Canon Fodder

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Canon Fodder

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 pm

Have you guys ever visited this website?

Canon Fodder

The intent seems honorable.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Re: Canon Fodder

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue May 18, 2010 5:16 am

It really underlines just how many loose ends there are lying around Star Trek. Lot of stuff there, nothing too striking just yet.

I don't think I agree with the idea of taking kitbashes literally. That's a bit of documentarian foolishness - I seem to recall on the main EAS site some discussion of the problems taking kitbashes and "scaled up/down" ships literally. The details of physical appearance should be taken with a grain of salt.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue May 18, 2010 5:20 am

Give it time. I'm sure it will improve. It's a good idea, to be sure.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed May 19, 2010 1:24 am

I accept kitbashed ships, but not as such in-universe . . . that is, I figure large-scale components could be re-used by Starfleet engineers much as modern car designers re-use engines, transmissions, and frames and such across models. But I don't think that yard engineers took broken hull pieces and slapped together ships and sent them on their way all willy-nilly.

Sure, Federation engineers that can "turn rocks into replicators" as the Vorta said could almost certainly cobble together a functional ship out of a sufficient number of spare parts, and given the myriad Federation starship designs (which by all rights ought to be a drain on logistics) we could even argue that numerous parallel design teams and shipyards doing mostly their own thing is commonplace.

But still, it seems pretty silly, worse even than the SW EU phenomenon of Uglies.

It's one thing for a Shelby type to make a hot rod Mustang . . . it's quite another to cobble together the "One Piece At a Time"-mobile.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu May 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Oh yes, the Uglies. What did they have in mind when creating those? Was it a veiled way to mock fans who'd love to make the best starfighter evah with a bit of this and that against all probably odds and basic principles of engineering and security? Or was it a genuine intention to make plain horrible crafts?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 21, 2010 4:21 am

Probably both. ;-)
-Mike