My recently started blog - need suggestions

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Picard
Starship Captain

Re: My recently started blog - need suggestions

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:27 am

Actually, I added that after you mailed me. But I already calculated value of 5 400 000 PW by using UDD, so value was not really new. However, that (again) brings up issue about teraton-range torpedoes.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:53 pm

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:53 pm

http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/08/u ... yield.html

Update on "Photon torpedo yield" page.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Picard wrote:http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/08/u ... yield.html

Update on "Photon torpedo yield" page.
In beginning, we have this dialogue:
Pressman: "The Pegasus was prototype. Experimental engine, new weapon systems, in fact some of our designs were used in constructing the Enterprise. There are lot of things that Romulans would like to have their hands on"
Picard: "What are our orders?"
Pressman: "To find Pegasus. Salvage if possible, destroy if necessary."

------------------------

Pressman: "What the matter is hell with you? Destroy the Pegasus before we have taken a look at it?"
Riker: "I thought it was more important..."

------------------------

Riker: "I reccomend we destroy asteroid. It would take most of our photon torpedoes..."

------------------------
I haven't seen the episode in a while, but these quotes look like they are missing words, and have the wrong word in places.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 am

Here's the full dialog from the first quoted section:

RIKER: No wreckage was found, so Starfleet officially declared the ship destroyed.

PRESSMAN: However, all that changed three days ago. Starfleet Intelligence has an operative in Romulan High Command. He sent us a message that a Romulan warbird had located a piece of debris in the Devolin system which was positively identified as being from the Pegasus. The warbird was then ordered to locate the rest of the ship, if possible, and retrieve it.

LAFORGE: What would the Romulans want with pieces of a twelve year old starship?

PRESSMAN: The Pegasus was a prototype. Experimental engine, new weapon systems. In fact, some of our designs were used in constructing the Enterprise. There are a lot of things on board the Romulans would love to get their hands on.

PICARD: What are our orders?

PRESSMAN: To find the ship before the Romulans do. Salvage it if possible, destroy it if necessary. You command the Enterprise while I remain in command of the overall mission.

LAFORGE: We'll need metallurgical and chromographic specs on the Pegasus in order to set up the proper search parameters.

PRESSMAN: I'll make the appropriate information available to you.

PICARD: Very well. Lay in a course for the Devolin system.

RIKER: Aye, sir.

So far, it looks like he got most of the information down.

The order is what's wrong. The middle quoted section and the last part in that post ought to be swapped around for correct chronological order. So it should be like this:

RIKER: I recommend we destroy the asteroid. It would take most of our photon torpedoes, but it would preclude any possibility of the Pegasus falling into Romulan hands.

PRESSMAN: What the hell is the matter with you? Destroy the Pegasus before we've even taken a look at it?

RIKER: I thought it was more important that the Romulans

PRESSMAN: Well, you were wrong! We have a chance here to change the balance of power in this quadrant, but we can't very well do that if we destroy the Pegasus, now can we?

RIKER: No, sir.

So that's the proper order chronologically, and I added a few missing parts back in for a bit better clarity.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Thanks. I updated page.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:48 pm

Last edited by Picard on Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User1453
Candidate

Post by User1453 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:40 pm

Hey Picard, since when does the Federation have body armor? Armor tunics? What? Please explain.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Armor tunics are seen in DS9 episode "Nor the Battle to the Strong" and "Siege of AR-558". Photon grenades are heard about in TNG "Legacy" and DS9 "Homefront". Smoke grenades are seen in DS9 "The siege". We see personal forcefields in TNG "Timescape".

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:20 pm

Actually, light body armor was seen as far back as ST:TMP and ST:TVH. The heavier body armor was, as you say, first seen in DS9's "Nor the Battle to the Strong...".

As for photon grenades, we have to assume that the first showing of that is the mortar-like weapon Kirk used against the Gorn on Cestus III in "Arena". Personal forcefields, on the other hand, are not seen in "Timescape" (those are temporal protection fields, not ones for use in combat) , they are mentioned in DS9's "Homefront" and actually seen in "A Fistful of Datas" (one cobbled together by Worf from a combadge).
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:07 pm

noncanon wrote:Hey Picard, since when does the Federation have body armor? Armor tunics? What? Please explain.
Just a friendly piece of advice, my good fellow. Whatever else Picard is responisible for on SDN or any other board, keep your interactions here civil and on-topic, and no stalking.
-Mike

User1453
Candidate

Post by User1453 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:17 am

No stalking here, I simply wish to get both sides of the story. Unlike other people from SDN I have no allegiance to any given series or any given forum. I am but a fly on the wall most times, and when I voice my opinions it is only to learn from given responses.

As for the topic of this thread, I feel I was well within perimeters; I am inquiring about an element of his blog I did not feel was adequately explained. I merely wished for him to clarify his sources for 'armor tunics'. Unless I misinterpreted the meaning of 'need suggestions' I believe I was on topic, I was suggesting that he clarify a statement.

Edit: mistaken identity

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:07 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
noncanon wrote:Hey Picard, since when does the Federation have body armor? Armor tunics? What? Please explain.
Just a friendly piece of advice, my good fellow. Whatever else Picard is responisible for on SDN or any other board, keep your interactions here civil and on-topic, and no stalking.
-Mike
It is on topic, and as for if it was civil, I think it was civil enough. Maybe I have different measures of what is civil and what not due to me being on SDN until recently, but I did not feel it was uncivil.
Mike DiCenso wrote:Personal forcefields, on the other hand, are not seen in "Timescape" (those are temporal protection fields, not ones for use in combat)
Did these fields use forcefield technology or something else? I forgot.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:30 pm

What they used were emergency transporter armbands with which to project a subspace forcefield around themselves and isolate themselves in turn from the effects of the other time frame. These are not the same things as combat forcefields, just temporal ones.
-Mike