My recently started blog - need suggestions

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: My recently started blog - need suggestions

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Oh, look.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:31 pm

So Wong is wrong... again.

Anyway...
http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/08/f ... -core.html

Small update at about half of page.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:36 pm

Your description of the power gained for the Hathaway in "Peak Performance" is a bit off. Here is the relavent dialog:

RIKER: The simulation begins in one hour.

LAFORGE: You'll have warp drive, Captain, though it may not be what you expected.

RIKER: I think that deserves some kind of explanation.

LAFORGE: We'll have warp one for about

WESLEY: Just under two seconds.

RIKER: That's not long enough for an escape, but used as a surprise it may give a strategic advantage.

LAFORGE: Sir, all of this is theoretical.

So using the few kilograms of antimatter from Wesley's experiment, combined with the bits of dilithium they scrounged up to regulate the reaction, they could achive warp one for a couple of seconds. This is eventually demonstrated when Riker fakes the Hathaway's destruction to save the E-D from maurading Ferengi. So that's a fair amount of power used, hundreds of thousands of terawatts, to go to warp one, and is still in keeping with the power output of "True Q", especially given the much smaller size of the Hathaway compared to the E-D.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:31 pm

I'm not quite sure about that episode, were they using warp core just to produce power to engage warp drive, or it was required to power up ship alltogether. It might be possible that fusion reactors were used for remaining power needs, seeing how it was stripped off of its entire antimatter supply.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:19 pm

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Can anyone tell me what is rate of fire of ISD's turbolasers (light, medium, heavy)?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:28 am

Picard wrote:Can anyone tell me what is rate of fire of ISD's turbolasers (light, medium, heavy)?
I seem to recall it being something like one shot every second or two, but I've never personal checked.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:48 pm

Here:
http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/10/e ... -zero.html

Base Delta Zero and General Order 24 analyzed.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:59 am

Picard wrote:Here:
http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/10/e ... -zero.html

Base Delta Zero and General Order 24 analyzed.
You may want someone to look over your articles to make sure they a written in an easy to understand manner?
With Wong's calculator, first value gives us 120 megatons and second 8.1 gigatons per torpedo - both are low end values, but are balanced out by not taking phasers into account.
The sentence I quoted did not make sense to me.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:44 pm

It is this part:
Combined area of largest metropolises on Earth is 134 141 km^2. E-D has 250 photon torpedoes, and due to only taking largest cities as norm, I will ignore phasers. That gives 357 square kilometers per torpedo, or 250 circles with radius of 13 kilometers.
Area of urban areas on Earth is 1.5% of land mass area or 2 234 100 square kilometers - or 8 936 km^2 per torpedo - which is area of circle 53.3 kilometers in diameter (it should be radius, not diameter)..

With Wong's calculator, first value gives us 120 megatons and second 8.1 gigatons per torpedo - both are low end values, but are balanced out by not taking phasers into account. However, first value takes only few largest metropolises on Earth, and is low-end value. Considering that quote is from 23rd century, and that Enterprise-D probably carries much larger number of torpedoes than Constitution class (or much more powerful torpedoes) due to Galaxy class being 8 times larger in volume, second value might also be conservative - however, it is balanced out by fact that Eminiar 7 might have smaller urban population than modern-day Earth. Following screenshot, however, suggests over 11 000 000 square kilometers of urbanized area - or 250 circles each with radius of 118 kilometers, or 90 gigatons per torpedo, assuming all damage is done by torpedoes - I doubt more than 50-75% of damage will be done that way.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:43 am

Picard wrote:It is this part:
Combined area of largest metropolises on Earth is 134 141 km^2. E-D has 250 photon torpedoes, and due to only taking largest cities as norm, I will ignore phasers. That gives 357 square kilometers per torpedo, or 250 circles with radius of 13 kilometers.
Area of urban areas on Earth is 1.5% of land mass area or 2 234 100 square kilometers - or 8 936 km^2 per torpedo - which is area of circle 53.3 kilometers in diameter (it should be radius, not diameter)..

With Wong's calculator, first value gives us 120 megatons and second 8.1 gigatons per torpedo - both are low end values, but are balanced out by not taking phasers into account. However, first value takes only few largest metropolises on Earth, and is low-end value. Considering that quote is from 23rd century, and that Enterprise-D probably carries much larger number of torpedoes than Constitution class (or much more powerful torpedoes) due to Galaxy class being 8 times larger in volume, second value might also be conservative - however, it is balanced out by fact that Eminiar 7 might have smaller urban population than modern-day Earth. Following screenshot, however, suggests over 11 000 000 square kilometers of urbanized area - or 250 circles each with radius of 118 kilometers, or 90 gigatons per torpedo, assuming all damage is done by torpedoes - I doubt more than 50-75% of damage will be done that way.
My point is you are missing a word, and you don't seem to realize it.
With Wong's calculator, first value gives us 120 megatons and the second 8.1 gigatons per torpedo - both are low end values, but are balanced out by not taking phasers into account.
I would suggest you have someone look over your articles before you post them. I realize how hard it is to proof read your own work.

Following screenshot, however, suggests over 11 000 000 square kilometers of urban area - or 250 circles each with radius of 118 kilometers, or 90 gigatons per torpedo, assuming all damage is done by torpedoes - I doubt more than 50-75% of damage will be done that way.
I normally don't care about grammar much, but I would suggest you have someone look over your articles before you post them. I realize how hard it is to proof read your own work.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:16 am

I might ask my professor of English... anyway, thanks.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:40 pm

Picard wrote:12.75 billion GW is 1.275 x 10e19 joules per second, which translates into 141.86 kilograms of fuel annihilated. Ultra-dense deuterium has density of 140 kilograms per cubic centimeter. Coincidence? I don't think so.
DAMN i mailed you about that little coincidence i did not realise you already had it.

However you start using the term "superdeuterium" then go to "super-dense deuterium" and then use "Ultra-dense deuterium" at the bottom.

You may wanna use "Ultra-dense deuterium" and "Ultra-dense Anti-deuterium" for the entire post as they are the correct terms and it will be less confusing and would solve both storage and usage issues.