Club ASVS is up

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Re: Club ASVS is up

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Much of that doesn't require re-watching the episodes, just going through transcripts, like Chrissie's Transcripts (also known as Chakoteya.net). :-)
-Mike
Excellent. Bookmarked for future reference.
That's two you owe me now, junior. ;-)
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:53 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:Much of that doesn't require re-watching the episodes, just going through transcripts, like Chrissie's Transcripts (also known as Chakoteya.net). :-)
-Mike
But if it's just transcripts, then it's all dismissible evidence, because it's all dialogue and no visuals!
Personally, my canon hierarchy is defined by the cost of the sets, props and VFX staff's paychecks.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:50 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:
-Mike
But if it's just transcripts, then it's all dismissible evidence, because it's all dialogue and no visuals!
Of course! Visuals trump everything! Except for the ICS. That overrides visuals.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:If the discussion were one on special FX, you'd have a point. However in this case we have characters allegedly saying that photon torpedoes and phasers haven't changed much in the last 200 years or whatever, when in reality, they said nothing of the sort, but were talking about basic principles of transporters, sensors and subspace radio are the same as Scotty knew them, and that impulse engine design had remained fairly fixed for 200 years.
-Mike
I was being facetious. You know that, right?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:39 am

I added a links section, and put SFJ on the main page as an affiliate.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 am

Tyralak wrote:If you see it as a Trek version of SDN, then I have a lot more work to do. It really is the opposite of SDN. They seem poised to suffocate themselves with their own arrogance and pompery. They take themselves and their hobby to vulgar extremes of seriousness. My site is lighter in tone, and has very few rules. I want it to be a place with interesting debate, and discussions of all areas of Sci-Fi. But I also want it to be a place where you can go to just have fun, even if you aren't that into the subject material. That would be the ultimate success. I'll give the example again of TrollKingdom. I'm there daily. I do not consider myself a troll. The art of trollery isn't even all that interesting to me. But I've made friends there, it's never boring, and there's always things to keep me coming back. ASVS was the same way. Even when I tired of the debate, (which happened from time to time.) I went there to argue, talk with friends, read fanfics and catch up on things.

The thing is that you're fighting tyranny with anarchy (to an extent). What you need is a healthy ballance of things with moderators that aren't biased. Take JMD; he allow for fairly loose opinions and debating, so long as you keep it civil and mantain a decent standard. You need to take some of that good moderating and put it to use. That doesn't mean you can't have your own style or preference, but take some of hte good stuff you see and roll with it.

I might even suggest asking him to take up a moderator position or ask him to be an advisor, since he probably dedicates a great deal of time to this site already, so maybe moderating is a bit of a bad choice for him since he won't be able to do much of it, but if you need to an extra hand of if he decides to make regular visits to your site, it's good to have someone you can trust to lend a hand. And I don't just mean people who aren't SW fans. People that you know will be responsible. Mr. O and l33tboli are also good choices if they're up for it.

Your idea of free speech is good, but that doesn't mean you should allow others to abuse that right. If a debate has become nothing but potty words and clever 'yur mamma' insults, then the thread has failed. If a debate is going nowhere because some idiot is evading his responsibilities, then you need someone to step in and tell them that's wrong.

And that's why I would say that O and l33t are good choices; both of them have dealt with people like Leo or Point who play around with bullshit claims, trying to use the letter of canon or the quote to see them through rather than the meaning or the intent. And given their personas, they're capable of backing up and taking a sane take and making an unbiased judgement.

I realized this almost immediately after I put it up. Which is why I added the line to the banner "Free Speech Sci-Fi Community." I am wanting to branch this out into more areas. I have a large off topic area, and am trying to add content to the other Sci-Fi areas. If you have some input or suggestions on what you would like to see that you would enjoy having there, by all means let me know. I'm completely open to suggestions. Why not register and bring some of your ideas to the table?

I would say try and meld them into the concept. The downside is that you'd want to add some other sci-fi to the already nice picture you have, which would be a shame if it didn't work. It depends on how good you are at working that sort of thing. But more so, try to make it a sci-fi chat/debate group. Have a news section where you can post updates to sci-fi popular sci-fi shows or/and events.

For bans that last longer than x amount (say a week), maybe you might need two mods to agree that the one on the block is deserving of a longer sentence. For permabans, I would suggest a larger amount plus your personal approval (barring sock puppets). I would also suggest that having sock puppets is a bad idea, since it allows for a measure of dishonesty. And really, after a while some of us will be able to tell who they are via writing style.

I would also suggest putting up a section focused towards tech analysis and I would suggest asking JMS and 2046 if they wouldn't mind allowing you to post some of their works, perhaps a section devouted to essays on entire subjets. Hell, l33t, Mr. O, and even myself have some rather impressive bits we could add for particularly troublesome arguments that some indivuals push forward.

Putting this into a neat and organized section would mean that many people could go over the arguments and analysis of other, more experienced debators. For that section though, I would suggest a sticky thread(s) where only mods can post, so as to keep a level of quality. Perhaps then you might have another section or those within that section as regular threads for those submitting works. That will allow other members of the board to go over the paper, point out weak points, mistakes, and suggest how to fix it up. When all is said and done, the paper can be tweaked or rewritten to satisfy the level of quality you would like and post it with the rest (you might want separate threads in said section for specific issues, such as weapons, defenses, industry, debate arguments, debating tips, and others that will allow people to learn, not just learn dogma).

This way, you’re not just allowing for free discussion, but enabling people to give free, knowledgeable discussion, rather then letting them run their mouths until someone more experienced spanks their ass around the forum. I would also suggest having a few other moderators. This way, you can encourage growth rather than raw, untamed ideas. Chaos is good for creating ideas, but it has little idea how to use them (ironically enough).

Hell, I would say that making 2046 one of the mods might be a good idea, though I would suggest his be in said threads that show for essays, since a) he has written a good deal of papers on the issue, b) he’s not a loon, and c) he’s very focused on the matter. Of course, I wouldn’t suggest him being the only power or else people are going to accuse him of bias moderation. I would say that essays that get stickied should have a variant of mods looking over it. L33t, Mr. O, and JMS should also help with that sort of thing. Hell, I might even suggest Aratech if he isn’t too put out by the idea, simply so we can have someone who is an SW and Halo fan who isn’t a) batshit crazy b) an asshole, or c) a loon. He might be uncomfortable with the idea however and I wouldn’t suggest that until we have more things in place. But the point is that we need to keep a balance of power, less we let our general conclusions allow bias to corrupt our vision.

And remember, you need stable people who can moderate and make good choices based on the rules, not their opinions. Those stated, especially l33t, Mr. O, JMS, and 2046 are really good choices, especially for the areas selected. Personally, I would put l33t, Mr. O, and yourself (thus far) in charge of the Vs. Debate section, with JMS on hand if you need him.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:11 am

I think there can be a real niche for very different debating environments. If Club ASVS were exactly like SFJ, what would be the point of having two separate boards? There is something to be said for providing an unmoderated forum of discussion, something aside from the idea of a light hand behind the moderator wheel (what I aim for here, and what SDN residents in good standing usually claim is the case there).

True, I would say discussion is more productive when politeness is enforced. But the point of Club ASVS is not actually the same as the point of the SFJ forum. The essays/tech section might turn out to be a very good idea, though. A great deal of thought is evident in Mith's post above, and I applaud that.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:I think there can be a real niche for very different debating environments. If Club ASVS were exactly like SFJ, what would be the point of having two separate boards? There is something to be said for providing an unmoderated forum of discussion, something aside from the idea of a light hand behind the moderator wheel (what I aim for here, and what SDN residents in good standing usually claim is the case there).

True, I would say discussion is more productive when politeness is enforced. But the point of Club ASVS is not actually the same as the point of the SFJ forum. The essays/tech section might turn out to be a very good idea, though. A great deal of thought is evident in Mith's post above, and I applaud that.
Oh certainly I agree with you, but my point is that it would be best to ad a little of your touch, as well as moderation for the rules of debate. I mean, it doesn't have to be a demanded polite section, so much as making sure that someone isn't a) ignoring requirements of debate through flamming and b) make sure that someone isn't just hoping around and using fallacies without fear because they won't get punished. Failure to comply means either the person has conceded the discussion and possibly a ban if the behavior is repetative (from that section only however, allow them to play anywhere else).

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:05 pm

Yeah but that's not what ASVS was. I for one don't think it's a question of moderation only.
Moderation is needed, and a fair one at that, but what matters is what your website proposes that's original or better.

A clone of SB.com, with harsher language, that's pointless. You need to build something else on the website side of things, not just a forum. There has to be a window, a booth or something.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:04 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Yeah but that's not what ASVS was. I for one don't think it's a question of moderation only.
Moderation is needed, and a fair one at that, but what matters is what your website proposes that's original or better.

A clone of SB.com, with harsher language, that's pointless. You need to build something else on the website side of things, not just a forum. There has to be a window, a booth or something.
True, I don't think that a cloen of SB is a good idea either, but what ASVS is now won't last long when people eventually get tired of it and go somewhere else for a broader sense of entertainment.

User1357
Welcome the new member!

Post by User1357 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:20 am

Ugh i hate phpbb *gags*

Anywho just a few comments about ASVS -

1) If someone DID try to invade the board it'd be laughable. Mass delete is a wonder ;) Not to mention I work online so i'd notice it pretty damn fast. (Considering i'm the brains behind the whole tech savvy part of the operation... see i have a spoon! *waves his spoon around*)

2) As for moderators goes - At this point there is no reason to have more. Theres enough to keep flames out of the non flaming forums and moved to the right ones. If people can only come up with yo momma insults to back up a defense then they're just proving their ignorance and stupidity.

Why people think adding bans PER forum is easy I'll never get. Most sites that I've ever worked on (and that list is VERY long) uses a infraction/warning system. After you hit the amount your butt is banned from the entire site for xx amount of days. Normally thats a good enough deterrent and people get the point. But obviously clubasvs runs differently than most so warnings are few and far between.

Threads only fail if people allow them too. Moderators cannot make or break threads (unless they smack rules down on them). So if people continue the flame insults after one person then its their own fault for the thread failing, not a staffer.

Clubasvs is definitely an interesting site compared to others like it out there. With little to no rules it makes it a very easy target for flamers, spammers and what have you but in the end all it does is raise the google page ranking and makes it more popular ^^. Remember there is no such thing as bad publicity :P

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:34 am

Well I decided to take the dopey 'club' out of the title. I always hated it but I couldn't find a straight asvs domain. Anyway, the URL will remain the same. I'm going to try to snap up asvs.com as soon as it becomes available. I'm going to keep the existing urls pointed to the site regardless of whatever other urls I purchase.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Tyr, what's going on with that "loading" thing that keeps double popping every two seconds at the top of my screen while I'm browsing ASVS?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:52 am

Isn't that the text messaging chat window updating?
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Could be. Isn't there a way to dump that thing by ticking some box?

Oh, besides, I tried to obtain the login for my account (can't remember what I entered, assuming it wasn't something given automatically like 3sd35sdf5). I tried the two options but I keep getting an error 2053 or something like that. Puzzling.