SDN in a Nutshell

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Khas
Starship Captain

SDN in a Nutshell

Post by Khas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:05 pm

Well, you may or may not have asked for it, but here it is!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06kXXJUddHQ

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: SDN in a Nutshell

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:32 am

Khas wrote:Well, you may or may not have asked for it, but here it is!

What the f--- is wrong with you?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:59 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Khas wrote:Well, you may or may not have asked for it, but here it is!

What the f--- is wrong with you?

You might as well be asking my uncle, because he's the one who showed me that.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:43 am

Oooooookaaaaaay....
-Mike

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:39 pm

What in the world does that have to do with SDN?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm

I hesitate to put any meaning behind it all, but I'm guessing he means that SDN is batshit crazy or something.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:I hesitate to put any meaning behind it all, but I'm guessing he means that SDN is batshit crazy or something.
-Mike
That is my point.

The Dude
Jedi Knight

Post by The Dude » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 am

Ahh well, +5 nerd XP to you then. *pats Khas on the back*

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:16 pm

Khas wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:I hesitate to put any meaning behind it all, but I'm guessing he means that SDN is batshit crazy or something.
-Mike
That is my point.
Any particular reason or reasons why you think that?
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:09 am

Mainly it's their logic that's like that (although the behavior on the website is about as bad as that Narsil-vs.-PunkMaister political war a while back), and that just happens to be the video I show when I think someone's logic is based on delusions. On one astronomy forum, we did some creationist-bashing, and that was the video I used to describe their logic.

And SDNers are in many ways like creationists:
All their "evidence" comes from one book, and nowhere else.
They ignore the evidence of their eyes, in favor of said book.
Both support stuff that can and has been disproven.
Both act like childish assholes when they meet people of disagreeing oppinions.
If you give proof of the opposition, they start spewing bullshit.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:58 am

Khas wrote: And SDNers are in many ways like creationists:
Yes, to a large extent that is true, but that book had to have had it's rationale, and before it was written, the Warsies used to cherry pick their evidence from the EU, and even the they pulled that evidence from out of context quotes or the most favorable, literal interpretation of hyperbole statements by characters in the books or movies (see the evolution of the Base Delta Zero for how this is done).
Yes, and in some cases it is quite willful on their part. Yes, some of them know that it's all BS on their part, but they keep pretending otherwise because they are too proud (Poe, Saxton, Young) or enjoy basking in the adoration (Saxton, Wong) to admit otherwise.

Yes, see above to all those points. What do you think would happen if Poe, Wong, Young and Saxton were to ever admit publicaly that what they thought about SW tech was incorrect or flawed all along, especially where the ST v SW debate is concerned? Well, there goes their credibility among all their sycophantic fans, and along with it the adoration they enjoyed inflating their egos with.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:33 am

Khas wrote:Mainly it's their logic that's like that (although the behavior on the website is about as bad as that Narsil-vs.-PunkMaister political war a while back), and that just happens to be the video I show when I think someone's logic is based on delusions. On one astronomy forum, we did some creationist-bashing, and that was the video I used to describe their logic.

And SDNers are in many ways like creationists:
Well, nothing new. Mind you, some members behave like that, and only on some specific topics.
Why the SDN label is used, as a general statement though, is largely due to the behaviour and type of debating that dominates on certain topics, notably high profile fictional universe versus debates.
There are people over there who I actually agree with when, from time to time, I go read some random thread. That said, I clearly find myself hitting a ceiling when it comes to Star Wars, and generally those who jump from SDN to other boards to defend SW often share the same logical traits and arguments.

Did you register over there and start a debate?

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:57 pm

No, I always review a website before joining, and the way SDN was presented basically said "Thtah Wahth winth becauth itth Thtah Wahth", the constant flaming, and the fact that you can get banned if Mike Wong doesn't like you, all stopped me from joining.

That, and one Zerg vs. Empire Thread. The guy who posted it started what seemed like a civil debate, but all hopes of civility were blown out the window when the very first person to reply said "Are you fucking stupid?" Not only that, but Wong and I have VERY different opinions about how the whole war would go.

Also, I once peeped in on a small quasi-debate that would show a fight between StarCraft's Terran Wraith, Star Trek's Delta Flyer, Star Fox's Arwing, and Star Wars' TIE Fighter, and most people went with the TIE Fighter, of course.

So you see, that was just too ridiculous for me

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Khas wrote: That, and one Zerg vs. Empire Thread. The guy who posted it started what seemed like a civil debate, but all hopes of civility were blown out the window when the very first person to reply said "Are you fucking stupid?" Not only that, but Wong and I have VERY different opinions about how the whole war would go.
That sounds about right. What is Wong's opinion on that?
Khas wrote:Also, I once peeped in on a small quasi-debate that would show a fight between StarCraft's Terran Wraith, Star Trek's Delta Flyer, Star Fox's Arwing, and Star Wars' TIE Fighter, and most people went with the TIE Fighter, of course.
Which is really stupid as the the standard TIE is unshielded, and anyone who's seen TESB can tell you that they are not very tough ships as they slam into modest sized asteroid and are totally obliterated by an impact at a few tens of meters per second at most relative velocity. Plus their weapons can't even shear the tip of a small rock outcropping with a sustained laser volley.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:38 pm

Khas wrote:No, I always review a website before joining, and the way SDN was presented basically said "Thtah Wahth winth becauth itth Thtah Wahth", the constant flaming, and the fact that you can get banned if Mike Wong doesn't like you, all stopped me from joining.

That, and one Zerg vs. Empire Thread. The guy who posted it started what seemed like a civil debate, but all hopes of civility were blown out the window when the very first person to reply said "Are you fucking stupid?" Not only that, but Wong and I have VERY different opinions about how the whole war would go.

Also, I once peeped in on a small quasi-debate that would show a fight between StarCraft's Terran Wraith, Star Trek's Delta Flyer, Star Fox's Arwing, and Star Wars' TIE Fighter, and most people went with the TIE Fighter, of course.

So you see, that was just too ridiculous for me
Yes, absurd in many ways. That said, it's Wong's website, it's not a democracy or else. So the problem wouldn't really be the fact that he can ban you because he doesn't like you, but the reasons why he doesn't like you.