No news of that fluffy wars site?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

No news of that fluffy wars site?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:16 am

You know, the one ran by Xavier som'thing, with the Starfox MacGuy on the front page.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: No news of that fluffy wars site?

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:27 am

Apparently TrekWars:The Furry Conflict shut down. Why, I don't know for certain, but it appears that interest in the site had waned and there was little reason in keeping it going.
-Mike

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:48 pm

Aww, I'll be damned. I wish I'd known it was gonna go under. As always, I'd have hosted the Vs. articles, even as weird as that site was.

JMX had passed off running of TFC to others way back when. As of 2006 he was doing something called "The Silent Universe", some podcasty crap (I'm sure it was good, but I hate podcasts). He and I talked about it at the time, but I don't know where or when that occurred (I can find no record of any e-mail conversation during the period). The Silent Universe apparently fizzled out later.

I tried to e-mail an old TFC address I had, and tried to find contact info on the Silent Universe site, but the latter's forums are dead and I have no other obvious means of contact that I can find.

Pisser.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:53 am

I know. However, I think that you should archive copies of the site pages available at the Wayback Machine just in case that disappears as well.
-Mike

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

That sucks. That website was one of the three that got me into the debate. The other two being this one, and Wikipedia. And Wikipedia is where I found out about both sites. And no, I didn't have a TFC account and I'm not a furry. It just happened to be the only one with a story being prominent, and not in the background, so that's why I popped a look at it.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Well, hosting the stuff would be a little complicated, actually.

1. I don't want any of the furry stories or whatnot, just the Vs. tech stuff.

2. They moved the tech stuff to a wiki format at some point, so it's no longer pretty pages like it used to be. I could grab the old pretty pages, but that would mean they were out of date by comparison.

So . . . dunno.

Also, as far as the Wayback Machine or archived pages thereon disappearing, I would anticipate that it will outlast my site. :-)

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:31 pm

TFC was the site that got me into the versus debate as well, and I had a lot of fun there, but over the years, a lot of the "old" posters got tired of it, and left, and the people that remained weren't the ones I interacted the most with, so I left as well.

I noticed it was shut down a few months back, when I wanted to check in on people.

Still, 2046, if you want to host some of the old pages or information, perhaps the Admin known as Zannah can help.

You can try to contact her through her art site:
http://www.alopexstudios.com/content/

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:15 am

It was definitely a very specialized community. The intersection between the Furry community, Star Wars fandom, and Star Trek fandom is not that large, and TFC had developed its own continuity independent from the prequels.

The official SW EU has been difficult to adjust to the new material coming out for Star Wars. TFC went in a different direction than Lucas decided to, and that probably made it a lot harder for TFC to get new people in as time went by.

Compound that with a little bit of the way internet communities tend to close off themselves from new members, and how transient such communities tend to be, and it's actually surprising that TFC lasted as long as it did.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:37 am

One of the aspects that kinda turned me off from the site was that some people there were a bit too much in their Furry personas, and since I am not a furry (the only furry characters I ever created was on that site, and I never costumed myself as one), and as I do live in the real world more then in the Furry (or Sci-Fi) one, I sometimes felt uncomfortable with the way pêople interacted.
One guy was even banned because he was always in character, and never spoke as anything but his character, and since he was playing a Klingon Furry, he was very rude to people sometimes...

But I still had lots of fun there, most people were nice, and they ahd found a great way of integrting both franchises toghether...

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:18 am

Praeothmin wrote:and since he was playing a Klingon Furry,

Hmm. I thought that this made "Klingon Furry" a contradiction of terms.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:08 am

Praeothmin wrote:One of the aspects that kinda turned me off from the site was that some people there were a bit too much in their Furry personas, and since I am not a furry (the only furry characters I ever created was on that site, and I never costumed myself as one), and as I do live in the real world more then in the Furry (or Sci-Fi) one, I sometimes felt uncomfortable with the way pêople interacted.
One guy was even banned because he was always in character, and never spoke as anything but his character, and since he was playing a Klingon Furry, he was very rude to people sometimes...

But I still had lots of fun there, most people were nice, and they ahd found a great way of integrting both franchises toghether...
WHAT??!