kilometer diameter asteroid with a ship in the middle requiring a hundred photon torpedoes to insure the destruction of the phase cloak.

Mentioning these events in the same breath with "The Die is Cast" as if somehow TDIC lines up with "Rise" but not "Pegasus" is totally absurd. "Rise" gives tens to hundreds of megatons, and "Pegasus" lines up with anything from megatons to gigatons.

A footnote on the actual content of the thread:
Slayer of Gods wrote:Can you please answer the question, do you have the link or not?
Rama wrote:So you don't have a refutation to the scaling? Considering that you apparently don't object to the images presented.
Linky.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Does anyone know where to find high-quality screenshot of last frame before "Rise" torpedo strikes asteroid? Or high-quality screenshots of entire asteroid destruction sequence, if possible? You can PM me. When I did calculations with Darkstar's screenshots, energy required to vaporize asteroid came out as 21.5 gigatons. When I did it with screenshots I found on SDN, it came out as 98 megatons, and when I checked that with Wong's calculator, it came out as 93 megatons (I took 100 K as starting temperature and he took 150 K).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:05 am

Picard wrote:Does anyone know where to find high-quality screenshot of last frame before "Rise" torpedo strikes asteroid? Or high-quality screenshots of entire asteroid destruction sequence, if possible? You can PM me. When I did calculations with Darkstar's screenshots, energy required to vaporize asteroid came out as 21.5 gigatons. When I did it with screenshots I found on SDN, it came out as 98 megatons, and when I checked that with Wong's calculator, it came out as 93 megatons (I took 100 K as starting temperature and he took 150 K).
I'd like to have a batch of screencaps of the whole sequence (zipped or rarred on mediafire for example).

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:38 am

What is the Level of canon for scenes that end up on the cutting room floor? In post 559 ricrery1 claims they are not canon? I thought scrips were canon, and such a scene if filmed would have been in the scrips.

For such a scene to not be canon you would need a quote stating it as such, right?

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:52 am

By definition, it is a planetary shield. Its uniqueness is that it was casting its protecting envelop around an object in orbit about twice as big as the first Death Star.
It was shield, but it was not planetary shield. Unless I'm mistaken, shield needs to completely protect (envelope) planet it is set up from to be described as "planetary".

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:29 pm

Picard wrote:
It was shield, but it was not planetary shield. Unless I'm mistaken, shield needs to completely protect (envelope) planet it is set up from to be described as "planetary".
Different Sci-Fi universes have different meanings for the same term. In Star Wars a planetary shield is simply a shield that is on a planet. In star Wars they never cover the entire planet.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Sans the fact that every instance in which the Federation were incapable of vaporizing asteroids without significant amounts of energy being involved even for them such as in Pegasus, Deja Q and The Paradise Syndrome, one instance in which a torpedo with an increased yield (by 11%) barely fractured the asteroid it impacted in Genesis (let alone turning the entire nearby field to vapor), that the E-D could not destroy an asteroid with a dense iron core even with several subsequent following torpedoes in Cost of Living, that the E-D had to supplement the aid of a minor solar prominence to destroy a vessel that their weapons were utterly useless against in Descent, part II, similarly three Dominion attack craft are destroyed whilst sitting on the leading edge of a CME during the episode Shadows and Symbols, that Voyager was forced to ground herself when under attack from Turien weapons that generated barely gigajoule range blasts when used in atmosphere during the episode Dragon's Teeth. Then there's the fact that we see one Bajoran Raider and two Interceptors dog fighting over the surface of a planet in The Siege.
Pegasus: involved a magic asteroid that had gravitational and magnetic fields more hazardous then a star, and Riker a guy known for seemingly not knowing what his ship can do and underestimating it wanted to remove any sign the Pegasus was ever there as fast a possible. That tells us logically anything, but a high end interpretation of what Riker intend is out of the question, and that implies gigatons if the asteriod was mundane which it was not.

Deja Q: Isn't this the same Moon they could destroy with no problem, and was causing tidle effects similar to Earth's Moon, and make a crater larger then the asteroid that?

The Paradise Syndrome: What is know about said asteroid?

Genesis: What proof is there the asteroid was at maximum yield?

Cost of Living: An asteroid core that was made out of fictional materials with unknow properties.

Descent, part II: In Desent part II they artificially create a fictional solar phenomenon called a solar fusion eruption. We can't know what the properties are of a SFR, and therefore inspite of what some would like can't know how powerful one is.

Shadows and Symbols: I haven't seen the episode, but i seem to recall the flair to be oddly powerful, and artificial.

Dragon's Teeth What are the properties of Turien weapons?

The Siege: They dog fight and...
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: The resultant Interceptor attacks are barely enough to shake the very tree lines they hit, and yet they directly threaten the vessel as per comments from the two pilots. This is the same class of vessel that was capable of leading a standoff against a Romulan Warbird in Shadows and symbols, and whilst were not a direct threat by itself, was enough to give the Romulans pause for thought despite their intention of taking the system by force. We also have that fact that sitting fifty million kilometers away from a Neutron star would be hazardous to their shields within minutes according to Allegiances.
What is Rama talking about? I don't think I have heard of the episode before.

So how much energy would hit the ship at the safe distances in Allegiances, and is there anything odd about it?
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Let's not also forget that BOP's were getting dropped left, right and center by ramming Jemmie fighters in Tears of the Prophets,
Right, let's ignore the fact the Jemmie ships seem designed for ramming, and have shields themselves.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: the E-E loses 30% of her shields after scraping her nacelle against a loose piece of relatively slow moving debris in Nemesis,
It's mostlikely a VFX screw up. Trek loves to show things moving slower then they are, and how do we the object was just a peace of debree?

Star trek shields are the same type of defenses used in Honor Harrington after all.

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Impell ... ller_wedge

http://honorverse.wikia.com/wiki/Space_ ... _Shielding

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Trek/Movi ... ni0369.jpg

The whole lasers are useless thing is not a no limits fallacy.
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: a 90 isoton explosive only manages to explosively fracture the asteroid it is planted on in Time to Stand, rather than outright vaporizing it in milliseconds, or the crew using their own weapons to vaporize the asteroid itself.
And what is this astroid made of that lets it survive things warships can't? The Defiant had to be 800 kilometers from the blast.
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: We then also have the Federation fleet forced to turn the defense turrets surrounding Chintoka on their own buried generator in Tears of the Prophets. These are weapons that have been seen gutting Galaxy-class warships during the battle, and yet their own weapons barely even pound sections of the rocky surface.
So they had to exploit a weakness in a shield to destroy it. That speaks well of the shield, but says little about UFP capabilities.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: At [1:20] there should be explosive fragmentation and massive vaporization, with 50% of the rock being reduced to a crater with just a single 64 gigaton warhead; even if the rock was 40km across and made of nickel-iron, a 100 gigaton warhead would be sufficient to cut it in half. And again, these are weapons that go straight through a GCS, and cut Romulan Warbirds apart. And yet their combined plasma torpedoes had no effect sans minor cosmetic damage.
How nice that there are things in trek that enhance the durability of materials, and materials that are far more durable the nickel and iron that seem common in trek.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: There's also the fact that the only known Starship power generation figures we have for the Warp Core (10E12 and 10E18 watts respectively) are nine orders of magnitude away from making exaton level power levels (10E27) anywhere near realistic at a minimum, and fifteen orders of magnitude at a maximum interpretation of the quote.
The only known power generation figures for a starship are not for it's maximum output, but for when it is just sitting in orbit.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: But yes, other than those demonstarted feats of tactical weapons and shields being far less than even a solitary gigaton, I have no other evidence that Federation, Romulan or Klingon tactical systems cannot bypass the petaton range.
Right.... It's a good thing there is a smiley face or I might think Rama was serious about the above.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: No evidence required. Kirk states that he intends to follow through with the destruction of the inhabited surface (surfaces that have a population), that it would take some hours, and that he intends to destroy their civilization through the targeting of cities and installations.

That's no more proof of petaton tactical systems than it is supporting evidence of megaton level weapons. In fact the deliberately specified targets (those being population centers) and the duration of the destruction (requiring multiple volleys) far more leniently supports my postulation that they cannot casually blast entire hemispheres off the map with contention or through accidental discharge (as your claims would require) of tactical weapons; thus they cannot effortlessly destroy asteroids with their torpedoes less than a century later, or survive sun diving events unharmed.
I'd love to see quotes to back this up since I seem to remember the Enterprise D at least worrying about such things.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: You mean those claims that I've already dismissed, and you've simply dodged conceding to despite ignoring them?
I do hope Rama was not talking about the part above the smiley.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: And make up nonsense up at the same time apparently.
Like the first part of Rama's post?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote:Well done, you've just defeated your entire argument in one sentence. It takes a true artist to prop a point so poorly, then immediately self-terminate it so swiftly.

A) Note that O'Brien doesn't specify what kind of damage we're talking about specifically, but as I can see from your firepower, you've falsely assumed it meant total fireball radius.

B) The reason I call it a false assumption?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmRrbX6 ... r_embedded

Watch from [3:00]. First problem with your claim, the bomb explodes too early, and continues to slowly release the energy caused by the blast. Whilst the surface facility is destroyed, the asteroid beneath it is utterly unharmed. A 512 TT detonation would melt-vaporize a 45 km wide nickel-iron asteroid in a second, and we know the facility isn't that large since we can see a 90 meters Jem'Hadar fighter in the foreground of a shot performing a flyby of the facility:
Neat the blast was in slow motion, and Rama assumes that all of the explosive went up all at once, he assumes there was nothing protecting the asteroid, and that it was made of things found in the real world. Rama is illy.
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: The asteroid then does explode seconds later, rather violently, but it still only leaves massive fragments that almost equal Sisko's vessel in scale. The subsequent "slow" detonation of a 500 TT warhead would have turned the whole thing gaseous vapor expanding in a cloud of plasma, instead we get to see a weird space fireball followed by a shit ton of rocks and dust. This is again assuming a 45km nickel-iron rock, instead of a chunk of proto-planetary matter that is perhaps a few kilometers across at most.
So clear example of slow motion, and where do we learn what the asteroid is made of, and what it's defenses are? It was a very important place to the Dominion.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: C) We also have the problem that even if we assume that this was a 500 TT blast, the fighter would only absorb a fractional amount of the energy as per inverse square law. In fact if we look at the explosion as an omni-directional sphere, the vessel would only absorb 1-5 TT even if I'm feeling generous (and not 50% of the energy as you described in a previous post- idiot), and yet she was severely damaged despite being not only far from the blast, but by absorbing a tiny fraction of it

This is what inverse square law looks like:

Which means that even if the Voyager absorbed a Supernova (), she will only absorb as much energy as her surface area will allow her to, not how much energy it is propelling into the entire area. And yet these are vessels that are deemed worthy enough to go toe-to-toe with capital ships in albeit greater numbers, so why aren't they instantly roasted by their own petaton weapons when they fire them at close range (which is three OOM greater than a TT)? Or by Federation weapons? How can they threaten the Defiant (which according to you can turn the surface of a planet to "cinders") when absorbing a fraction of a TT is enough to severely damage it?
Clearly they are much more durable then Rama give them credit.

We are talking about Star destroyers that get destroyed by flying near stars after all, and blow up from asteroid strikes. They lost two Star destroyers in the Hoth system to asteroids.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: D) Worse still, this was a strategic bomb laced with a technobabble element that they used in lieu of their own weapons (which would have blown the asteroid back to stellar gases if they had petaton weapons); which was clearly technobabble since real explosives don't go from being tiny puffs of fire, to an actual explosion in ten seconds.
It's a good thing Star Wars uses much weaker weapons then.

Where is Rama getting his information about what the targets can take?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Liar. They jumped into the subspace rift before the nova could take place, and they even later comment that if they were hit by the blast, they would be dead.
Does anyone have a quote one way or the other? I don't quiet remember what was said, but I know that they needed the supernova to at least be taking place, and I seem to recall it actually being an implosion.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: That's so cute! Look at you trying to use real-world science, and fail at doing so!

Here's a hint genius. Look up inverse-square law, which states that whatever energy is transmitted omni-directionally in her totality, only a fraction is going to be absorbed into the surface area of a smaller object at a greater distance.

Which means that if a main-sequence star going nova has a surface area of 6.08E12 km^2, and Voyager has a surface area of 0.103 km^2, the surface of Voyager will only absorb 1.69E-12% (or 0.00000000000169%) of the total energy of the supernova. Which is still quite a lot of energy, but still never actually happened.
Why do I have the feeling Rama is missing something?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Circular logic.

If a Warbird can damage the E-D, and the Borg cannot be damaged by the E-D, the Borg must be more powerful than both.

Which still ignores the following pile of evidence that stands between you and your claims of petaton-exaton tactical weapons:

Sans the fact that every instance in which the Federation were incapable of vaporizing asteroids without significant amounts of energy being involved even for them such as in Pegasus, Deja Q and The Paradise Syndrome, one instance in which a torpedo with an increased yield (by 11%) barely fractured the asteroid it impacted in Genesis (let alone turning the entire nearby field to vapor), that the E-D could not destroy an asteroid with a dense iron core even with several subsequent following torpedoes in Cost of Living, that the E-D had to supplement the aid of a minor solar prominence to destroy a vessel that their weapons were utterly useless against in Descent, part II, similarly three Dominion attack craft are destroyed whilst sitting on the leading edge of a CME during the episode Shadows and Symbols, that Voyager was forced to ground herself when under attack from Turien weapons that generated barely gigajoule range blasts when used in atmosphere during the episode Dragon's Teeth. Then there's the fact that we see one Bajoran Raider and two Interceptors dog fighting over the surface of a planet in The Siege.

The resultant Interceptor attacks are barely enough to shake the very tree lines they hit, and yet they directly threaten the vessel as per comments from the two pilots. This is the same class of vessel that was capable of leading a standoff against a Romulan Warbird in Shadows and symbols, and whilst were not a direct threat by itself, was enough to give the Romulans pause for thought despite their intention of taking the system by force. We also have that fact that sitting fifty million kilometers away from a Neutron star would be hazardous to their shields within minutes according to Allegiances.

Let's not also forget that BOP's were getting dropped left, right and center by ramming Jemmie fighters in Tears of the Prophets, the E-E loses 30% of her shields after scraping her nacelle against a loose piece of relatively slow moving debris in Nemesis, a 90 isoton explosive only manages to explosively fracture the asteroid it is planted on in Time to Stand, rather than outright vaporizing it in milliseconds, or the crew using their own weapons to vaporize the asteroid itself. We then also have the Federation fleet forced to turn the defense turrets surrounding Chintoka on their own buried generator in Tears of the Prophets. These are weapons that have been seen gutting Galaxy-class warships during the battle, and yet their own weapons barely even pound sections of the rocky surface.

(see video)

At [1:20] there should be explosive fragmentation and massive vaporization, with 50% of the rock being reduced to a crater with just a single 64 gigaton warhead; even if the rock was 40km across and made of nickel-iron, a 100 gigaton warhead would be sufficient to cut it in half. And again, these are weapons that go straight through a GCS, and cut Romulan Warbirds apart. And yet their combined plasma torpedoes had no effect sans minor cosmetic damage.

There's also the fact that the only known Starship power generation figures we have for the Warp Core (10E12 and 10E18 watts respectively) are nine orders of magnitude away from making exaton level power levels (10E27) anywhere near realistic at a minimum, and fifteen orders of magnitude at a maximum interpretation of the quote.

- - -

But yes, other than those demonstarted feats of tactical weapons and shields being far less than even a solitary gigaton, I have no other evidence that Federation, Romulan or Klingon tactical systems cannot bypass the petaton range.

See what happens when you begin to throw a spanner in the works?
Rama has demonstrated a lack of something. I'll assume just a bad memory.
Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Except this was a megaton event at best, until you can actually provide evidence to your "derp, it are too dense" claim.
It's not like we have seen trek ships drill thousands of kilometers in seconds. TDIC is hardly an outlier.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Plus there's also the fact that the E-D only expected to last several more minutes in the stellar atmosphere before he shields collapsed, to which she would be absorbing a small fraction of the energy produced by the CME.
What CME is Rama talking about? It sounds like Rama is talking about Desent part 2, but there was no CME in that episode that destroyed a ship. It was a solar fusion eruption so calculating a CME is pointless, and weren't there some odd things about the Star like it's temperature?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: That they weren't in the nebula for days at a time? I don't know Slayer, how about watching the episode and film in question, where they spend hours at most - dumbass.
What is Rama talking about? What Episode is Rama talking about?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Ergo there is no evidence at all that the scene supports planet wasting or greater than megaton firepower

Thanks for playing, try again.
And nothing that counters it. General order 24 implies planet wasting power.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Uh, so that planet with the giant dark ring isn't glowing because the scene we see takes places decades later? Where the rock would have finally cooled off, most of the ejecta would have fallen out of high orbit thanks to a fluctuating gravitational pull, the all encompassing clouds of atomized soil and rock have finally settled after orbiting the planet as super-heated particles and the giant continent sized cracks pulverized into the surface were glued over by Elves.

Damn, that's about as close to reasonable as about the most intelligent thing you've uttered thus far.
How does one reconcile what we see at the end of Obsession? The blast did make that crater, and blew off half the atmosphere, but did not seem to leave a glowing crater.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Where the Doomsday Machine slowly pulled apart pieces of the planet so slowly that the crew of a Federation starship could be heard screaming and pleading whilst they were still on the surface being attacked for an unknown period of time? By using some sort of technobabble "pure" antiproton stream that would actually have no other effect other than to increase the negative charge of the target and do...

...nothing else.

Death Star Superlaser > Technobabble beam that draws matter from a planet over an unknown period of time.
The Doom's Day machine was using DET.

The Death Star as high as G-canon is technobabble.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: So sound is now an effective weapon in space

Good God, this is like the Learning Channel, if it was hosted by a five year old. Quick tip: The decibel is widely known as a measure of sound pressure level, which has no function in space since space is a god damned vacuum. This is no more impressive than if I were to claim that a Star Destroyer could tank a petaton if she could survive being blasted by an Aerosmith concert from Mars.

Read a book (or preferably stay in school) you Chimp.
And yet the weapon was meant to be used on ships in space. It doesn't matter how silly it sound, it happened in the series.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Read the dialogue again. Nobody says Riker is wrong, nobody even glances at him puzzlingly. Instead Data offers a solution that involves bypassing the need for power, by sending the message via a pre-exiting carrier signal.

As an analogy, imagine that you were trying to send a radio message to someone in the next town, but the transmitter in your CB was too weak. Now here I come along with a microwave transmitter that allows me to contact anyone in the globe. You relay your message to me, which allows me to then broadcast it with ease.

Your transmitter hasn't spontaneously grown anymore powerful, instead you've opted to use another system that can manage the output. Does that mean YOUR radio is now stronger as a result? No, it doesn't.

Data did essentially the same thing.
Context showed Riker was refering to the comunacations system.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: However, at the exact moment he finishes saying his line, the warp core goes critical and starts to glow brightly in the very same scene, causing a potential blow-out that would have destroyed the ship if a demi-god wasn't present to stop it. So this is clearly not the reactor working at safe levels, especially when just seconds later they were a hairs breadth from turning to gaseous particles.
And that was Q testing Amanda's abilities, and not the ship.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Mhm, so treating you like an intelligent adult doesn't work. Treating you like a child doesn't work. In fact attempting to communicate through even neolithic gestures seems to fail.

I know, a diagram should work (because if having a Dog has taught me anything, is that if you cannot tell a dumb animal what to do, you have to show it).

Riker claim > No refutation > Data statement

Riker made the claim long before Data made a statement in regards to the irrelevant composition in regards to the gravity of the effecting their propulsion (which is clearly nonsense, since we see their engines working in a gas giant or near stars - and gravity had no effect on their engines - so appealing to it having a high gravity is clearly nonsense), and no one questioned his judgment or patted him on the head and told him he was a good little Commander right there. He based it on the scale of an object in what he called a rocky asteroid field, and given his experience, would have known that if he could apply the same power - tactically - as TDiC, then he could have made the asteroid dissipate in seconds.
This is Pegasus again isn't it? The asteriod that Riker want to at least vaporize.

Wasn't it described as nearly a planet or something like that?

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: However this merely asserts my view, since it is asinine to believe that they programmed the screen to include superfluous details that wouldn't exist in the first place (such as giant ripples that don't intersect along the surface, the presence of clouds along the upper layers); therefore they were using NDF weaponry to blast the crust away, not DET, and thus why those supposed "energies" could not be scaled up to the tactical level, such as against denser asteroids or other starships.
Rama has not proven disruptor and phasers are NDF of course Rama can't because the there is nothing in Star trek that NDFs something. Rama mean DNE, but still has yet to prove it is less energy intensive then DET.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Regardless of whether you agree with Mike Wong or not, you'll be hard pressed to come up with a better explanation that suits how their weapons can harmlessly disintegrate humans without leaving the equivelant volume of boiling gas (that kills everyone standing in the same room).
The fact it used the Tech manuals as sources is enough reason to ignore it. They are the same as N-canon material in Star Wars, and phasers do do collateral damage.

Rama Post 573 http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=176730&page=23 wrote: Appeal to nonsense. Please find me any evidence that proves that this incident is exempt from the typical behavior of continent destroying DET weapons without appealing to the bullshit claim that the Romulans rely on tactical viewscreens that block out what is actually happening, and in some cases even fabricate details that would never occur.
I believe this actually has been proven that in trek that set their view screens to block useless information. I just wish I could remember in what thread.

Why would you want to be shown things like blinding flashes of light?