LMAO@SpaceBattles!

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Starship Captain

Re: LMAO@SpaceBattles!

Post by 2046 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:38 am

That's the other reason I don't care too much about SpaceBattles, nor do I think pro-Wars mods will ever go anywhere . . . there's way too much going on.

I don't know squat about some of the things they speak of there (WH40K, LotR, et cetera), and have no interest in learning about them.

Imagine I'm owning the place and having some kid crying foul because HBMC inflates Halo over WH40K (as an example) . . . I wouldn't give much of a damn.

What would make the current owners any different if they don't care about ST and SW?

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:23 am

2046 wrote:I can probably answer that one from over here.

The answer is no, they will not be ousted. Even if some opinions have changed regarding Star Wars technology, the pro-Wars mods are trying to keep a lid on the idea at SB, and a campaign of equating "argue-lower-SW-tech" with "dumbass-(inserted hated sci-fi franchise here)-wankers" like "(insert unpopular or previously-banned person here)" will keep all but the motivated (such as Mith, Mr. O, l33t, et cetera, who are conspicuously kept on the recently-banned list) from touching the topic.

Put simply, it would take an overwhelming outcry from the hoi polloi (probably along with new polloi over time) to produce a change in that behavior.
Actually, it might be my memory, but I rarely get banned. Oh, I get infractions alright, but I honestly can't recall me getting nearly as many bans as those two. Which is odd because they generally tend to do better.

I have two theories.

1) My tendency of losing my temper occasionally or getting to caught up in the debate gives me a sort of fool pass, to the point that someone cannot take me seriously and therefore it's better to have me around as an example of a "Trektard" and only use infractions where they think I get out of hand.

2) They're afraid that if they do ban me, I'll go to a higher up and discuss it with them. Infractions are somewhat petty, but if they ban me for flamming when someone else starts the flamming or when we both were and only I got in trouble...well, that's a bit of a problem.

Because honestly, l33t does a much better job at keeping his cool in debates and gets banned for absolutely no reasons. And yet Whiterabbit, Leo1, and the other warsie are allowed to flame and pull as much excuses out of their asses as they want. And that's not even regarding the dumbass Point45, who is honestly too stupid to be using a God damn keyboard. If he breathed as well as he debated, he'd have not only suffocated himself, but about everyone within thirty kicks.
Last edited by Mith on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:28 am

2046 wrote:That's the other reason I don't care too much about SpaceBattles, nor do I think pro-Wars mods will ever go anywhere . . . there's way too much going on.

I don't know squat about some of the things they speak of there (WH40K, LotR, et cetera), and have no interest in learning about them.

Imagine I'm owning the place and having some kid crying foul because HBMC inflates Halo over WH40K (as an example) . . . I wouldn't give much of a damn.

What would make the current owners any different if they don't care about ST and SW?
Well, it depends. Despite attempts, the SW crowd is losing strength. The last two threads (I think it was two) dedicated to ICS vs. Higher Canon ended with the Warsies taking it up the tailpipe as the majority of the forum agrees that it's a load of bullcrap. On the other hand, the Warsies are holding onto the "It's a cartoon argument, it's artistic!"

Kinda funny how that suddenly stops when people want to do calcs based on how fast a Venator falls, when someone makes an accurate shot with an AT, or with the big bomb popper. But two ships duking it out in atmosphere? Clearly not an accurate representation.

Of course, what they fail to take into account is that this is going to be exactly what we see in the live action one. Which will be higher canon than the ICS--and this time there will be no squirming. Because as much as Lucas has fucked up the story of SW, he very often does well in keeping most of the special effects the same. It's not going to matter if they're in space or not--because it's Star Wars and Star Wars is based upon two WWII forces duking it out.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:53 am

InvaderSkooj wrote:I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still open is because of alyeska
If I'm not mistaken, isn't he the official SDN "house Trekkie"? "Yessir massa Wong. I'sa be glad ta mod yo forum. Yessir. I be keepin' them Trekkies in der place."

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:12 am

Tyralak wrote:
InvaderSkooj wrote:I'm pretty sure the only reason it's still open is because of alyeska
If I'm not mistaken, isn't he the official SDN "house Trekkie"? "Yessir massa Wong. I'sa be glad ta mod yo forum. Yessir. I be keepin' them Trekkies in der place."
You mean he's Wong's Bottom Bitch?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:02 am

Mith wrote:
Tyralak wrote:
You mean he's Wong's Bottom Bitch?
I think that's an excellent choice of words.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm

Folks? Turn the vitriol down a few notches. Thank you.

Alyeska has had an interesting history on SDN. A quick search shows that he's back on SDN again. so I suppose there's more tale to tell on the topic.
Mith wrote:Actually, it might be my memory, but I rarely get banned. Oh, I get infractions alright, but I honestly can't recall me getting nearly as many bans as those too. Which is odd because they generally tend to do better.
That is actually quite striking.
I have two theories.

1) My tendency of losing my temper occasionally or getting to caught up in the debate gives me a sort of fool pass, to the point that someone cannot take me seriously and therefore it's better to have me around as an example of a "Trektard" and only use infractions where they think I get out of hand.

2) They're afraid that if they do ban me, I'll go to a higher up and discuss it with them. Infractions are somewhat petty, but if they ban me for flamming when someone else starts the flamming or when we both were and only I got in trouble...well, that's a bit of a problem.

Because honestly, l33t does a much better job at keeping his cool in debates and gets banned for absolutely no reasons. And yet Whiterabbit, Leo1, and the other warsie are allowed to flame and pull as much excuses out of their asses as they want. And that's not even regarding the dumbass Point45, who is honestly too stupid to be using a God damn keyboard. If he breathed as well as he debated, he'd have not only suffocated himself, but about everyone within thirty kicks.
I think you may be onto something there in how moderation is selective. Perhaps you have it right. Perhaps, instead, it is that moderators enforce the rules on people they're paying close attention to. Maybe it's a little from column A and a little from column B; I'll explain what I mean by paying attention.

In a "hostile" debate environment, you don't really pay very close attention to what the other people on the same side as you are saying; and if you're a bit of a snob, as most experienced debaters become, you don't pay attention to the unwashed masses too much, either. Who do you pay the most attention to? The leading opposition figures.

The real test of that effect would be to have moderators from both sides, and see if people like Point45 tend to slip under the radar even as Leo1/Vympel and l33telboi suddenly start being treated similarly.
Last edited by Jedi Master Spock on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed spelling of name.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:The real test of that effect would be to have moderators from both sides, and see if people like Point45 tend to slip under the radar even as Leo1/Vympel and l33t3lboi suddenly start being treated similarly.
Bzzt. 1 3 less: 2 3s, not 3. :D

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 pm

Tyralak wrote:Well, I was alerted to an interesting thread at SB.com the other day: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=164663
If you read the thread, you'll notice there is no reply from me. This is because it was removed silently and without warning. I responded right after Mith. He explained that SDN doesn't allow "free" email addresses essentially to deter sock puppetry. He is, of course correct. I added my two cents: "This of course, is likely due to the fact that Wong is a pantywaist who can't handle trolls" I returned the next day, and *POOF*! The post was gone. It's amazing to see just how pwned these twerps are.
Just a note, the free email thing hasn't applied since they stopped with mod approved activation.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Mon May 03, 2010 5:37 am

The Dude wrote:
Tyralak wrote:Well, I was alerted to an interesting thread at SB.com the other day: http://forums.spacebattles.com/showthread.php?t=164663
If you read the thread, you'll notice there is no reply from me. This is because it was removed silently and without warning. I responded right after Mith. He explained that SDN doesn't allow "free" email addresses essentially to deter sock puppetry. He is, of course correct. I added my two cents: "This of course, is likely due to the fact that Wong is a pantywaist who can't handle trolls" I returned the next day, and *POOF*! The post was gone. It's amazing to see just how pwned these twerps are.
Just a note, the free email thing hasn't applied since they stopped with mod approved activation.
Oh. Didn't know they changed that. I have been registered since '04 and rarely log on, so I figured it was the same as it's been.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon May 03, 2010 8:44 am

I think they changed it after it was brought up that more folks were banned in a year then joined.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon May 03, 2010 2:26 pm

The Dude wrote:I think they changed it after it was brought up that more folks were banned in a year then joined.
Surprising. Do you know how many registrations they had a year?

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Not off hand. It's probably buried somewhere in the Senate clusterfuck, if I remember I'll look later on.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Surprising. Do you know how many registrations they had a year?
This is the thread you are looking for:

Banninations.

In page 2, Red Imperator mentions that they got 18 active posters from January to October of 09 (defining "active" as people who write over 0.5 posts daily). In the same period, they kicked out eight posters including several long time members.

Kor_Dahar_Master
Starship Captain

Post by Kor_Dahar_Master » Sat May 15, 2010 10:29 pm

Do you believe this crap?.

I sent this message to Alyeska, i dunno how much good it will do though.

Can you please do something about the unjust ban i recieved from one of your moderators, i have no idea how to apeal but i would like to request to do so.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=277

He PERMA banned me for disagreeing with his DET theory, what the heck kind of debate forum bans you for having a differance of opinion?.

Here is the truth about the 4 points he says against me:

1. I never support my own arguments with marakor and the only reason i have him is cos i joined with him in 09 and forgot, in fact i never even posted with him until this year and only ever did so when i was on the other PC as he logged in automatically instead of Kor. If i knew how i would delete him.

2. I know what the words i use mean and how they effect my theories, he is just angry because his theory was made to look overly complicated and foolish when i examined it compared to mine.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=155

3. I am more than willing to listen as i clearly looked at this hyperspace effect and found a few flaws in the quote given about it regarding the claim that it had the same power as the DET theory:

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=269

What he really means is he wants unquestioning acceptance of his belief.

4. Read point 1 in post 249,

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=249

Then his first reply (and faulty assumption of my "intuition" and "objection") in post 251,

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=251

then i correct him in post 257,

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=257

then the top of 261 where he calls me a liar

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=261

and then 264 where i point out AGAIN i made no claims other than I DID NOT KNOW WHY.

http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=264

Now i would like to point out that in the thread i have been subject to insults and flames (breaking rule 1), i stuck to principles and logic as much as it is possible and even supplied calculations when required.
http://forums.spacebattles.com/showpost ... tcount=173

And i broke none of the rules, unless disagreeing with a warsie moderator is the "hidden rule".

Cpl_Facehugger has abused his position and deliberatly ignored the truth in this matter because of his personal preferance regarding the debate subject..