SW Firepower debate on SB.com

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: SW Firepower debate on SB.com

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:19 pm

That's wookieepedia. They officially don't filter info, they just mindlessly paste it, so conflicting information ends on it.
Off record, there are editors who will leave some stuff out. And as they don't accept "original research", copying the ICS content verbatim gives the false claims a superior ground against those who don't know the real stuff.

Now, did they warn that Blacksun dude for his insults and unsourced claims?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:That's wookieepedia. They officially don't filter info, they just mindlessly paste it, so conflicting information ends on it.
Off record, there are editors who will leave some stuff out. And as they don't accept "original research", copying the ICS content verbatim gives the false claims a superior ground against those who don't know the real stuff.
Yea somebody pointed out a few wookiepedia claims that were obviously false, but the moron claimed that as the ics stats are the only stats for it on wookiepedia they hasve higher status ect.

As you can imagine that comment was recieved with rather less that acceptance from al but other warsie trolls.
Now, did they warn that Blacksun dude for his insults and unsourced claims?
Nope, but then its factplie so i dunno how strict they are.

Personally i find the whole "open book paste stats" type of debating worthless, sources from dialog in the movies/series, scaling from them as well make the hobby interesting.

Stat copy/pasting makes the whole thing kinda pointless...and obviously very short lol.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:47 pm

By the way, I noticed that the Blacksun from SBC and the one from the Youtube video commentary appear to be one in the same person. So here's more proof that these bozos are scanning through the webpages of the internet to impose and enforce their nonsense on others.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:55 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:By the way, I noticed that the Blacksun from SBC and the one from the Youtube video commentary appear to be one in the same person. So here's more proof that these bozos are scanning through the webpages of the internet to impose and enforce their nonsense on others.
-Mike
Yea, i have yet to see them do anything but troll SDN stuff and abuse anybody with a counter point with insults and rants about the ICS.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Kor, even though the SBC posters you mention aren't here, calling someone a moron and a clown is considered impolite.
Plain refrain from doing so in the future.
You can say you believe he his wrong in what he argues, but please do so without the insults...
Thanks.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:22 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:By the way, I noticed that the Blacksun from SBC and the one from the Youtube video commentary appear to be one in the same person. So here's more proof that these bozos are scanning through the webpages of the internet to impose and enforce their nonsense on others.
-Mike
Yea, i have yet to see them do anything but troll SDN stuff and abuse anybody with a counter point with insults and rants about the ICS.
Just encountered him on FactPile over at the "Borg vs. Zentradi" thread.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:55 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:It's weird, I don't have many memories of that website. I probably arrived late, enjoyed one year before it closed.
I didn't know 45 was over there. Was he posting under this nickname or was it his style that betrayed him?
Strek vs SWars was only open as a website and forum for about a year from November 2004 to January 2006. I don't remember the nick he went by over there, but the avatar(a Rusty Angel Gunnm/Battle Angel Alita theme), and the style of debate was nearly identical, just a wee bit more crude compared to the one he has now. However Captain Newland did not tolerate him for very long and banned him after just a few weeks. As I recall, he was the one and only real permaban during the time the forum was up, and following the SDN board invasion attempt.
-Mike

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Not to derail the topic here, but I found this wonderful quote to be important in regards to Ricery.
As explained before, plasma torpedoes function nothing like nukes. Fun fact: They produce no mushroom cloud. Why the fuck should they be calculated by how long they last? Let's go back to the books with instances that support gigaton firepower.
Located here: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 601&page=2

If some of you remember this particular debater in regards to how the 'flash' of the various weapons in Star Trek is so small that it is all kiloton weaponry... ignoring all the other effects of said impacts (like in TDiC). Just figured I'd point out a bit of dishonest and selective debating on Ricerys part.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:41 am

Again, given the mods bias over there, and their selectively overlooking the behavior anyone who is pro-Wars, it's not suprising that Ricey behaves the way he/she/it does.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 am

I don't see Ricery behave any differently then most Warsies do:
Ignore facts that don't agree with you, use one type of argument to boost SW, but ignore or change your argumenting method completely if it also boosts ST...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I don't see Ricery behave any differently then most Warsies do:
Ignore facts that don't agree with you, use one type of argument to boost SW, but ignore or change your argumenting method completely if it also boosts ST...
Don't forget the unbelievable disgusting spin doctoring.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Praeothmin wrote:I don't see Ricery behave any differently then most Warsies do:
He is simply an anti-trek troll, or he has no idea how to even begin to quantify the firepower of a series.

Either way he is no better if not worse then they make some guy who went by the name of Zinc.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:32 am

Lucky wrote:
He is simply an anti-trek troll, or he has no idea how to even begin to quantify the firepower of a series.
I've already read many of Ricery's posts (too much) and I'm yet to see a single sentence which would make me pause for a second and begin to doubt.
He's simply a very, very bad debater, and would be a perfect fuse you send to the front line to invade another planet... err, another forum, like some Prior who keeps repeating the same washed out claims from the ICS and perform various verbal liturgies of Wong and Saxton.
Either way he is no better if not worse then they make some guy who went by the name of Zinc.
Zinc is a different fish. Aside from a likely abuse of sockpuppets, he seems to have about half of his points to be really worth debating, and the rest which is hard to qualify, but which seems to be floating between errors and WTF claims, all wrapped and presented with an irritating tone.

sonofccn
Starship Captain

Post by sonofccn » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:52 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Zinc is a different fish. Aside from a likely abuse of sockpuppets, he seems to have about half of his points to be really worth debating, and the rest which is hard to qualify, but which seems to be floating between errors and WTF claims, all wrapped and presented with an irritating tone.
I've lurked at some of his debates, he's...odd. One moment he's making outlandish claims without reason or backing making me think he's simply a sockpuppet made to embarrass and belittle "trekkies" the next he brings up an interesting point that even if it isn't always "elegantly" expressed is worth discussing.

What he argued about the plasma torpedo from Balance of Terror{TOS} abilities, not his blanket assertions it was still in service, for instance I thought was fairly grounded and worthy of more than the handwaves and petty nitpicking he recieved.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:35 am

sonofccn wrote:
I've lurked at some of his debates, he's...odd. One moment he's making outlandish claims without reason or backing making me think he's simply a sockpuppet made to embarrass and belittle "trekkies" the next he brings up an interesting point that even if it isn't always "elegantly" expressed is worth discussing.
I've noticed good points are often ignored based simply on who made them.
sonofccn wrote:What he argued about the plasma torpedo from Balance of Terror{TOS} abilities, not his blanket assertions it was still in service, for instance I thought was fairly grounded and worthy of more than the handwaves and petty nitpicking he received.
So what did he/she say? I'm not asking for an exact quote.