My recently started blog - need suggestions

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: My recently started blog - need suggestions

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Two thousand three hundred fourteen degrees centigrade or kelvin is certainly enough to kill a human, or seriously injure them. For comparison, iron boils at 2,862° C, 2519 °C for aluminum. Given how fast the phaser delivered the energy into the material, it was pretty energetic however you look at it.
-Mike
It's not the problem. It just doesn't fit with the scale. The kill setting is several grades higher.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:32 pm

The setting doesn't matter.
What matters is the Phaser was capable of delivering enough power to vaporize that material in a very short time...

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Two thousand three hundred fourteen degrees centigrade or kelvin is certainly enough to kill a human, or seriously injure them. For comparison, iron boils at 2,862° C, 2519 °C for aluminum. Given how fast the phaser delivered the energy into the material, it was pretty energetic however you look at it.
-Mike
It's not the problem. It just doesn't fit with the scale. The kill setting is several grades higher.
According to... what? We know there are several grades of stun setting as well as kill. It was established in ST:TUC that a point blank shot to the head with a TOS phaser set to stun will not only kill the person, but leave a rather noticable burn hole.
-Mike

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Picard wrote:
I don't remember actual episode in question, but I think that hand phaser was used to heat stones enough to glow in TNG - and that was definetly energy transfer, given that rocks continued to glow long after mr. xy stopped firing his ray gun.

In TOS: "The Enemy Within" Sulu fires a "split beam" (3 beams) phaser shot at rocks to heat them up..........8:50

In TNG: "Silicon avatar" they use phasers to heat rock in the ceiling to light the cave they are in.........7:14

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:03 pm

Praeothmin wrote:The setting doesn't matter.
What matters is the Phaser was capable of delivering enough power to vaporize that material in a very short time...
And then human skin is more durable than this alloy. :|

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Here is some interesting stuff:

STAR WARS AVAILABLE SUBLIGHT VELOCITIES.

1. COMBAT SPEED.

In “a new hope” luke says they are gonna “go in full throttle” to keep the fighters of them when they do a attack run.

The DS1 is supposed to be roughly 600km in circumferance and luke is in the trench for 3 mins before firing. So unless luke decided to do several loops around the DS in the trench a X-wing can achieve at “full throttle” at most around 12,000 kmh, not impressive really as we have unmanned aircraft that can do that right now.

Not only that but the 12,000kmh figure assumes that they start the trench run virtually directly on top of the target and do a full loop around the DS before firing. And we also have a great view out the side windows of several ships as the travel down the trench and just by watching the walls pass by we can see that the “full throttle attack” speed is very low.

2. NON COMBAT VELOCITIES .

We have several instances where we see ships launched or take off from a planet and achieve orbit very quickly but they only seem move mostly in a straight Line and are out of combat when they do. For example we see in Episode 1 when Amidala breaks through the blockade around naboo that they achieve a significant velocity from take off but even with their shields down they are not taking evasive action.

Also in ANH after Luke fires his torps into the Thermal exhaust port he pulls up and as he is now out of combat and flying in a straight Line without needing to manouver or fire we see that well within 10 seconds he is a vast distance from the DS.

It is interesting to note that we have never seen this huge acceleration done over a long period of time and it is only seen in short bursts to achieve orbit or escape a exploding or soon to explode DS ect.

CONCLUSION:

It is obvious that SW ships have very low speeds in witch they can actually fight, “combat” speeds is the best way to describe them.

However out of combat and not manouvering they do seem able to achieve a short burst of velocity, due to the “dog fight” (WW1/WW2 aircraft) style of combat we see with smaller ships and the “broadside” (Age of Sail) type combat we see from larger ships the ability to accelerate to such high velocities in seconds would be a vast benifit in escaping a fighter on your tail, or for a capital ship to move out of range of a attacking ship.

However as we never see this used to evade death and destruction during a actual fight it must be concluded that it cannot be done while in combat.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:49 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:The setting doesn't matter.
And then human skin is more durable than this alloy. :|
Proof?
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:38 am

By the way, I don't know why you were using a Type-6 TNG-era shuttlecraft specifications as part of your analysis of a TOS-era Type-F shuttlecraft. On top of that, you chose a website's non-canon information to boot. If we use ST-vs-SW.net's volumetric estimates, the Type-6 shuttle would weigh in around 29 to 113 metric tons. However given that type of shuttle is mostly hollow on the inside, the mass is likely going to be somewhat lower than that. for a TOS Type-F, which is smaller than the Type-6.

Another thing on your analysis of phaser power, you forgot to mention the use of phaser pistols by a rogue starship captain along with 3 or four of his local henchmen to kill thousands of natives on planet Omega IV in the TOS episode "The Omega Glory".
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:08 pm

Thanks. I'll update page.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:12 pm

"E-D phasers drilled a 50m wide hole roughly 3000km deep the beam would have the equivalent value in DET terms of:-

Granite = 190 gigatons or 10 gigatons per second as the beam took roughly 19 seconds to reach the depth

Nickel-Iron = 340 gigatons or 18 gigatons per second for the 19 seconds."

I found this on other thread. Can anyone inform me from which episode is that?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:25 pm

Picard wrote:"E-D phasers drilled a 50m wide hole roughly 3000km deep the beam would have the equivalent value in DET terms of:-

Granite = 190 gigatons or 10 gigatons per second as the beam took roughly 19 seconds to reach the depth

"Inheritance" although the hole was likely wider the calculator i used only went up to a 50m hole calculation.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:00 pm

Just a quick reminder, "Inheritance" is not the only episode where the phasers are used to drill through rock. TNG's "Legacy" and "A Matter of Time" all have phaser drilling, though they are not as impressive as the "Inheritance" example.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:14 pm

Picard wrote:Thanks. I'll update page.
Another suggestion; don't merely go around in your blog cutting and pasting other people's work from this or other threads, no matter how good it is. The best way is to not only give other people credit where possible, but to write it in your own way, and it is best to "trust, but verify". Check back on the sources given by other people to make sure they got it right, or are being honest. If you read a lot of Mike Wong's work, you'll note there is a lot of "<person X> reports" since Wong was too lazy to go through actual Trek episodes (especially anything TNG related, which he hates), and his ulterior motive was to make Trek look as bad as possible, so he chose to go with his fellow Warsies' most negative descriptions of it's firepower and technology, even when they were outright false or just plain wrong.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:17 pm

Picard wrote:"E-D phasers drilled a 50m wide hole roughly 3000km deep the beam would have the equivalent value in DET terms of:-

Would be fine and all if they had use a raw beam weapon.
"Legacy" tells another story.
Not to say that with such firepower they wouldn't need to worry about torpedoes failing to burst certain asteroids across the entire show's life.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:48 pm

How you got that? I tried my own calculations - as I always do - and best I got is several times lower.

P.S. Seems I mistaken something with my calculations. I'll check that.