Does literally everyone go to Stardestroyer.net?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Does literally everyone go to Stardestroyer.net?

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat May 22, 2010 12:15 am

Because literally (and I do mean literally) every message board I go to has at least someone advertising or bragging about it or some feature on it in some form, with perhaps the sole exception of us.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Re: Does literally everyone go to Stardestroyer.net?

Post by Tyralak » Sat May 22, 2010 3:34 am

Well, from what I understand, it's hemorrhaging users, and the traffic is lower than previously. And friends of mine who are in web development, game design, etc (who have zero interest in Wong or this debate, mind you) think that SDN is one of the crappiest sites they've seen in a long time. Mike uses an old ass version of PHP, it's not maintained very well, plus he's stupid enough to host it from a cable modem in his house. Instead of doing what smart people do, and host it offsite for a fraction of what he pays. For someone who's supposedly as smart as he is, he can be a complete idiot regarding practical matters.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat May 22, 2010 8:36 am

I think the problem with SDN is that they are so starved that anybody joining gets initially hammered for having even the slightest differance of opinion with the "Wongite doctrine", if they dare to continue to disagree it is likely they will be banned for "not arguing correctly".

Yes thats right you heard it, IF you dare to disagree with them on SDN and because they are obviously right you MUST come to accept it or you obviously MUST be breaking the rules of logic, science ect ect.

It is a quite amusing logic loop for a so called DEBATE forum:

1. I am right, i think my ideas, logic and science are flawless and cannot be countered.

2. Therefore if i am right anybody disagreeing with me in any way must be wrong.

3. If the person disagreeing/DEBATING with me does not convert to my side they are not using proper logic, science or facts.

4. The forum rules say if you do not use proper logic, science or facts you will be punished/suspended/banned.

The most entertaining thing is that M Wong who runs SDN slags off religions constantly for having the same attitude in their histories and persecuting the heretics.

I had the same crap pulled on SB.com by a warsie moderator for kicking his butt in a debate, he actually STOPPED debating so he could wait a week to PERMA ban me (as he cannot ban a person he is in a active debate with) then bragged about doing so.........in fact this guy even went so far as to phrase my disagreeing with him in our debate as bullet pointed "Heresies".

Anyway the perma ban was overturned and they just gave me 2 wks using a rather feeble excuse of me having 2 accounts that is refered to a sockpuppetry (although i never denied or abused the fact by supporting my own posts).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat May 22, 2010 11:20 pm

Most people have solved that by not even trying to argue on SDN. ;)
It's not without a reason that the few members both found on SDN and SBC still post at SBC to get some debate fix.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun May 23, 2010 6:04 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Because literally (and I do mean literally) every message board I go to has at least someone advertising or bragging about it or some feature on it in some form, with perhaps the sole exception of us.
Well, there aren't actually that many SDN members relative to the whole of the internet, but the ones that exist generally (a) have lots of spare time on their hands [see Who is like God arbour's thread on the topic of SDN loyalist posting rates] and (b) are vocal proponents of SDN wherever else they go.

It probably doesn't hurt your perceptions that the "affairs of other boards do not concern us" rule on SB.com seems rarely enforced when it comes to SDN.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue May 25, 2010 1:58 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Most people have solved that by not even trying to argue on SDN. ;)
It's not without a reason that the few members both found on SDN and SBC still post at SBC to get some debate fix.
Why bother to rehash the same ground over and over again?
Well, from what I understand, it's hemorrhaging users, and the traffic is lower than previously. And friends of mine who are in web development, game design, etc (who have zero interest in Wong or this debate, mind you) think that SDN is one of the crappiest sites they've seen in a long time. Mike uses an old ass version of PHP, it's not maintained very well, plus he's stupid enough to host it from a cable modem in his house. Instead of doing what smart people do, and host it offsite for a fraction of what he pays. For someone who's supposedly as smart as he is, he can be a complete idiot regarding practical matters.
IIRC he actually did it because he wanted to build himself a server.

As for hemorrhaging, I dunno, I don't really keep track but lots of us long time members have dropped out of VS debating or debating in general. Theres just too much horsehit to put up with.

Oh shit! Peak Oil!
Oh shit! Peak Money!

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue May 25, 2010 2:57 am

The Dude wrote: IIRC he actually did it because he wanted to build himself a server.
Ah. So like the guy down the street who makes his own diesel fuel and bath soap. Got it. Interesting to be sure, but not the most practical thing in the world.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue May 25, 2010 9:33 am

Yeah, people have all sorts of odd hobbies.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 pm

The Dude wrote:Yeah, people have all sorts of odd hobbies.
Yeah, some people even debate who would win in a war between two fictional universes... :)
How much weirder can one get? ;)

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue May 25, 2010 7:43 pm

*shakes head* Whats wrong with kids these days. lol

User1405
Welcome the new member!

Post by User1405 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:27 pm

This thread is hilarious.

Stardestroyer.net is doing fine.

All you have to do is do a cursory search on Alexa.com to see how well a website is doing.

Stardestroyer.net -> 96,706 Rank (as of 10th June 2010)
starfleetjedi.net -> 21,980,207 Rank (as of 10th June 2010)

I suspect all Star Wars/Star Trek themed sites are less active than before with the Star Wars films over years ago and with no current Star Trek TV series to interest people.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm

boozebum wrote: This thread is hilarious.

All you have to do is do a cursory search on Alexa.com to see how well a website is doing.

By what criteria do they base this ranking on? Total number of posts over the years? Activity in a specific time frame? Number of members? Number of hits? All of the above? How has either SDN or SFJN risen or fallen over the years they've been up? I don't see any archiving of that information there at a cursory glance beyond a six month time period based on traffic which shows SDN is downward on 7 day traffic, but trending a little bit upwards monthly. There is no trending data available for SFJN for comparison.
boozebum wrote:I suspect all Star Wars/Star Trek themed sites are less active than before with the Star Wars films over years ago and with no current Star Trek TV series to interest people.
Probably, but the advent of the Wars Clone Wars CGI series and the revival of the movie portion of the Trek movie seems to have lead to some increasing of interest. In particular the TCW series with it's less than flattering portrayal SW technology (at least in regards to how rabid Warsies and Saxtonites would like to see it) seems to now be the focus of the proponents of other franchises in their Versus debates against SW.
-Mike
Last edited by Mike DiCenso on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:22 pm

boozebum wrote:This thread is hilarious.

I suspect all Star Wars/Star Trek themed sites are less active than before with the Star Wars films over years ago and with no current Star Trek TV series to interest people.
A more accurate comparison would be between the VS portion of SDN and SFJ, since SDN has more numerous forums on things outside of the VS debate.
How has SDN's VS portion grown, or stagnated, compared to SFJ, over the last 2 or 3 years?
That's the real question.
And yes, there does seem to be a bit less activity then before, but you must also note that any such resurgence of debates pitting ST VS SW at SBC is quickly stifled by the Mods when the ST side seems to get the upper hand in a discussion...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Praeothmin wrote: And yes, there does seem to be a bit less activity then before, but you must also note that any such resurgence of debates pitting ST VS SW at SBC is quickly stifled by the Mods when the ST side seems to get the upper hand in a discussion...
Very true.

The method SDN and some mods on SB use is a quite simple 4 step method.

It is a quite amusing logic loop for a so called DEBATE forum:

1. I am right, i think my ideas, logic and science are flawless and cannot be countered.

2. Therefore if i am right anybody disagreeing with me in any way must be wrong.

3. If the person disagreeing/DEBATING with me does not convert to my side they are not using proper logic, science or facts.

4. The forum rules say if you do not use proper logic, science or facts you will be punished/suspended/banned.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:30 pm

Praeothmin wrote:A more accurate comparison would be between the VS portion of SDN and SFJ, since SDN has more numerous forums on things outside of the VS debate.
How has SDN's VS portion grown, or stagnated, compared to SFJ, over the last 2 or 3 years?

That's the real question.

Another good point. Plus if traffic monitoring is simply a measure of the number of hits on the site, then it changes everything. I note that on Alexa.com's entry for RSA's st-vs-sw.net website is listed as well. Since that site has not had an offical forum for over 3 years now, I think we can safely assume that Alexa is not a measure strictly of posting activity, but all forms of traffic, which more likely is a measure of people viewing the pages.

I can't locate an entry for Tyralak's ASVS forum. It would be interesting to compare that site's traffic rating to both SDN and SFJN's.
-Mike