How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Youngla0450
Bridge Officer

Re: How long will it take for Wong to update his site

Post by Youngla0450 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:51 pm

I have no intentions of debating Mr. Wong. I am just pointing out some of his mistakes. You prusumed much.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 pm

Yeah but we already knew all that. Your about 10 years late to the party.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:14 pm

Try 13 years. He's been full of it from the start.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:19 pm

*shrug* I was busy in the Army when it all started. I only got into it around '04.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:21 pm

Tyralak wrote:Try 13 years. He's been full of it from the start.
We can guess which letters of his keyboards used to get worn off.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:59 am

Going to a website forum (even your own) and slapping the keyboard for a few minutes is nothing compared to composing a fully formed webpage.

I mean, back in the day I would post webpages that were little more than cut-and-pasted posts of mine to ASVS (the original, mind you) with a few minutes spent removing the particulars of the context (e.g. the specific debate from which the post came) and adding HTML goodness. I might've even spent some time on pictures, but then again maybe not.

Now, though, I hate the idea of doing that. This, of course, is why I have a variety of unfinished pages, unfinished edits of pages, and other unpublished materials. That part makes it a real pisser, but when I do bust out with a page the idea is that it'll rock.

Of course, short pages have some merits, too . . . there are a lot of "tl;dr" people out there. But of course, my site's not really meant for them . . .

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:45 am

Well, I always liked your site. It has a lot of very good information.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:19 am

Thanks. And sorry, 'cause I started yapping and forgot my point. The point I was trying to make is that you can't fault the guy too hard for not digging back into his Kompozer-coded HTML mess, 'cause that's a whole 'nother animal than just hitting the "Reply" button when surfing.

(That's part of the reason I've been trying to go with a CMS, so it actually would take a similar amount of effort, but the backend work to convert existing pages over to that is probably worse than firing up Kompozer for an update to each and every page would've been to begin with.)

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:16 am

Given the talk in this thread of Wong vanishing from SDN, I went to look and there's a note from Dalton reading about how SDN "went onto a backup server since the internet connection to the main was severed."

That's rather interesting, since last I heard the "internet connection to the main" server would've been going to Wong's house.

EDIT: The mention of that connection reminded me of another forum I'd seen the name "Darth Wong" on before where that connection had been mentioned (as related in another thread), and it seems he's still been active there since disappearing from SDN. So we do at least know he's alive and well. Posts also mention the wife, so that's all good.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say there's either medical stuff or else something on the job front going on that he does not wish to reveal. He is a prideful fellow, after all, but in any case on a purely humanitarian level I would think we all wish him well.

Alternately, he just doesn't care anymore, in which case "whatever".

((In any case, I'm sure this exercise of and reporting of the results of my idle curiosity as to the three month disappearance from SDN will be misconstrued as hateful, stalkerish, or some combination of those. But to such kids I would say "really, if I have to be alerted of Wong's disappearance from SFJ, just how much of your stalking nonsense can you really believe?"

Sadly, of course, I know the answer is "all of it". ))

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:40 am

There really is no reason for him to be hosting it out of his house. Problems like this are exactly why. There are boards twice his size and bigger hosted just fine off of remote servers. satelliteguys.us for one. Also, (and no offense intended to JMS) with the size board he has, he's an idiot to still be using PHPbb. He should be using software designed for large scale sites. IPB (which I run, and SyFy Channel Forums runs) or vBulliten. PHPbb is horribly wasteful with system resources especially on large sites.

Dalton tells me Wong has just been busy and isn't shutting it down or transferring it to someone else. However, he could be sworn to secrecy too. I agree that I hope nothing is seriously wrong with the man. I don't wish him ill on a personal level. His Facebook page doesn't seem to indicate any problems. He just says he's been busy. But too busy to poke his head in for a few minutes? Even from his mobile device? Seems a bit strange.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:21 pm

Control Tyralak. It's probably a personal control issue with him. If Wong has the site hosted on a remote server or shared among several others, then it leaves the possbility, however remote, that he might lose SDN in a coup d'état to someone else. This way he can literally pull the plug on the whole thing and there's little anyone else can do about it. As for the PHPbb issue, I really don't know, it might have soemthing to do with the hardware he's using. He may not be able to upgrade to vBulliten or IPB with his current system.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:12 pm

Or Mike Wong simply, at the beginning, felt it was easier and simpler for him to host it, and never decided to upgrade the format...
Not everything has to do with "control"...

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:06 pm

Maybe he just felt like designing and building his own server, he is an engineer after all. Hell, I'd like to do the same, if I had anything worth hosting.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:28 pm

The Dude wrote:Maybe he just felt like designing and building his own server, he is an engineer after all. Hell, I'd like to do the same, if I had anything worth hosting.
You try hosting fresh beers, for starters.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:21 am

While I agree that Wong's not my favorite person and his current vanishing is strange, it doesn't really bother me. Why would it? He's been out of the debating ring for years. He hasn't updated his site in six years (although really, it's a pain in the ass from what 2046 says) and he's really just a guy who runs a community with a Star Wars/40k fetish.

In short; who cares?