WIRED has a geek article on SW canon

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

WIRED has a geek article on SW canon

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:03 pm

I Sense a Disturbance in the Star Wars Canon

# By Chris Baker Email Author
# August 15, 2008 |
# 2:38 pm |
# Categories: Movies, sci-fi

The release of The Clone Wars movie has sent some hard-core Star Wars fans into a tizzy.

"Yeah, it’s Star Wars," wrote JackBauer24 in a post about the animated Clone Wars on The Galactic Senate website. "Star Wars from a man who cares little about established continuity. It’s Star Wars that takes place in a time period already over-crouded (sic) with conflicting stories and source materials. I understand that Lucas wanted to continue the story into television, but Jesus Christ, couldn’t he have picked a point in the saga that wasn’t filled with stories, some of which HE HIMSELF approved?!"

The flap among the fanboys isn’t so much because of the quality of the movie, which opened Friday to mixed reviews, but because of the role it plays in the overarching Star Wars continuity. In fact, the keepers of Lucasfilm’s well-manicured franchise had to come up with a new level of reality for Clone Wars to inhabit — just the kind of move that can get Star Wars superfans’ Wookiee suits in a twist.

"The Clone Wars takes place chronologically between Star Wars films Episode II and Episode III," says Henry Gilroy, a seasoned scripter of animated film and TV who wrote the film as well as the CG TV series due later this year. "We follow the adventures of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi as well as other Jedi fighting to preserve the lofty ideals of the Republic against Count Dooku and his cronies who are threatening to tear the galaxy apart."

The new CG Clone Wars also takes place between a couple different levels of canonicity. As every hard-core Star Wars fan knows, there are differing levels of reality in the franchise’s continuity. The novels, videogames and comic books are all part of what is called the Expanded Universe.

Many Lucasfilm employees spend their days making sure that the different pieces of this vast merchandising empire all fit together and are based on the same physical reality, whether it’s the color of lightsabers or the distance from one planet to another.

But there’s another, higher level of canon — the canon of the films — which is often called "G Canon," since George Lucas himself is intimately involved in it.

"Even though it was animated in a stylized CG form, George made it very clear to director Dave Filoni and myself that the animated movie was continuing the story of the live-action movies," says Gilroy.

The events in the CG Clone Wars fall somewhere in between the Expanded Universe and the G Canon of the films. And it’s up to people like Leland Chee, an employee of Lucas Licensing, to educate the many different artists working in the Star Wars universe about what has come before.

"He’s like the king continuity geek," says Gilroy. "He’s an encyclopedia of Star Wars
knowledge combining all the hundreds of comics, dozens of novels and games too. There is just so much in the Expanded Universe (everything not in the movies), it was great knowing Leland was there to prevent any grave inconsistencies from coming to pass."

Chee also had to determine how the events that play out in the CG Clone Wars
film and upcoming TV shows would coexist with the rest of the Star Wars world. The action didn’t quite fit with the films, and didn’t quite fit into the Expanded Universe.
Finally, Chee had to create another, intermediary level of canonicity:
T Canon.

Since Chee announced this new level of reality in the Star Wars universe, some fans have been disgruntled. The blog at the Canon Wars site, which tracks the doctrinal disputes of the Star Wars universe, has a fun post on the hue and cry.

According to Gilroy, the Clone Wars CG offerings will give us a fresh perspective on the characters from the prequel films. "Take
Anakin Skywalker, for example," he says. "We’re going to see another side to him in the movie — when he was a champion of the
Republic and a great Jedi hero. So he’s not the brooding, petulant kid we knew from the movies, but the best friend and comrade-in-arms of
Obi-Wan Kenobi, as well as a playful big brother-like mentor to his new padawan, Ahsoka Tano."

Lucas weighed in on the new additions to his story line. And even though the Clone Wars
CG offerings exist on their own level of reality — below the films but above the books, comics and videogames — Lucasfilm continuity geeks like Chee nit-picked inconsistencies.

"Once I wanted to use the Toydarians, a race of aliens from the movies, in a comic book story, and Leland told me it wouldn’t make sense — so I swapped them out for a new alien civilization," Gilroy says. "A guy like that is indispensable in a galaxy that has grown as large as it has."

UPDATE: Leland Chee posts in the comments below, noting that his job also entails helping to repair rifts in the space/time continuum of Star Wars. (Look for additional coverage of him and the Lucas Licensing department on wired.com next week.) Chee writes:
    • Luckily in my role in Lucas Licensing, not only do I have the opportunity to nit-pick, but I also have the opportunity to work with our authors to explain the inconsistencies to make everything cohesive.
      We did this with Boba Fett’s backstory (much of it was attributed to
      Jango). We did this with the stormtroopers being clones (not all stormtroopers are clones explaining the height differences of stormtroopers and the degredation of their markmenship). We did this with the very early EU deaths of Jan Dodonna (captured) and Hobbie
      Klivian (crashes alot). And rest assured, we’re already working it all out with The Clone Wars animated series.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Re: WIRED has a geek article on SW canon

Post by Tyralak » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:24 am

I like this article. It seems to hit it right on the head. Also I'm stealing it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:43 am

Wait, my CanonWars site was linked to in a WIRED article and I never knew?

Crap. I mean, cool, but crap. :-)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:12 am

2046 wrote:Wait, my CanonWars site was linked to in a WIRED article and I never knew?

Crap. I mean, cool, but crap. :-)
It must change from the other neutral website your antagonists like to link to, where your website was derided for its nerdness or something, no?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:35 am

What was that one "neutral" website that held up ST-vs-SW.net as an example of a more balanced give-and-take look at Star Trek versus Star Wars, and in turn derided Stardestroyer.net for not giving in even the slightest? I know those certain somebodies screamed bloody murder about it.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:What was that one "neutral" website that held up ST-vs-SW.net as an example of a more balanced give-and-take look at Star Trek versus Star Wars, and in turn derided Stardestroyer.net for not giving in even the slightest? I know those certain somebodies screamed bloody murder about it.
-Mike
Not that one. I don't know that one.

I'm having in mind another that derided RSA's website for the absurd and worrying work of a lonely nerd it was. An article likely written by a geek.
That's how I remember it.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 am

Somethingawful?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:58 am

Somethingawful did write ST-vs-SW.net that way a number of years ago. But I don't really count that since the person who brought it to their attention was a hard-core SDN Warsie, who conviently made sure not to mention SDN.
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:42 pm

*shrug* The dude who did the article did note that he felt SDN was nuts as well.
While I hardly ever post on any forum but my own, I felt it was necessary to convey this exciting message to you guys. Mr. Star decided to email me regarding my choice to profile him for today's ALoD, mostly based off the fact that he's loony. However, just to be up front and honest, I think this site is equally insane and most of you people are nutso as well. However, you don't seem to suffer the extreme paranoia and schizophrenia that Mr. Star seems to be inflicted with.
I'm not going to even bother replying to him, as posting on this forum is going at least nine steps further than I normally go in response to an ALoD. But hey, I thought you guys might get a kick out of it, so there you go." - "Lowtax"

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:37 pm

Ah, memories . . .

The SA thing is where an SDN'er called "Nephilim_X" (aka Scott something per his site) posted my site there as "dorky" when he got upset at my AT-ST arguments on SpaceBattles. This despite his own site being a half-functional Robotech RPG fanfic site, though I'll grant that arguing which is dorkier is like arguing for seats on the short bus.

The write-up by the guy who fell for it was your standard snark-fest making fun of the topic and declaring the author insane. Pretty much the same thing he did for every site; it is his schtick and part of that genre, much like Maddox and other holier-than-thou satirists. Some of his target sites were bad, some weren't . . . he seemed to specially loathe Trek folk and conservatives along with more reasonable targets like conspiracy nuts. For instance, while he linked to Saxton's site a year or two beforehand, it received no real vitriol other than a "get a life!"-esque line or two of comparative calm.

For kicks, I actually replied to him and pointed out that I was the newcomer site compared to the old-timers which were equally awful by his stated reasoning, adding that my opponents were so insane they'd launched death threats, harassment maneuvers against foes, and so on. And it was well-sourced with links where the stated things could be seen. It had been my way of pointing out that my then-newcomer site might be "something awful", but the old-guard opponents I faced were more awful still. I didn't expect him to do anything about it . . . I just wanted to point it out.

The really amusing part was that he then joined SDN to declare them equally nuts, but to post that message and distinguish me as suffering from "extreme paranoia". In other words, he didn't understand the term "paranoid". That's when you imagine folks are 'out to get you'. On the contrary, I had their declared intent of such and related action, with evidence provided. Needless to say, that added to my reasons not to consider his initial criticism (which even SDN folk noted were not necessarily specific to my site) as particularly important.

In any case, I've gotten interesting links from elsewhere and spiffy comments from time to time from more interesting and more knowledgeable folk.

A year after SA I got linked to from the larger and more popular Fark.com as simply "amusing". I was invited to be interviewed for some national cable show a few years ago . . . I think it was "Attack of the Show" and the "Gems of the Internet" but I'm not sure now. I've received positive comments from Trek and Wars production folks. I've received positive comments from numerous passers-by on the internet. I've shaped the language of versus debates. And there are a number of other things that I don't even remember.

(I suppose I ought to do a little shameless self-promotion sometime and compile a real list of my positive press for those who listen to SDN too much and thus can only remember the SA thing.)

And more than all that combined, I have the comfort and confidence of knowing that, although I have expended a great deal of time on a perilously unimportant subject and in combat with perilously unimportant people, I did so from the position of being right. This adversarial system prompted me to dig deeper on a wide assortment of topics, make connections between the topics that I might not've otherwise made, and by applying the knowledge and skills back to the real world. Even just on a psychological and philosophical level that's had wonderful impact . . . I think there are some intensely negative things you can't truly grasp until you've seen them, and SDN is a paradise for observing and studying such things.

That's the only real remaining purpose.

So while I enjoy being linked to by WIRED, it's just a side benefit. I realize in this day and age everyone's all about fame and being famouser-than-thou and whatever, but I would rather live in blissful obscurity and be content with my own mind, as opposed to selling out for recognition and kudos from the ill-informed.

Mike, I think the "neutral" site you were referring to was the Orion's Arm hard sci-fi universe take on Vs. Debates.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:44 pm

2046 wrote:Mike, I think the "neutral" site you were referring to was the Orion's Arm hard sci-fi universe take on Vs. Debates.
Alas, no it is not. This one site I'm refering to made direct reference to your Overview page as an example of your fair give and take for both the advantages and disadvantages each side has, and he in turn noted Wong's unwillingness to even admit any advantage for the Federation or Star Trek tech in general, no matter how small.
-Mike