More Space Battles

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Trinoya
Security Officer

More Space Battles

Post by Trinoya » Sat May 29, 2010 5:06 am

Hey all, I try not to go over to space battles too much but boredom got the better of me. A STvSW thread got started here...

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=167297

I'm three posts in and I just had to share this gem with you all.. this is the mentality that I would call.. you know.. rabid.
Today, 4:39pm #3
kyle903
Chaotic Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc View Post
If you mean the feds defeat the imperial soldiers than yes easily.

As to the ship itself as no Wars ship has ever been shown using there "gigaton yield weapons" in atmosphere I will also say yes.
Are you actually fucking stating that they can defeat Imperial Soldiers?

REALLY? Are you fucking kidding me? This has to be a joke. You have to be trolling no one is this stupid in so many threads.

The GE also regularly uses ground bombardment tactics. ST also couldn't touch the SD unless they pull some hurr technobabble crap.

Okay, I know useless topic, but I thought it would be cute to share a good example of rabid fanboyness. ^_^

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Re: More Space Battles

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat May 29, 2010 9:11 am

You do seem to be on the recieving end of the usual foul language ad hom attacks and posting styles that rely totally on the acceptance that SW will win no matter what and that everything ST will not work against SW tech while everything SW will obviously work against ST tech.

My favorite it the AT-AT comment
"I'd like to see Phasers take down an AT-AT."
......lol.

Why waste phaser energy when you can just string a rope accross its path and trip it up to destroy it?.......
Regardless TIE Fighters can accelerate at 6000G, to hit it the missile would have to be so close the TIE couldn't react and to do that you have to be so close the warhead wouldn't even arm.
6000G is that all?.

Missiles and torps in trek can accelerate instantly to warp speeds and track and hit a target travelling at those speeds..

Here is a good image of how good storm trooper armour is i got it off http://www.st-v-sw.net, he has a great section on it here http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtrooparmor.html:-

Busted after a fall:-

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Wars/Epis ... -crack.jpg

Arrow fired by a small crappy looking bow held by a small teddy bear...lol.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/Wars/Spec ... ow1-21.jpg

You know your likely gonna get banned or suspended if you post against SW no matter how much proof you provide and that no matter how much bull and abuse the warsies post at the most a minor (possibly sock puppet) "token warsie" will get a short ban but the main lot will get nothing?.
When Stormies are wearing armor of unique properties and phasers being a chain-reaction weapon have shown a problem with unique materials. Yes, I do believe they would have trouble against such an outside factor.
A comment like this that is totally a opinion and not unsupported by science ect would get you banned or suspended if you tried it in reverse about a SW weapon vs a ST armour.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 29, 2010 5:14 pm

You can check other threads, like the ones with ST pitted against WH40K, and you'll see that same Zinc dude pissing people off. He is looking like a trolling sock puppet so I wouldn't give attention much.
And it's mackon's second silly versus under a few days. Every time with an absurd claim like can a fleet of 47 UFP take care of an IoM destroyer, or then can all of the Earth take care of a crashed ISD and a mere 50,000 men.
His threads are giant flame baits.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat May 29, 2010 8:01 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:You can check other threads, like the ones with ST pitted against WH40K, and you'll see that same Zinc dude pissing people off. He is looking like a trolling sock puppet so I wouldn't give attention much.
What's the money on Zinc getting banned? This may test the conjecture Mith and I were talking about in the last SB thread.
And it's mackon's second silly versus under a few days. Every time with an absurd claim like can a fleet of 47 UFP take care of an IoM destroyer, or then can all of the Earth take care of a crashed ISD and a mere 50,000 men.
Well, it's not absurd with respect to the variations in position. SDN regularly clearly think that Trek is underpowered and incompetent and that SW and WH40k are super strong. Here we would tend to disagree with their comparison. Since both SFJ and SDN positions are more or less represented represented on SB, there's argument from both sides of the fence. If you have serious disagreement as to the result, isn't it a worthwhile thread to start?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 29, 2010 9:46 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:And it's mackon's second silly versus under a few days. Every time with an absurd claim like can a fleet of 47 UFP take care of an IoM destroyer, or then can all of the Earth take care of a crashed ISD and a mere 50,000 men.
Well, it's not absurd with respect to the variations in position. SDN regularly clearly think that Trek is underpowered and incompetent and that SW and WH40k are super strong. Here we would tend to disagree with their comparison. Since both SFJ and SDN positions are more or less represented represented on SB, there's argument from both sides of the fence. If you have serious disagreement as to the result, isn't it a worthwhile thread to start?
Well I guess so, since from this point of view. But my BS meter peaked because WH40K and SW are the two sides which arguing against, as in, arguing against the high figures, has been rewarded by bans without warning and some other harsh decisions.
The point is that the discussion is silly because in both cases, either you admit that WH40K and SW have a huge advantage in combat capabilities and therefore the threads end before they even started: 47 UFP ships of various types against a destroyer boasting teraton-guns, and the whole Earth of early UFP against an ISD and its petatons of shields and firepower (if the goal is sheer destruction the ISD can tone its weapons down to some teratons and shoot at the very planet it's stuck onto, so if the UFP wants to survive they can only surrender).
Then, if you ignore the wank, the scenarii are equally stupid, with the UFP fleet torching the IoM Cobra-class destroyer, and with the UFP owning the ISD and its crew.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun May 30, 2010 9:19 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:And it's mackon's second silly versus under a few days. Every time with an absurd claim like can a fleet of 47 UFP take care of an IoM destroyer, or then can all of the Earth take care of a crashed ISD and a mere 50,000 men.
Well I guess so, since from this point of view. But my BS meter peaked because WH40K and SW are the two sides which arguing against, as in, arguing against the high figures, has been rewarded by bans without warning and some other harsh decisions.
The point is that the discussion is silly because in both cases, either you admit that WH40K and SW have a huge advantage in combat capabilities and therefore the threads end before they even started: 47 UFP ships of various types against a destroyer boasting teraton-guns, and the whole Earth of early UFP against an ISD and its petatons of shields and firepower (if the goal is sheer destruction the ISD can tone its weapons down to some teratons and shoot at the very planet it's stuck onto, so if the UFP wants to survive they can only surrender).
Then, if you ignore the wank, the scenarii are equally stupid, with the UFP fleet torching the IoM Cobra-class destroyer, and with the UFP owning the ISD and its crew.

From what i have seen every topic containing ST or SW ends up with arguments regarding the firepower and canon ect. It takes a very clever and well written question to stear a VS debate or even a tech debate into a position where warsies cannot start raving about their wanked up figures and if they are canon.

Trinoya
Security Officer

Post by Trinoya » Mon May 31, 2010 7:32 am

You do seem to be on the recieving end

Just to clarify, I didn't post in the thread at all.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 31, 2010 6:34 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:You do seem to be on the recieving end of the usual foul language ad hom attacks and posting styles that rely totally on the acceptance that SW will win no matter what and that everything ST will not work against SW tech while everything SW will obviously work against ST tech.

My favorite it the AT-AT comment
"I'd like to see Phasers take down an AT-AT."
......lol.

Why waste phaser energy when you can just string a rope accross its path and trip it up to destroy it?.......
Regardless TIE Fighters can accelerate at 6000G, to hit it the missile would have to be so close the TIE couldn't react and to do that you have to be so close the warhead wouldn't even arm.
6000G is that all?.

Missiles and torps in trek can accelerate instantly to warp speeds and track and hit a target travelling at those speeds...
AFAIK, Photorps can be fired at Warp, but not accelerate to Warp if fired at Sublight. The problem here comes from the high acceleration figure given for the Tie.
Have we ever seen a Tie accelerate at those rates?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon May 31, 2010 8:02 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
AFAIK, Photorps can be fired at Warp, but not accelerate to Warp if fired at Sublight. The problem here comes from the high acceleration figure given for the Tie.
We have seen missiles in trek accelerate to warp, i dunno about photons but plenty of other types have done so.
Praeothmin wrote:Have we ever seen a Tie accelerate at those rates?
Dunno but then i doubt i would know what one doing so looked like from a hole in my ass anyway. :).

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 31, 2010 8:08 pm

When have we seen missiles accelerate to Warp, instead of being fired at Warp?
I really don't remember...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon May 31, 2010 8:29 pm

Praeothmin wrote:When have we seen missiles accelerate to Warp, instead of being fired at Warp?
Sorins missile reached the sun from standstill in seconds and while it could be argued that the warhead was not standard the delivery device was.

Cardassian ATR-4107.

Also a class 8 probe used a photon torpedo casing and can accelerate to warp 9 from a stationary launching point.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:23 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote:
Praeothmin wrote:When have we seen missiles accelerate to Warp, instead of being fired at Warp?
Sorins missile reached the sun from standstill in seconds and while it could be argued that the warhead was not standard the delivery device was.

Cardassian ATR-4107.

Also a class 8 probe used a photon torpedo casing and can accelerate to warp 9 from a stationary launching point.
Soren's missile was not a standard Photon Torpedo, as I recall, it didn't even look like a Photorp.

The Cardassian weapon was almost the size of a ship, so again, not your run-of-the-mill Photorp.

What episode mentions the Class 8 probe, and where do we see it actually go to Warp?
Or was that information from the non-canon, pretty much unsupported TNG Tech Manual?

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Soren's missile was not a standard Photon Torpedo, as I recall, it didn't even look like a Photorp.

The Cardassian weapon was almost the size of a ship, so again, not your run-of-the-mill Photorp.
I did actually deliberattly make the distinction between missiles and torps in my initial comment buddy :).
We have seen missiles in trek accelerate to warp, i dunno about photons but plenty of other types have done so.
However just to confirm that i do agree they are missiles not photon torpedoes.
Praeothmin wrote:What episode mentions the Class 8 probe, and where do we see it actually go to Warp?
Or was that information from the non-canon, pretty much unsupported TNG Tech Manual?
TNG - The Emissary.

K'Ehleyr (Worfs half klingon snuggle bunny) is packed inside a photon torpedo casing and fired from Starbase 153 (i think we can say the starbase was not traveling at warp let alone warp 9). It did have all its crap inside removed like sensors ect so they could fit her and a life support system in it and was sealed from the outside with a code pad so they could let her out, the E-D had to match its speed (Warp 9) so they could beam it onboard.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:09 pm

While you did mention that missiles, and not torpedoes, could go to Warp, you were answering to the 6000G Tie acceleration, saying missiles could go to Warp instantly and could track objects at these speeds.

Soren's missile was a special missile, that only needed to target a Sun, not an object accelerating at 6000G... :)
Kor wrote:TNG - The Emissary.

K'Ehleyr (Worfs half klingon snuggle bunny) is packed inside a photon torpedo casing and fired from Starbase 153 (i think we can say the starbase was not traveling at warp let alone warp 9). It did have all its crap inside removed like sensors ect so they could fit her and a life support system in it and was sealed from the outside with a code pad so they could let her out, the E-D had to match its speed (Warp 9) so they could beam it onboard.
Ah, thanks for the info.
This then makes me wonder why we've never seen an actual Photorp, not the casing, go to Warp when fired, since it would have been practical to do so many times...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:25 pm

Praeothmin wrote:While you did mention that missiles, and not torpedoes, could go to Warp, you were answering to the 6000G Tie acceleration, saying missiles could go to Warp instantly and could track objects at these speeds.
6000G is what roughly 59km per second per second acceleration?....so how long can they keep up that rate of acceleration for and what is their max non-hyperspace speed?.

Considering that Starfleet ships including runabouts, shuttles and attack fighters can use impulse to accelerate to c in just a few seconds and photon torps have no problem tracking or hitting them id not call 6000G Tie acceleration very impressive.

Soren's missile was a special missile, that only needed to target a Sun, not an object accelerating at 6000G... :)

Praeothmin wrote:Ah, thanks for the info.
I just watched the Episode on YouTube and i was wrong we do not SEE the torp go to warp, however they do mention it is from Starbase 153 (they use it as they have no ships nearby) and that its standard design is to travel at a max speed of warp 9.
Praeothmin wrote: This then makes me wonder why we've never seen an actual Photorp, not the casing, go to Warp when fired, since it would have been practical to do so many times...
Dunno, although im sure there were times when they were chasing a ship at warp and fired torps while both ships were accelerating, this would mean the photon torpedo would have to accelerate as well i would have thought.