My recently started blog - need suggestions

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: My recently started blog - need suggestions

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Picard, you are misunderstanding, punching holes in the crust to create massive volcano-like eruptions is not the same thing as a super-volcano. And that was just the first bombardment, the other bombardments would keep punching more holes until the crust was removed and the mantle exposed, and then the subsequent bombardment volleys would be firing on the molten rock until that was gone, either vaporized or pulverized until the outer core was exposed.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:50 am

So, unless I misunderstood something again, you say that they would remove crust and mantle with DEW (fact that mantle is melted might explain why they needed 1/5th of that time to destroy crust). But that again points to low-petaton yield weapons at least.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 am

Picard wrote:So, unless I misunderstood something again, you say that they would remove crust and mantle with DEW (fact that mantle is melted might explain why they needed 1/5th of that time to destroy crust). But that again points to low-petaton yield weapons at least.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantle_(geology)

The Earth's mantle at least is believed to be solid in spite of being really hot.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:52 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Picard, you are misunderstanding, punching holes in the crust to create massive volcano-like eruptions is not the same thing as a super-volcano. And that was just the first bombardment, the other bombardments would keep punching more holes until the crust was removed and the mantle exposed, and then the subsequent bombardment volleys would be firing on the molten rock until that was gone, either vaporized or pulverized until the outer core was exposed.
-Mike
Would there be an observable difference between just removing large patches of crust, and a Super-Volcano? In both cases there would be a sudden release of energy from within the planet.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:27 pm

"The Earth's mantle at least is believed to be solid in spite of being really hot."

Yup, it is solid. I'm not quite sure if it is beacouse it has not reached melting point or due to pressure.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:32 pm

The Earth's mantle is divided up into the outer and inner layers. One is more solid than the other (the mantle is described as solid/plastic), but is still hot. Enourmous lithostatic pressure keeps the melting temperature high, but both layers are plastic enough that convection of the mantle layers move the plates of the crust.
-Mike

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Maybe, but when we talk about DEW, temperature is what matters. If mantle is solid only due to pressure from crust, it will liquify once crust is removed. Also, if it is very near melting point, you need to pump less energy into it to melt it. Plus, if mantle is solid only due to pressure, it will liquify once you punch hole throught crust and create volcano.

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:23 pm

This is my Imperial Shields page. Any objections?

http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/09/i ... ields.html

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

I got another update on Federation warp core page:

http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/08/f ... -core.html

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Picard wrote:This is my Imperial Shields page. Any objections?

http://picard578.blogspot.com/2010/09/i ... ields.html

Have you checked Mike Wong's 30 minute claim out? I'll give you a hint. It's not 30 minutes! The time that the ISDs and Mon Calamari cruisers's total engagment time is less than 30 minutes, and before the heavy TL bolt takes out that one ISD, there is an ISD that loses a bridge shield globe long before that. I've now given you where and what to look for, the rest I leave up to you.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Picard wrote:I got another update on Federation warp core page:

You may wish to look at my calculations for how much energy and antimatter it takes to destroy the stardrive section of a Galaxy class starship here in the "Phaser/warp power" thread.
-Mike

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:59 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Picard wrote:I got another update on Federation warp core page:

You may wish to look at my calculations for how much energy and antimatter it takes to destroy the stardrive section of a Galaxy class starship here in the "Phaser/warp power" thread.
-Mike
Am I misreading that calculation, or are you assuming a Galaxy class vessel is made of solid iron to get a lower then low end number?

I'm still waiting on my new glasses.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 am

Not solid iron, just plates and structural members made of elemental iron.
-Mike