Crystalline Entities in 40k

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Lucky
Jedi Master

Crystalline Entities in 40k

Post by Lucky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:48 am

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 376&page=3
Originally Posted by Ironanvil1
The half teraton torpedo referred to is used to demolish a spacehulk.

DAoT humanity certainly had some very serious mass manipulating tech, such as them providing Titan with Earth gravity, and it's entirely possible the IoM have an torpedo STC covering it.
Originally Posted by PsyckoSama
Well, then you can use that to get a high end estimate for the durability of 40k ships.

An undamaged spacehulk has 40 hitpoints and to destroy it they'd have to do at least that much damage. That puts a single BFG damage point in at 15.25 gigatons high end. Could be MUCH less depending on how much overkill was involved as this is assuming it did just enough kill.

Though this is moderated by the fact that a single BFG turn is supposed to be something along the lines of 15 minutes.

This sets Imperial Weapons damage at 16.94 Megatons a second per point of damage delivered over a 15 minute period. Note, it is assuming a single shot per-second ROF. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those weapons took 15 minutes between shots which could account for more dramatic examples of firepower.

Note, basing a lot of this off stuff andy chambers said to the BFG mailing list years ago.
This calc done by PsyckoSama seemed interesting, so I thought I'd point it out.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Crystalline Entities in 40k

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:06 pm

Mm, seems to solely hinge on one figure from an old source which was carried over through the latest two editions of the same game (see W40K's random misc numbers thread in here).

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:29 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Mm, seems to solely hinge on one figure from an old source which was carried over through the latest two editions of the same game (see W40K's random misc numbers thread in here).
I tried the search function, and it didn't find any matches. What thread are you talking about?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:24 pm

Here.

I've noticed three interesting quotations, one from "Thousand Sons" (which would indicate a firepower per lance around 1 MT, but that's an "at least") and the other from the yet to be published "Nemesis", the later quotes quite supporting the excessive number touted by Connor, and actually completely ridiculing the 560 GT torp. I wouldn't exclude the possibility of James Swallow, in need of some confirmation that looked solid enough for someone not knowing anything in that department, having run a quick Googleing and picked the most "influential" stuff he'd stumble upon at a first try that looked technical enough.
The quotes from "Nemesis" are of the kind indicating a degree of firepower for basic weapons that completely outclass the supposedly end-of-the-world level of power delivered by an Exterminatus operation, the kind which burrowed creatures, tough Nids and a Titan managed to survive to. An operation that always takes hours to be completed with specialized weapons, and yet which is bested by the mundane weaponry config of some battlebarge or a Chaos ship of similar firepower. I mean, when your basic weapons can boil off oceans and crack crusts...