ASVS Changing to Vbulliten Sunday, October 10th

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

ASVS Changing to Vbulliten Sunday, October 10th

Post by Tyralak » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 pm

For those of you who post there, ASVS will be changing from IPB to Vbulliten this Sunday. The site will be down for a couple of hours. You will need to change your password, as those will not carry over. Make sure your email is current. If you want to get an idea of how it will work go to http://tb1.asvs.org This is just the test site and is not how it will look per se. There is a lot of clutter on the test site, but it's due to us playing around with functions. We have several reasons for changing software. IPB is laid out very differently than most board software, so this leads to a lot of confusion among new members who are used to Vb and others. We are also looking to streamline the interface, and deal with some of the concerns Mr. O and others had. It also gives me more options as regard administration and customization. Invision seems to have a "one size fits all" mentality on a lot of things. We'll have a better awards system, and an actual usable reputation module. That's all for now.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: ASVS Changing to Vbulliten Sunday, October 10th

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:52 am

Nice. Do you know how much will be lost between the transfers, beyond passwords?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:56 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Nice. Do you know how much will be lost between the transfers, beyond passwords?
Nothing else that I know of except for the economy system. All the money will be reset. I'm pretty sure avatars will carry over.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:11 am

Well, this is an interesting development. Right after I announced it, the bulk of my most active members - the ones I thought wanted me to change software - said they want to stay with IPB. The move is on hold until I can figure out what everyone really wants.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Ask Jason.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:48 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Ask Jason.
That would result in postponing the change for a year, the time it takes Ty to decypher Jason's answer... ;)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:08 am

Praeothmin wrote:
That would result in postponing the change for a year, the time it takes Ty to decypher Jason's answer... ;)
Jason isn't hard to understand most of the time. You guys really need to lighten up on the guy a little about his grammar.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Lucky wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:
Jason isn't hard to understand most of the time. You guys really need to lighten up on the guy a little about his grammar.
Most of us have stopped hassling him. We no longer think he's faking being autistic.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Tyralak wrote:Well, this is an interesting development. Right after I announced it, the bulk of my most active members - the ones I thought wanted me to change software - said they want to stay with IPB. The move is on hold until I can figure out what everyone really wants.
Bear in mind, the users who are active are the ones who were willing to keep coping with IPB for this long, so there's a built-in bias among active users towards the current system.

I like the new look, but you probably won't see me around much either way - I'm barely even active here now.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:39 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Tyralak wrote:Well, this is an interesting development. Right after I announced it, the bulk of my most active members - the ones I thought wanted me to change software - said they want to stay with IPB. The move is on hold until I can figure out what everyone really wants.
Bear in mind, the users who are active are the ones who were willing to keep coping with IPB for this long, so there's a built-in bias among active users towards the current system.

I like the new look, but you probably won't see me around much either way - I'm barely even active here now.
This is very true, but they were the only base to voice an opinion. :) I'm glad you like the new look.