Best ways for Federation to destroy Death Stars

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Re: Best ways for Federation to destroy Death Stars

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 am

Picard wrote:I am active member* on StarDestroyer.Net. Lately, I have been arguing with Serafina from SDN about ways Federation could destroy Death Stars, especially DSII - she thinks DSII, if finished, would be invulnerable, I don't think so. Your thoughts?
Beam a tribble into the pantry. If they thought Ewoks were furry little menaces....

If that didn't work, Picard would have his ship's lawyer write them a strong letter. It might be a bit harsh, but by golly he can only be pushed so far!

If all else fails, send in Seven of Nine to activate the powers of her Mary Sue Wonder Twins; works every time.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:03 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote: If the Emperor's best Stormtroopers can be beaten by Ewoks, then wouldn't Wookies would be overkill? Chewbacca alone proved that he could take out the entire division himself.
Actually, I imagined a RotJ where the Empires best troops were beaten exactly because they were facing enraged 7 foot hairy monsters sporting Bowcasters and throwing Stormtroopers around...
Losing to them would not be so bad then, and the movie would have been better.
Why would the Wookies have helped the Rebels?
Well, they were around long enough to know about the Force, and that Jedi were not evil and having one face the Emperor was a good thing.
Plus
KSW wrote:Wookies would use any chance to fight the Empire already, and of course they'd be on Chewbacca's side.

Welcome back, by the way... :)

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:19 pm

KirkSkywalker wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Or go back and prevent him from making all but the first two of the original trilogy.... Or at least have all subsequent movies and their special editions made properly instead of the crap we got. ;-)
-Mike
Actually, have him make the first three, but replace the Ewoks with Wookies, and have the technologically advanced Wookies as the DS building workforce...
If the Emperor's best Stormtroopers can be beaten by Ewoks, then wouldn't Wookies would be overkill? Chewbacca alone proved that he could take out the entire division himself.
If Wookies were there, then by time Rebel strike team got there entire job apart of blowing Death Star itself would have been done.

"Stormtroopers were practically invulnerable. But, practically, they were not counting on Wookie".

Except this time it would be Wookies. That worse for Empire.

KirkSkyWalker
Jedi Knight

Post by KirkSkyWalker » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:45 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
KirkSkywalker wrote: If the Emperor's best Stormtroopers can be beaten by Ewoks, then wouldn't Wookies would be overkill? Chewbacca alone proved that he could take out the entire division himself.
Actually, I imagined a RotJ where the Empires best troops were beaten exactly because they were facing enraged 7 foot hairy monsters sporting Bowcasters and throwing Stormtroopers around...
If they were enslaved to the Empire, they wouldn't have Bowcasters; but they would have makeshift weapons, and definitely could be smashing heads.
Losing to them would not be so bad then, and the movie would have been better.
But there wouldn't be the stupid "moral," since the Wookies would just be on the paypack. Also it would be too much like "Planet of the Apes."
Why would the Wookies have helped the Rebels?
Because the Empire attacked and destroyed their home-planet, and enslaved them, perhaps-- and they hated the empire like nobody's business?
And likewise, they were already raging apes who were such sore losers that they ripped arms off for losing a game;
And so, again, their joining the rebels would just be revenge, and that's so icky-poo politically incorrect.

So Lucas figured that in contrast, it would be preferable for the rebels to side with a pack of man-eating baboons who roasted people alive for dinner (hey don't ask me, ask Lucas).

Likewise, the gang wouldn't exactly be in much danger if Han, Like and Chewbacca got captured by Wookies....

Also, Lucas had bad turns with giant actors. For one thing they're hard to come by; Peter Mayhew was working as an orderly in a hospital when Lucas recruited him to play Chewbacca, since he couldn't find anyone suitable in the acting-business; Richard Kiel was about the only real professional actor of anywhere near that size at the time, and he was busy doing James Bond films at the time. Meanwhile the guy who played the Yeti in TESB also wasn't a real actor, just really tall; and he failed to pull it off so miserably, that they had to scrap the whole scene and re-shoot it for the DVD (don't ask me why they didn't just use Peter in a Yeti-costume, maybe some stupid actor's-union rule against double-casting).
In contrast, midgets are a dime-a-dozen in the entertainment world, and readily available-- think "Munchkins in fur suits," and *poof* you've got your Ewoks.
Welcome back, by the way... :)
Why thank you, I've been hella busy...