How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:35 am

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:Maybe he is updating his site and is keeping it on the QT so he can make a big deal about it when he unviels it.

After all with the damage control he has do to regarding T canon ect its gonna takle a long while to create another house of cards.
s
Not really. The original SDN website articles (and Saxton's SWTC, and the entire body of Saxtonite fanalysis) were always about cherry-picking high ends and ignoring a large body of contradictory information. (Conversely, with Star Trek, cherry-picking low ends and ignoring a large body of contradictory evidence.)

The bigger the body of "canon" material is, the easier it is to find high-end examples to abuse. Treating the whole canon systematically becomes very difficult. It's the approach I try to take, but it would be impossible for any one individual to systematically examine the expanded universes of Star Wars or Star Trek. There's simply too much published under the label to systematically examine it all. At best, we can try for a broad sample of examples.

As Mr. Oragahn showed here, it's quite possible to pull a lot of information out of an old source that had previously been totally ignored by VS debaters. There are probably a hundred other similarly ignored sources lying around.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:56 am

That Black Ice supplement is really full of details, indeed. You get, among other things :

- an idea on the maximum firepower of a torpedo sphere which aims at destroying a Rebel base buried under the ice. It will take several hours to slag the base. ICS numbers scream in agony.
- a definitive high grade fuel density figure.
- a fuel behaviour that perfectly matches the varying observations made by JMS and RSA, which is all the more evidence for the odd diesel fusion engines.
- from there, a very, very good idea of the power requirement of an entire Imperial battle fleet, and matches admirably well reasonable power production and even clear cut figures.
- a possible indication that the Death Star handles like a beached whale and that it's clearly more of a space station than a starship, which is exactly mirrored by the D20 RPG books in their descriptions of ships based on scale. However, it's also more of a low end, since a high end deceleration estimate made by RSA, based on TESB, put an ISD's braking capacity at something like 180g or so, which is huge, and the 7.7g figure I got can't really fit so well with that: ISDs may be shorter, but they're only lacking a couple km in length, yet their thrusters are quite smaller than those of the FSCVs. The Executor is also capable of keeping pace with ISDs, which would be near impossible with a couple gees of acceleration only.

It's absolutely true that there are just too many sources to look for, but we can still achieve a good collection of quotes beyond the limited collection available at SDN.

I'd point out that Saxton still made the effort to update his website to fit with the official material he wrote or helped to write, at least.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:- an idea on the maximum firepower of a torpedo sphere which aims at destroying a Rebel base buried under the ice. It will take several hours to slag the base. ICS numbers scream in agony.
Well, this an interesting factoid. What was the depth of ice that the torpedo sphere had to blast through in order to reach the Rebel base?
-Mike

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:21 pm

Anyways, I am tired of this shit. Mr. Wong is a rude and aggresive person, while the people at Starfleet Jedi are more respectful and use a lot of solid evidence. Wong tries to imitate and insult people who do not agree with him or present counter-evidence against him. His Imperial Smakedowns are little more then a whole bunch of curse words, insults, trolling, and flaming.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 am

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Heres an idea; ignore it or get over it. You were banned, you don't have to put up with it anymore. Not that you did in the first place, seeing as you never actually encountered him on the board.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:34 am

I don't get Youngla sometimes, one moment he's praising Wong up side and down, while yelling at the rest of us here that we deserve the Imperial Smackdown for choosing a Pro-Trek standpoint, then the next moment, he's denouncing the guy, like he is here.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:49 am

I still think he's a bot, to be honest.

Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Post by Youngla0450 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:28 am

I am NOT a bot, Mr. "The Dude". If I where, all I would be doing is correcting posts and increasing efficency on the site. I am NOT a bot.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:15 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:- an idea on the maximum firepower of a torpedo sphere which aims at destroying a Rebel base buried under the ice. It will take several hours to slag the base. ICS numbers scream in agony.
Well, this an interesting factoid. What was the depth of ice that the torpedo sphere had to blast through in order to reach the Rebel base?
-Mike
It is not specified, but going through kilometers of ice isn't really hard with megaton level directed energy weapons. When you know that the torpedo sphere here was of the larger kind (there are two sizes apparently), and could focus so much firepower on a single point as such as to be able to pierce a planetary shield for example, if the ICS was correct, a torpedo sphere would have a firepower so vast that it would certainly not need hours to destroy the Rebel base.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:18 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I don't get Youngla sometimes, one moment he's praising Wong up side and down, while yelling at the rest of us here that we deserve the Imperial Smackdown for choosing a Pro-Trek standpoint,...
And while almost parroting Wong's fan fictions for his own "work"...
... then the next moment, he's denouncing the guy, like he is here.
... while saying we're all nice and educated and all that.
It reeks of severe schizophrenia.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:52 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:It is not specified, but going through kilometers of ice isn't really hard with megaton level directed energy weapons. When you know that the torpedo sphere here was of the larger kind (there are two sizes apparently), and could focus so much firepower on a single point as such as to be able to pierce a planetary shield for example, if the ICS was correct, a torpedo sphere would have a firepower so vast that it would certainly not need hours to destroy the Rebel base.
And yet we are told in "X-Wing: Isard's Revenge" on page 7 that "terajoules of coherent light" fired by mere frigates are enough to seriously threaten a Golan station. One would have to wonder if this is not another serious contradiction, or if the ice really wasn't that thick after all.
-Mike

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:59 am

Youngla0450 wrote:I am NOT a bot, Mr. "The Dude". If I where, all I would be doing is correcting posts and increasing efficency on the site. I am NOT a bot.
I think he's dropping a hint about the nature of your repetitive behavior.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:22 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:It is not specified, but going through kilometers of ice isn't really hard with megaton level directed energy weapons. When you know that the torpedo sphere here was of the larger kind (there are two sizes apparently), and could focus so much firepower on a single point as such as to be able to pierce a planetary shield for example, if the ICS was correct, a torpedo sphere would have a firepower so vast that it would certainly not need hours to destroy the Rebel base.
And yet we are told in "X-Wing: Isard's Revenge" on page 7 that "terajoules of coherent light" fired by mere frigates are enough to seriously threaten a Golan station. One would have to wonder if this is not another serious contradiction, or if the ice really wasn't that thick after all.
-Mike
It actually works well. What the Black Ice supplement proves is that once again, ICS is bullshit. Now, the fact that a very large and essentially what's a full array of torps and energy cannons mounted on a power core, can unleash more energy than frigates, makes sense. It isn't very surprising. It doesn't mean it goes for gigatons.
Isard's Revenge doesn't preclude ISDs from firing high KT/low MT at low ROFs, and high KT at higher rates than one shot every thirty seconds: the ISD firing terajoules had lost its main weapons on one side due to concentrated firing.
Besides, the Golan station was formerly weakened by X-wing raids from Wedge's squadron; they had simultaneously fired a few volleys of ACS torpedoes.
The picture of the ISD firing at a planet shows that it can certainly bring megaton firepower to a HTL, but it's possible that it was a charged shot.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 pm

This is some excellent info, Mr. Oragahn. How does this particular reference source fit in the SW canon? Is it the same level as the ICS?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:40 pm

"Black Ice" is an adventure supplement book for the SW RPG , so like the novels, comic books and the ICS, it's all C-level EU material.
-Mike