LMAO@SpaceBattles!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Re: LMAO@SpaceBattles!

Post by Praeothmin » Mon May 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote: Well, abusing multiple accounts can make you look more convincing. You can produce your own strawmen (IIRC, SDN has been accused of doing so), and you can produce your own supporters saying "me, too!"

You can even play out someone arguing against you and then coming around to your side. Also, people who've stopped listening to one account might still pay attention to the other one.

In some cases that last reason is cause for renaming yourself across different boards, even if you're not actually using multiple accounts on any one board; e.g., Leo1/Vympel has probably benefited from people replying to him on SB.com not immediately realizing that he's a core member of the SDN community and a moderator there.
This is true. However, sock puppets can be amusing. Most of the time mine are for teh lulz. Parody socks, etc. For example, at TrollKingdom I have my main Dirk Funk persona, which is the bulk of my posting plus my moderator powers. (I'm the moderator of the Badlands forum at TrollKingdom) Then I have several sock puppets (or "duals" as they call them there) Towlie, Nice Bad Guy, Blackfoot's Dick, Pink Sock Puppet, etc. I usually bring them out for amusement and/or to make a point that's better said by an alter-ego.
Well, sometimes "Teh Lulz" aren't necessarily welcomed when trying to make a serious point.
Since SB.com seems to take itself seriously (except for its moderation, it clearly is voluntarily "Jason-like"), I would think they would frown upon sock-puppet accounts...

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon May 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Well, sometimes "Teh Lulz" aren't necessarily welcomed when trying to make a serious point.
Since SB.com seems to take itself seriously (except for its moderation, it clearly is voluntarily "Jason-like"), I would think they would frown upon sock-puppet accounts...

Im not sure what i needed to do to qualify my second account as a sock puppet but i know i never supported my own stuff or abused it in any way. I thought SB.com was going a good debate forum but after this crap where i have been banned using stupid excuses simply because i beat a moderator in a debate has put me right off it.

Il not be looking to have the ban lifted or bother posting on there again as i see no point in doing so when the result of finding a closing argument on a subject a mod is in favor of gets you banned.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon May 17, 2010 8:52 pm

Kor_Dahar_Master wrote: Im not sure what i needed to do to qualify my second account as a sock puppet but i know i never supported my own stuff or abused it in any way. I thought SB.com was going a good debate forum but after this crap where i have been banned using stupid excuses simply because i beat a moderator in a debate has put me right off it.

Il not be looking to have the ban lifted or bother posting on there again as i see no point in doing so when the result of finding a closing argument on a subject a mod is in favor of gets you banned.
I wouldn't bother with the place. Spend your time at more open minded debate forums like here and ASVS. It's less headache. JMS won't ban you for disagreeing with him here, and I won't ban you at ASVS for anything short of criminal offenses.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 18, 2010 1:51 am

The problem with ASVS is that there doesn't seem to be any debate at all. I can pick any random thread and it's all about pointless junk and low brow lolz or some such. I can envision a couple funny versus debates from time to time but I prefer to treat this shit seriously. When I want a good laugh I don't really spend my time talking about turbolasers and FTL ranges.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue May 18, 2010 2:12 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:The problem with ASVS is that there doesn't seem to be any debate at all. I can pick any random thread and it's all about pointless junk and low brow lolz or some such. I can envision a couple funny versus debates from time to time but I prefer to treat this shit seriously. When I want a good laugh I don't really spend my time talking about turbolasers and FTL ranges.
You apparently haven't been there in a while. There are separate forums for the lighter non-debate topics, which is where the "low brow lolz" as you put it are contained. Ten Forward and The Speakeasy. That stuff is usually kept out of the main forums. Plus, when you lose all sense of humor you get Spacebattles and SDN:

It's no longer fun. The trick is to keep a balance of the two, which is what I'm attempting. Keeping in mind that this isn't REAL it's make believe, and debating MAKE BELIEVE should be fun, not "Serious Business". Anyway, here's a couple of our current debates.

http://www.asvs.us/index.php/topic/1012 ... on-thread/

http://www.asvs.us/index.php/topic/1377 ... -sw-ships/
Last edited by Tyralak on Tue May 18, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 am

I think SB.com would be a good place to go to now, if there was some way of ousting the pro-Warsie mods like Cpl. Facehugger. At least the membership as a whole has generally come around to seeing that the ICS books are not sacred gospels.

As for the sock puppet thing, I'm a bit wary of it all. Too much potential for abuse, and based on what I'm reading here, I'm now sure more than ever that StarDestroyerAvenger was someone's sock puppet .
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue May 18, 2010 4:21 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:I think SB.com would be a good place to go to now, if there was some way of ousting the pro-Warsie mods like Cpl. Facehugger. At least the membership as a whole has generally come around to seeing that the ICS books are not sacred gospels.

As for the sock puppet thing, I'm a bit wary of it all. Too much potential for abuse, and based on what I'm reading here, I'm now sure more than ever that StarDestroyerAvenger was someone's sock puppet .
-Mike
I'm CERTAIN it was a troll. As for if it was a member of the board, I doubt it. Whoever it was, he apparently knew what he was doing. He used he same Chinese proxy every single time. I'm still convinced it was Schatten, due to some circumstantial evidence. But then again, it could have been someone trying to pin it on him as well. In any event, he's been gone for months. I'm not very anxious to see him turn up again. He was a real pain in the ass.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue May 18, 2010 11:30 am

Thanatos wrote:Upon review, Kittamaru and ricrery1 banned for downright immature and often channish behavior, to say nothing of your apparent cross board feud.
I was thinking that Kittamaru was being much too pro-Trek to get away with it on a SB.com Wars thread, but then I thought to myself "Oh, the only thing he's done against the rules is help derail the topic here and there and flame back when flamed, and they can't possibly consider issuing a ban for that, especially when so many others are complicit with it."

Apparently the one lolcat picture back on page 8 is worth more than the heat of a thousand flames. Also apparently, Face needed to call for backup, since the thread failed to die when he banned Kor.
Tyralak wrote:Plus, when you lose all sense of humor you get Spacebattles and SDN:

It's no longer fun.
Well, we're dour and humorless here, too. I have fun, though.

It is a little amusing that all the rules purportedly dedicated to trying to make debate good on SB (and SDN, too, with its extensive pages upon pages of rules) are mostly used to suppress debate. Really, if we think of the goal of moderating discussion being to facilitate it, SB moderation is clearly failing in this thread.

All the moderators are doing is getting certain posters to be quiet. Shouting down and shutting down posters they disagree with. Impairing discussion, in fact. They're not splitting off-topic discussions into their own threads, hosing down flame wars, or anything that would help the discussion move forward.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue May 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I agree with Tyralak, apart from the threads from Jason, whom you can simply ignore if you wish, the debates are fun.
Questor is the best on the SW side there, IMO, while InvaderSkooj and Enigma keep things interesting...
People here who want to debate SW fans without fearing getting piled on by the Mods and peanut gallery, you could do it at ASVS.

EDIT: Oh, JMS, I've shamelessly used information from the main page concerning speeds, although I did give full credits to the site.
Let me know if you frown upon that kind of thing (I'm sure you don't, but just in case)...

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue May 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:The problem with ASVS is that there doesn't seem to be any debate at all. I can pick any random thread and it's all about pointless junk and low brow lolz or some such. I can envision a couple funny versus debates from time to time but I prefer to treat this shit seriously. When I want a good laugh I don't really spend my time talking about turbolasers and FTL ranges.
You apparently haven't been there in a while. There are separate forums for the lighter non-debate topics, which is where the "low brow lolz" as you put it are contained. Ten Forward and The Speakeasy. That stuff is usually kept out of the main forums. Plus, when you lose all sense of humor you get Spacebattles and SDN:

It's no longer fun. The trick is to keep a balance of the two, which is what I'm attempting. Keeping in mind that this isn't REAL it's make believe, and debating MAKE BELIEVE should be fun, not "Serious Business". Anyway, here's a couple of our current debates.

http://www.asvs.us/index.php/topic/1012 ... on-thread/

http://www.asvs.us/index.php/topic/1377 ... -sw-ships/
Where did you get that picture of me??????

Well... OK.
My (large) point:
Treating make believe in a more serious manner in just as fun. There is no lack of humour either, but it's only coming second. The problem of SBC and SDN is not the way fictional material is handled, but how the rules of debate are applied. Sorry, I prefer serious by default instead of lolrofl by default. At least I know that I don't have to keep my filter on most of the time in the hope of reading some interesting debate... or I must have been very unlucky during my pick and read sessions at nuASVS, but I really doubt that.
The fact that this kind of thread is what you consider the best ASVS can offer on the serious side of debate pretty much illustrates my point. Just not my cup of tea. It may satisfy you, good for you, I wish you good luck, but it just doesn't work for me.
ASVS as now is way too superficial in its image. It even goes beyond the mere question of talking about ST or SW, since people instinctively like to follow some guidelines, if only to keep things clean, and rules there are, here, and at SBC and SDN.
Plus you're trying to appeal to a niche of fans who generally take their pet universes seriously. They like to joke about them sometimes, but it's the outlying behaviour, not the norm.
Yes, I think I'm snobbing your board. The attempt to be a nearly rules-free board is interesting, but I believe it can happen on a serious minded board as well. They are two separate things, and I prefer rules. It just has to be fair.
Tyralak wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I think SB.com would be a good place to go to now, if there was some way of ousting the pro-Warsie mods like Cpl. Facehugger. At least the membership as a whole has generally come around to seeing that the ICS books are not sacred gospels.

-Mike
I'm CERTAIN it was a troll. As for if it was a member of the board, I doubt it. Whoever it was, he apparently knew what he was doing. He used he same Chinese proxy every single time. I'm still convinced it was Schatten, due to some circumstantial evidence. But then again, it could have been someone trying to pin it on him as well. In any event, he's been gone for months. I'm not very anxious to see him turn up again. He was a real pain in the ass.
You can't have both, unfortunately.

Mike DiCenso wrote:I think SB.com would be a good place to go to now, if there was some way of ousting the pro-Warsie mods like Cpl. Facehugger.
Ousting, maybe not, but at least with a balance. There's none, with CPLF and Thanatos really acting like pompous self-centered dukes.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Thanatos wrote:Upon review, Kittamaru and ricrery1 banned for downright immature and often channish behavior, to say nothing of your apparent cross board feud.
I was thinking that Kittamaru was being much too pro-Trek to get away with it on a SB.com Wars thread, but then I thought to myself "Oh, the only thing he's done against the rules is help derail the topic here and there and flame back when flamed, and they can't possibly consider issuing a ban for that, especially when so many others are complicit with it."

Apparently the one lolcat picture back on page 8 is worth more than the heat of a thousand flames. Also apparently, Face needed to call for backup, since the thread failed to die when he banned Kor.
It's not like Kit made a good point about the Jem'hadar bug crash, complete with pictures and all that...

That's quite an interesting method we've got there. It helps masking what's really going on.
See, they can easily spot the deserving member arguing for one side, you just need to be a bit objective about that.
For example, Ricery1 or Point45. No one will miss them. So they will generally be associated to the ones who really were targeted, so that the decision will appear fair.
Or sometimes the mod will really target one member, but will be so pissed off that he will bag him with someone else of the other side who got reported at least once, or appeared to behave in a way which was disserving to the side the mod liked. In this case, it's more like a hasty feud with partial collateral damage. Example: Mith's, Ryan's and my ban.

Hell, you could make this even more devious by using sock puppets that you will "sacrifice", so you'll always manage to make the decision look balanced. Since both will get same duration bans, both will return at the same time. You can virtually "contain" the other side that way.

I hope they won't get there, but you never know. They're really getting nervous about it.
Notice that warnings are not voiced anymore. They go straight for the bans, and they seem to favour the week long ones by default.

Commander Razor does a much better job at keeping the house clean, and one of the last ban he has recently applied, against new member "deathmarine", was about a few days long or so.

Tyralak wrote:Plus, when you lose all sense of humor you get Spacebattles and SDN:

It's no longer fun.
Well, we're dour and humorless here, too. I have fun, though.

It is a little amusing that all the rules purportedly dedicated to trying to make debate good on SB (and SDN, too, with its extensive pages upon pages of rules) are mostly used to suppress debate. Really, if we think of the goal of moderating discussion being to facilitate it, SB moderation is clearly failing in this thread.

All the moderators are doing is getting certain posters to be quiet. Shouting down and shutting down posters they disagree with. Impairing discussion, in fact. They're not splitting off-topic discussions into their own threads, hosing down flame wars, or anything that would help the discussion move forward.[/quote]

Not all of them. CPLF and Than, yes. Perhaps Skyzeta, since I found his lack of reply to my PM rather puzzling, and it really looks like he supported Thanatos.
The point is, they are now mainly and openly looking like fanboys with mod powers. There was a time when this got mods demoded rather fast you know. See Alyeska. It didn't take long for him to lose his privileges.
These days the higher ups don't seem to give a shit, and the don't even explain their expeditious decisions.
Last edited by Mr. Oragahn on Thu May 20, 2010 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 pm

I got this message from "The observer" who is a mod on SB.net.

Kor,

After we looked over everything here is what we came up with. CFH banned you for three reasons:

1) Ignorance - Not really a bannable offense per se although it can be in some situations

2) Arrogance - You did have quite an attitude, as did others who will be dealt with now that the thread has been brought to our attention.

3) Dishonesty - The case where you aledgedly lied was the subject of debate for us... your statement could be taken either way. We have decided to err on the side of giving you the benefit of doubt.

SO where does this leave us?

-Your sock puppet is perm banned
-Your NSF ban has been reduced to 2 weeks for sock puppetry and to a much lesser extent for generally poor attitude at times.

Rest assured that your claims of bias amongst the moderators have not fallen on deaf ears however such a serious accusation requires much evidence to prove.

-Your Friendly Neighbourhood Moderator
I told him i was glad to be rid of the second account and apologized to him for not realising having 2 accounts was such a crime (im still unsure what "sockpuppetry" actually entails, is it automatic by having 2 accounts or do you need to behave in a certain way?).

I mentioned a few thngs in regards to the other 3 points but did not see the point of going into great detail due to the fact i think we are aware that they were particularly weak accusations considering other individuals behaviour in that thread and on the forum in general. I thanked him for any efforts he made on my behalf but mentioned that i remain sceptical about anything being done regarding bias moderation.

Anyway all said and done at least im rid of marakor so i do not have to worry about what PC and what browser i have open anymore before i post.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:53 pm

Ok so i have a update on moderation standards on SB.com.

I received a 12 month 25 point warning today from SuperS4:
Dear Kor,

You have received an infraction at SpaceBattles.com.

Reason: personal attack
-------
Your trolling of White Rabbit will not be tolerated. Do not make personal attacks such as this.

Also, remove said attacks from you signature, ie everything from you sig that is in reference to White Rabbit.
-------

This infraction is worth 25 point(s) and may result in restricted access until it expires. Serious infractions will never expire.
The warning and punishment was because of how i had my sig however the issue began in this thread:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthre ... 517&page=2

Where i quite honestly and reasonably posted this request for more info:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... stcount=46

And got this insulting personal attack from white_rabbit (last comment on the post):

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... stcount=48

As such i changed my sig so that it showed white_rabbit indulging in a bit of hippocracy.

It was similar but a condensed version of this:
sig:-
white_rabbit wrote:
The next classic feature of a bullshitter, moving the goal posts.
white_rabbit wrote:
Lets not forget that at no point are modified nanoprobes, or their information ever directly given to Seven.
Quote:
JANEWAY: Completely. Tuvok, give her the nanoprobes. Work with her. Build as many warheads as you can and start modifying our weapons systems.

PWNED
;7
white_rabbit wrote:
...PROVE THAT SEVEN TRANSMITTED THE DATA WHEN SHE RETURNED TO THE MILKYWAY!!!.
Did some one mention goal posts?..:D
Note that in that sig the only actual insult and foul language was a comment copied from WR and the word "bullshitter"

Within minutes i received that warning and got a 12 month 25 point warning along with the demand to remove it and not to have a sig with his quotes in, a thing that is apparently only done to me as plenty of others on that forum have sigs that contain others on the board saying summat stupid or slipping up some how...

The moderator had already given out a warning regarding people sniping, flaming and posting crap in that thread at the post 121 mark but again little nothing was done even when it continued:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=121

Apparently rama making a personal insult and calling me a motherfucker and later a retard in this thread is ok:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=153

Shiftlessly stupid is not a personal insult in this thread:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=169

And you should perhaps take note of his sig that contains a comment from another user....

Images were also used rather than arguments but again ignored:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=170

Rama has been banging on about me "slandering" the moderation standards on that board for a while now, however for it to be slander it is required to be false and this clearly shows it is not.
Last edited by Kor_Dahar_Master on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:27 pm

As a result i will be following the SpaceBattles Complaint Proceedure and will keep you updated.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:38 am

I can't talk about the Borg building the weapons so fast. We have evidence that they can create matter out of nowhere, from VOY and ENT.

Memory Alpha says :

"In conjunction with the Borg, The Doctor developed modified nanoprobes (by reconfiguring them to give the same signature as species 8472's cells) which were able to effectively combat Species 8472 and their bioships."

We're talking about the Borg, adapting on the volley. All they seem to need to do is an alteration to the part of the nanoprobes that would emit a given signature to mimic 8472 cells. The question really is to what extent the nanoprobes were modified.
With their adaptation speed and technological power, plus the ability to grow some matter out of nothing, literally, and that in a few seconds and from a couple drones, I find it hard to believe that the entire Borg hive couldn't have their ships and drones inside said ships to begin update immediately.

Clues?
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Nanoprobe

"In 2375, Seven of Nine encoded some of her nanoprobes to assimilate the synthehol molecules in Kadi Ambassador Tomin's bloodstream, allowing him to recover from his intoxication in time to return to his people. (VOY: "Someone to Watch Over Me")"

How long did that take?

"In 2374, The Doctor was able to modify nanoprobes as an offensive weapon against Species 8472. He reprogrammed them to mimic the alien cells' electrochemical signatures, so that they could evade detection by Species 8472's immune system while continuing to assimilate. These nanoprobes could be delivered inside a photon torpedo or along a phaser beam. (VOY: "Scorpion", "Scorpion, Part II", "Prey")"

By Memory Alpha, what the Doctor did was reprogram the nanoprobes.
Transcript:

EMH: I hope to unleash an army of modified Borg nanoprobes into his bloodstream, designed to target and eradicate the infection. As you know, I've been analysing the nanoprobes. They're efficient little assimilators, one can't help but admire the workmanship, but they're no match for the alien cells. So I successfully dissected a nanoprobe and managed to access its re-coding mechanism. I reprogrammed the probe to emit the same electrochemical signatures as the alien cells. That way, the probe can do its work without being detected. Observe. The alien cells are completely oblivious to probe until it's too late. Unfortunately, I've only created a few prototypes. I'll need several days to modify enough nanoprobes to cure Ensign Kim.

I think it's safe to assume he had to dissect one to get access to the program, otherwise attempting a normal connection with a nanoprobe may have been hasardous, or absolutely pointless.
So it appears the Doctor only did that, reprogram the code in some raw fashion. Then I'm sorry for herr white cream, but I can't see anything preventing the Borg from applying this modification within seconds.

Now, did 7 transmit the data? Obviously, she makes her report after the use of the high yield warhead, but why would have it only happened then? Why the connection not reestablished sooner?
The dialogue is ambiguous.
It's logical for 7 not to bother the captain when they come under attack. It's not like it would have made much of a difference to make her report earlier.
But with the episode, it's clear that as soon as she says she has regained contact, Janeway asks her what the Borg say, there's a beat, and 7o9 states the bugs are running away.
It's hard to agree that she sent all the data and the Borg immediately updated and fired weapons within the seconds when 7 just seems concentrated on taping the phone, really.

It's not impossible, but it's far from being what we get as part of the audience.

However, my question would be, why would it have to be 7 to send the data, when Voyager was partially borgified. Why would 7 not add all she already knew about the probes to the Borg hardware and have it send all the data on 7's signal (like, when they return to realspace), or even automatically. It's not like 7's connection with the collective seemed to be percieved by Voyager's sensors, right?
That would give the Borg a hell of a time to adapt about everything, from beams to torps to drones, mines, etc.

However, I don't know any evidence that any of the hardware in question could be linked to the collective, and above all even before 7 herself.

As for 40K, the rest is just white cream being obnoxious, as usual. He's being very obsessed about me though. :|
I wonder how he would fare outside of SBC and SDN if he had to defend the mearest fraction of the claims he makes. That would be funny to watch. There's not much bravery in his behaviour.
Mm... I'm going to check Ricrery1's quotes. There are some I know, some I didn't and some I think he misunderstood.
White cream's reaction to some of the quotes I actually know was very amusing. You can sense the panic. Leo used to behave the same way when he felt he was getting cornered. Especially his reactions to "Execution Hour" and "Shadow Point": "and?" or "so?"
It's quite known here now that these books really blow to pieces their sweat erected dogma they so obediently and zealously follow.
I'm not holding my breath over the "Ghostmaker" one. The "Necropolis" one could be very interesting, depending on what is said. I don't believe I've checked that book yet.
"Straight Silver"'s quote was recently presented there, although as belonging to "Sabbat Martyr". Is it an error from Ricrery1 or Bane, or just the author repeating himself? Still, it's not an absolute thing that the quote would speak of maximum firepower, even if the wording is so odd that it implies that without four ships, such a destruction would be harder to complete, and getting close to impossible the lesser the ships. Still, I'd like to see Orsai's evidence that Gaunts are so ignorant that they can't be believed when they make claims about naval firepower. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you never know with Orsai.
"Ravenor" is quite interesting. If the ships' shields were as strong as they pretend, very few stars could be capable of destroying IoM warships, even if thrown into a sun. More specifics would be required for that one. Obviously, white cream plays the fool and feigns not understanding what this implies. Or he just doesn't understand it, which wouldn't surprise me either.
"Ravenor Rogue" is just more of the fact that Chaos or IoM forces would bother with virus bombing instead of going with their conventional firepower, in order to destroy a planet. That one will be interesting as well. The hammies' explanation as to why virus bombing is so necessary when you do have weapons in the giga/tera/petaton range has hardly been good enough. The best I've read is that they use it because it's frightening. Yeah, the defence is that weak.
"Xenos", that's a rectification of the "petals of flame the size of continent" bullshit, the famous quotation always butchered to make it mean things it didn't mean. Fortunately, this was covered a while ago, and at least the hardcore hammies don't attempt to use it anymore.
"Salamander", iirc, is that case of a "flare" hitting a ship coming out the Warp at the ass-end of a star system. Something too odd, and better put on hold until I can get a closer look at that one.
"Nightbringer" may be a good one, at least regarding the asteroid case. We'd have to check out what is said about the yield of the weapon that would level the building and everything within a 50 km radius. Odd thing that they couldn't dial it down that easily. But if anything, it sets a low end, not a high end. Unless something in the book shows that the "vast forces" of the ship had to be understood as her complete firepower capacity.
Now, Orsai's counter argument about the asteroid is quite poor: "And those asteroids are described as out massing the Vae Victus by millions of tons, no shit L/Adm. Tiberius didn't want to get into a fender-bender with them." What matters is the relative velocity at impact, and the density of the material at the point of impact. Funny thing, an object 999 million tonnes heavy would begin to become a threat if it moved at 100 km/s at the moment of impact, and that of course all the mass of the object came to a stop. I know Orsai says that the asteroids outmassed the warship by millions of tonnes, but 999 M is quite the absolute high end of it. If you check Wong's calculator, the asteroid would either be about 940 meters wide for hard granite, or over 620 meters wide for pure nickel-iron.
Speed will also determine if shields would be useful or not. I'm not sure why they'd try to fly into that asteroid field so fast though. 100 km/s is stupidly extreme, and yet, with the maximum weight, it's practically required to enter the release of semen threshold.
"Rynn's World" would only be interesting for the mountain cratering, eventually.
"The Purging of Kadillus" might be worth a look. At least the quote provided shows that some dorsal weapons were used, and heavy weapons tend to be there, aside from bow mounted axial accelerators.
"Tales of Heresy" could be good, and as for "Thousand Sons", I think I added that one to the misc thread already.

On just small note on what creamy said though:

"Bullshit, Oragahn didn't provide any quotes that were never refuted. He's posted stuff that he's offered his own opinion on the interpretation of. I do like this idea that he's the guy who can decide which author is wrong about things though."

Kor, what do you mean by me saying that authors were wrong on several occasions?
Orsai wrote: EDIT - Oh yeah, and we know from The Sabbat Worlds Crusade and Dark Disciple that IoM ships can hang about in the flare zone (rather than umpteen billion miles away, as the Vulkan's Wrath was) of a star without any trouble worth mentioning.
Can't wait to see those.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:57 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Kor, what do you mean by me saying that authors were wrong on several occasions?
When did i say that bud?, it sounds more like something that WR would say so can you link it so i can make sure i did not put quote marks around what that tool said by mistake.