How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Oh yes, it's totally C stuff, just as the ICS.
You know that once the myth that the ICS is a notch above all other sources is put back to its rightful place, it becomes much easier to allow all other EU sources to have a world on what goes on.
Tyr, have you checked this thread? Its list hasn't been updated to reflect the fresher info, but you can see that there's already a lot of stuff.

The only high ends I can think of from the top of my head are:
- the gravitational differential close to a black hole that reaps apart an ISD, with a couple gees on one side and million gees on the other, closer to the EH, which at first hand suggests that such ships can cope with tremendous accelerations and fly very close to black holes. I haven't looked in details into this one though. The story could be very different.
- two or three ISDs harmlessly crashing on the shields of the Executor as they comes out of hyperspace. You see like two or three yellow trails which supposedly testify of the ships' speed. The point of contention is about what was the true speed and mass of such ships when exiting hyperspace.
- an ISD's turbolasers having recoil system capable of withstanding explosions in the giga-tonnage range (I think it's in the book "Slave-I").

Picard
Starship Captain

Post by Picard » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:56 pm

The Dude wrote: Mr. O was right, challenge Wong via email and shut your trap.
I sent e-mail or two to Wong regarding load of mistakes on his site. No answer.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Picard wrote:
The Dude wrote: Mr. O was right, challenge Wong via email and shut your trap.
I sent e-mail or two to Wong regarding load of mistakes on his site. No answer.
Not surprising. I'd suggest not insisting too much either. It could be better for the sake of the SDN boards and its residents.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Oh yes, it's totally C stuff, just as the ICS.
You know that once the myth that the ICS is a notch above all other sources is put back to its rightful place, it becomes much easier to allow all other EU sources to have a world on what goes on.
Tyr, have you checked this thread? Its list hasn't been updated to reflect the fresher info, but you can see that there's already a lot of stuff.

The only high ends I can think of from the top of my head are:
- the gravitational differential close to a black hole that reaps apart an ISD, with a couple gees on one side and million gees on the other, closer to the EH, which at first hand suggests that such ships can cope with tremendous accelerations and fly very close to black holes. I haven't looked in details into this one though. The story could be very different.
- two or three ISDs harmlessly crashing on the shields of the Executor as they comes out of hyperspace. You see like two or three yellow trails which supposedly testify of the ships' speed. The point of contention is about what was the true speed and mass of such ships when exiting hyperspace.
- an ISD's turbolasers having recoil system capable of withstanding explosions in the giga-tonnage range (I think it's in the book "Slave-I").

By the way, we were looking for the rest of that comic with the infamous "Ka-Chow" scene. I was right, it does require several shots from the TLs to make any kind of a fireball on the surface of the planet as seen here, which in turn falls well in line with the firepower demonstrated in "Tyrant's Nest" and "Darksaber" as described here.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
By the way, we were looking for the rest of that comic with the infamous "Ka-Chow" scene. I was right, it does require several shots from the TLs to make any kind of a fireball on the surface of the planet as seen here, which in turn falls well in line with the firepower demonstrated in "Tyrant's Nest" and "Darksaber" as described here.
-Mike
It seems that none of the pictures are related to each other. The ka-chow for example seems to be completely detached of the others.
All others seem to indicate tactical scale bombardment: enough to destroy structures without being completely bombastic about it.
The problem with the picture showing the bombardment of Per Lupelo is the size of the fireballs seen from space, stacked against those seen from close to the city.
Doesn't really add up. That said I won't hold one erroneous source in a higher esteem as to neglect the others.
Thus far the ka-chow one remains unsolved.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:40 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:
-Mike
It seems that none of the pictures are related to each other. The ka-chow for example seems to be completely detached of the others.
All others seem to indicate tactical scale bombardment: enough to destroy structures without being completely bombastic about it.
The problem with the picture showing the bombardment of Per Lupelo is the size of the fireballs seen from space, stacked against those seen from close to the city.
Doesn't really add up. That said I won't hold one erroneous source in a higher esteem as to neglect the others.
I would trust you you are not getting the various comics confused with one another. The comic of the commandos and the ISD going ka-chow are clearly from one and the same story as indicated by the story flow and the art style.
There is no confusion here, the ISD is requiring multiple firings to make the fireball, which is probably not as large as we think it is due to the resolution. In fact, given the sequence of the scene in question, it is many multiple fireballs.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:16 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:
-Mike
I would trust you you are not getting the various comics confused with one another. The comic of the commandos and the ISD going ka-chow are clearly from one and the same story as indicated by the story flow and the art style.
There is no confusion here, the ISD is requiring multiple firings to make the fireball, which is probably not as large as we think it is due to the resolution. In fact, given the sequence of the scene in question, it is many multiple fireballs.
-Mike
There is simply no such link. The art style can be very similar these days, all comics seem to be drawn by the same dude. I don't even see the clear proof that there's a continuation between the ka-chow scene and the bombardment that hits the Rebels.
There's no proof that multiple shots were needed to make that fireball either.
Btw, if what you say is true, there would be a problem: small explosions at the surface wouldn't suddenly look like nuclear levels of devastation when seen from space. We'd be dealing with the same mistake than for the demise of Per Lupelo. There would not even be any point to make as it would be a contradiction.
I really wish to know which comics these scans came from.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:31 pm

The simplest way to resolve it, would be for you to just PM Watchdog, and find out. And no, you are very wrong about "the same dude" drawing everything idea. Some artists will be more prominent than others in the industry, or within a particular franchise, but even the best artists have their limitations, and they can only produce so many comics at a time. So PM Watchdog and get your answers, or concede the point.
-Mike