Club ASVS is up

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Re: Club ASVS is up

Post by Tyralak » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:47 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Tyralak wrote:*sigh* Well, we're on their radar now. I was kind of hoping this wouldn't happen for a while. I wondered why certain threads had an unusual amount of "guest" views. For those of you with SDN access, here ya go. http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137729
Thinking of it, I'm going to say that you were craving for appearing on their radar.
Oh, absolutely. Just not right away. I was hoping to have a few more months. Wong was right about one thing. ASVS has a lot of "rejects" from SDN and SB. These are good people who have been kicked out for not conforming to the party line. You see, at both of those places, the expected behavior of dissenters is to argue their point, but when the representatives of the party line declare something "over", you are expected to concede and shut up. If you don't, your posts are sent to their hall of shame and/or you get banned. This is what happened to Ali-Sama over the Galacticus issue, and it's happened to countless others. Strowbridge even quit SDN because they were pulling the same crap on him, and he is a pretty ardent Warsie. With the current crackdown on testing and the removal of their House of Commons, in favor of an even more elitist rule, I have a feeling we'll be taking in a whole lot more so-called "rejects".

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:27 pm

Oh, I've been following the thread on 24th century firepower and I noted that you guys failed to call out Enigma on the issue of what Geordi said to Scotty in "Relics". Geordi never says anything about phasers and photon torpedoes. He does, however, state the following:

"Well you know, that's interesting because I was just thinking that a lot of these systems haven't changed much in the last seventy five years. This transporter is basically the same system we use on the Enterprise. Subspace radio and sensors still operate under the same basic principle. Impulse engine design hasn't changed much in the last two hundred years. If it wasn't for all the structural damage, this ship might still be in service today."

So the basic principles of how sensors and subspace radio work are unchanged. and impulse engines have been largely refined to their current state of the art maybe a decade or so after Archer's time. That's it.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Tyralak wrote:*sigh* Well, we're on their radar now. I was kind of hoping this wouldn't happen for a while. I wondered why certain threads had an unusual amount of "guest" views. For those of you with SDN access, here ya go. http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137729
Thinking of it, I'm going to say that you were craving for appearing on their radar.
Oh, absolutely. Just not right away. I was hoping to have a few more months. Wong was right about one thing. ASVS has a lot of "rejects" from SDN and SB. These are good people who have been kicked out for not conforming to the party line. You see, at both of those places, the expected behavior of dissenters is to argue their point, but when the representatives of the party line declare something "over", you are expected to concede and shut up. If you don't, your posts are sent to their hall of shame and/or you get banned. This is what happened to Ali-Sama over the Galacticus issue, and it's happened to countless others. Strowbridge even quit SDN because they were pulling the same crap on him, and he is a pretty ardent Warsie. With the current crackdown on testing and the removal of their House of Commons, in favor of an even more elitist rule, I have a feeling we'll be taking in a whole lot more so-called "rejects".
In their threads, I found the bizarre claim that their moderating allowed for constructive freedom of speech, thus helping debate.
Maybe they should check that Ghost Rider bloke and tell him to shut up then, because he surely keeps closing threads with a passion before they reach the second page.
But Wong has probably put too much work into the SWvST part of his own website to allow it being criticized on a board he pays for.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:02 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
ILikeDeathNote wrote:Production I.G. are the guys who made Ghost in the Shell. Production I.G.. I don't know what the hell PIG is other than small pink mammals that don't fly :P
PIG = Production I. G. ;)
Yeah, I've heard of Production I.G. I'm still wondering who the hell PIG is though :p

(in other words i haet acronyms)

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:08 am

Tyralak wrote: These are good people who have been kicked out for not conforming to the party line.
And for being perverts according to what StarDestroyerAvenger says. I wouldn't know the story behind that.
Mike DiCenso wrote:Oh, I've been following the thread on 24th century firepower and I noted that you guys failed to call out Enigma on the issue of what Geordi said to Scotty in "Relics". Geordi never says anything about phasers and photon torpedoes. He does, however, state the following:

"Well you know, that's interesting because I was just thinking that a lot of these systems haven't changed much in the last seventy five years. This transporter is basically the same system we use on the Enterprise. Subspace radio and sensors still operate under the same basic principle. Impulse engine design hasn't changed much in the last two hundred years. If it wasn't for all the structural damage, this ship might still be in service today."

So the basic principles of how sensors and subspace radio work are unchanged. and impulse engines have been largely refined to their current state of the art maybe a decade or so after Archer's time. That's it.
-Mike

I feel it's worth mentioning that the impulse engines specifically are a main point of contention regarding the Doomsday Machine incident.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:25 am

ILikeDeathNote wrote: I feel it's worth mentioning that the impulse engines specifically are a main point of contention regarding the Doomsday Machine incident.

Yes, it is. Many people still don't get that Kirk states clearly he is talking about a singular impulse engine when he and Spock are discussing the 97.835 megaton overload explosion yeild. Since a Connie has at least 2 impulse engines, you are looking at least 195.67 megatons used to take out the planet killer machine.
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:26 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:Oh, I've been following the thread on 24th century firepower and I noted that you guys failed to call out Enigma on the issue of what Geordi said to Scotty in "Relics". Geordi never says anything about phasers and photon torpedoes. He does, however, state the following:

-Mike
Good catch, Mike. I honestly haven't watched that episode in a few years, so my memory was fuzzy on it. I will definitely bring it up there now.

EDIT: Posted and gave proper credit.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:57 am

You're welcome. But that one was a freebie. The next time you have to do your own homework. ;-)
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:31 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:You're welcome. But that one was a freebie. The next time you have to do your own homework. ;-)
-Mike
As soon as a few things settle down in RL, I'll be spending more time catching up on the old episodes. :D

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:35 am

I'm still curious about all the constant references StarDestroyerAvenger made to being perverts. Is this something that should make me have second thoughts about registering there?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:38 am

Much of that doesn't require re-watching the episodes, just going through transcripts, like Chrissie's Transcripts (also known as Chakoteya.net). :-)
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:14 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:I'm still curious about all the constant references StarDestroyerAvenger made to being perverts. Is this something that should make me have second thoughts about registering there?
Don't take anything that clown says seriously.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:15 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Much of that doesn't require re-watching the episodes, just going through transcripts, like Chrissie's Transcripts (also known as Chakoteya.net). :-)
-Mike
Excellent. Bookmarked for future reference.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:Much of that doesn't require re-watching the episodes, just going through transcripts, like Chrissie's Transcripts (also known as Chakoteya.net). :-)
-Mike
But if it's just transcripts, then it's all dismissible evidence, because it's all dialogue and no visuals!

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:30 pm

If the discussion were one on special FX, you'd have a point. However in this case we have characters allegedly saying that photon torpedoes and phasers haven't changed much in the last 200 years or whatever, when in reality, they said nothing of the sort, but were talking about basic principles of transporters, sensors and subspace radio are the same as Scotty knew them, and that impulse engine design had remained fairly fixed for 200 years.
-Mike