SW Firepower debate on SB.com

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: SW Firepower debate on SB.com

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:17 am

Unlikely since plasma torpedoes were never stated to be subspace weapons, and Sulu was fairly certain the thing could have been detonated by a single shot from a phaser, which you can't do to a subspace weapon.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Unlikely since plasma torpedoes were never stated to be subspace weapons, and Sulu was fairly certain the thing could have been detonated by a single shot from a phaser, which you can't do to a subspace weapon.
-Mike
The do not need to be subspace weapons to be linked to or have the ability to track and catch a ship at high warp.

The subspace weapon in Insurection detonated and created the tear that was attracted to the warp core of the E-E but we have no idea what would have happened if the E-E had shot it before it detonated if it was a torp style weapon (and it certainly looked like a torp weapon before it detonated).

Its a very funky weapon considering its abilities and the fact we see none of the usual things required for it to be able to accelerate and track a moving ship and especially one that accelerated to a high warp factor from STL.

It seems to me that the only thing that explains all of what we see is that it is somehow connected to the enterprise either through the impulse and warp "wakes" the ship leaves behind or by being connected to the ships warp bubble somehow.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:40 am

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 03&page=27

Post 674
ANH novelisation page 178
Theoretically, no weapon could penetrate the exceptionally dense stone of the ancient temple, but Luke had seen the shattered remnants of Alderaan and knew that for those in the incredible battle station that the entire moon would present simply another abstract problem in mass-energy conversion.
This is an interesting quote. It does seem to cap ISD firer power?

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Plus it clearly mentions a mass-energy conversion effect of the DS, as if the weapon didn't just "explode" a target, more like "transformed" it into some form of energy, perhaps by "shunting" some of its mass in Hyperspace (as the DS novel states)...

So it appears that even in the ANH novel, the DS wasn't a fully DET weapon... :)

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

Oh that one's nothing new. It's hilarious how the Warsies jump through some pretty amazing logical loops to get around it.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:13 am

Oh dear looks like "p[oint45" has joined in along with his usual "imaginary friends and effects".

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 03&page=36

It seems he "sees" shield flashes, just like he saw quad turbo lasers on acclamators...

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:24 am

Dare I say, even I have felt the need to get involved on that thread, though with the anti-trek sentiments of the board (ricery), and my name relation to this board, I intend to tread carefully. Let us all see where this leads.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Trinoya wrote:Dare I say, even I have felt the need to get involved on that thread, though with the anti-trek sentiments of the board (ricery), and my name relation to this board, I intend to tread carefully. Let us all see where this leads.
And so you did.
Funny how Ricery is pretty much the only one who brings a modicum of activity in any thread that involves either SW or ST. How sad.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:51 pm

An now Trinoya has been branded an "SFJ card carrier" to try to invalidate his arguments, the usual tactic.
Should we then believe the one who said that was an "SDN card carrier", since he believed the numbers from the ICS? *rolleyes*

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:21 pm

Just what did you expect? No really...
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm

Praeothmin wrote:An now Trinoya has been branded an "SFJ card carrier" to try to invalidate his arguments, the usual tactic.
Should we then believe the one who said that was an "SDN card carrier", since he believed the numbers from the ICS? *rolleyes*

I am, looking forwards to seeing more of point45's imaginary friends, ever since i saw his images of yellow circles where he saw quad turbo lasers on acclamators i just love it when he says he "sees" stuff...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:50 pm

Point45 can't possibly be for real. No way that anyone would believe this BS for a second. He is seeing Acclamator guns where none exist. He circles spots that have nothing in them. Then when SoG calls him out on the shield flash, he refuses to post screencaps, even after he has demonstrated the ability to do so. Probably he won't because he knows it will only make him look like an even bigger liar than he already is. On top of that, he tries to claim that energy weapons work in a way that they cannot possibly, ignoring Carnot and butchers basic thermodynamics. Seriously, if a pro-Trek debator did this on SBC, how long would they last? Where the hell are damn mods?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:09 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Point45 can't possibly be for real. No way that anyone would believe this BS for a second. He is seeing Acclamator guns where none exist. He circles spots that have nothing in them. Then when SoG calls him out on the shield flash, he refuses to post screencaps, even after he has demonstrated the ability to do so. Probably he won't because he knows it will only make him look like an even bigger liar than he already is. On top of that, he tries to claim that energy weapons work in a way that they cannot possibly, ignoring Carnot and butchers basic thermodynamics. Seriously, if a pro-Trek debator did this on SBC, how long would they last? Where the hell are damn mods?
-Mike
Sir!
My sensors indicate that they are all fully mobilized and busy trying to crack the extremely complex and baffling cipher Zinc uses to fool SBC's black ices and come with multiple level-8 statiochronical identities, which I may say he uses with great cunning... in order to win what appears to be a race against IQ45 and Dickery1, in who posts the more nonsensical and asinine claims, I believe.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:00 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Point45 can't possibly be for real. No way that anyone would believe this BS for a second. He is seeing Acclamator guns where none exist. He circles spots that have nothing in them. Then when SoG calls him out on the shield flash, he refuses to post screencaps, even after he has demonstrated the ability to do so. Probably he won't because he knows it will only make him look like an even bigger liar than he already is. On top of that, he tries to claim that energy weapons work in a way that they cannot possibly, ignoring Carnot and butchers basic thermodynamics. Seriously, if a pro-Trek debator did this on SBC, how long would they last? Where the hell are damn mods?
-Mike
Sir!
My sensors indicate that they are all fully mobilized and busy trying to crack the extremely complex and baffling cipher Zinc uses to fool SBC's black ices and come with multiple level-8 statiochronical identities, which I may say he uses with great cunning... in order to win what appears to be a race against IQ45 and Dickery1, in who posts the more nonsensical and asinine claims, I believe.
I don't know, I think they really could be that uninformed, and prideful

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:57 am

But didn't Ricery just declare I'm Zinc? If he said it, it must be true. Only he can see through the clever guise that is... Zinc, master hacker, man of the world, and criminal master mind.

(ON a pure side note: I've pointed out his double standards, I'm curious to see the reaction from a pure debate perspective, since I doubt a whole lot will come from pointing out the obvious.)