SB.com: Improving or not?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri May 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:The closest thing in TCW to an ICS-level display of power that I can think of off-hand is Grievious' Munificent's shields being able to take the modest-speed impacts of 60 meter asteroids... however those shields came at a price of diverting all shield power from the aft shields and doubling up the forward ones.
Dude, that example peaks at about one terajoule of kinetic energy, which is about a fourth of a kiloton of TNT. The ICS suggests that the Munificent-class Frigates can deal with a per second bombardment in the triple-digit teraton range, or in terms of terajoules, about: 400,000,000,000 terajoules per second.

...The asteroid incident doesn't even come close.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 08, 2009 3:09 pm

mojo wrote:i know this is kind of irrelevant, but the clone wars cartoon feels like a kid's show to me, so i wouldn't really take it seriously myself. if that's why they're ignoring it, it makes sense to me. the writing is for crap, it's pretty damn mediocre even for a kid's show imo, and i'm pretty sure they don't have physicists working on the size of explosions and whatnot.
I understand this, I think the show is shit myself, and even pales in comparison to some fan fictions/films, even certain EU books, but these opinions are fairly irrelevant in a technical debate.

Not to say that the pro-ICS crowd has also used comic books as evidence.
That and the people the ICS are aimed at, of course.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri May 08, 2009 3:14 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:The closest thing in TCW to an ICS-level display of power that I can think of off-hand is Grievious' Munificent's shields being able to take the modest-speed impacts of 60 meter asteroids... however those shields came at a price of diverting all shield power from the aft shields and doubling up the forward ones.
Dude, that example peaks at about one terajoule of kinetic energy, which is about a fourth of a kiloton of TNT. The ICS suggests that the Munificent-class Frigates can deal with a per second bombardment in the triple-digit teraton range, or in terms of terajoules, about: 400,000,000,000 terajoules per second.

Indeed.
That's terribly short.

If there were events coming closer to the ICS, that is, above the average TCWS stuff, I'd say:

- Perhaps the Malevolence crash on the moon, indicative of the energy density from the fuel reserves or presently generated power.
- The defense grid around a planet, perhaps indicative of greater range, although we're talking about large planetary stations in the end. Not to say that the latest Essential Guide to weapons and stuff gives planetary turbolasers quite a considerable range, greater than even that of an ion cannon, but it's clearly far above the range values of all capital weapons.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Fri May 08, 2009 11:50 pm

l33telboi wrote:

As I said, it was a close as I could think of. But I didn't say it was anywhere near in the numbers. ;-)
-Mike

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:54 am

Umm, I think I got banned from spacebattles. I'm...not sure why. Completely clueless. Makes me sad.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:24 am

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:Umm, I think I got banned from spacebattles. I'm...not sure why. Completely clueless. Makes me sad.
It has to do with the server change. Some people got banned for some odd reason, I'll bring it up in the tech thread where you're supposed to report these sorts of things.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:29 am

I thank you for that, but I have actually logged in and posted since the server change, so I don't think that is the reason, unless I misunderstood you. On the other hand, I never really flame or troll, so who knows.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:30 am

Strange, I'm getting a 403 Forbidden. o0

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:37 am

The 403? Yeah, I'm getting it too. But I'm pretty sure Airlocke's banning was accidental. I saw a number of people reporting weird bannings after the server change, and it was said it was due to the new server or something.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:39 am

I don't suppose the mods can overrule it, can they?

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:45 am

The bannings were purely accidental. All the mods have to do is unban someone.

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:47 am

Well, right now I'm getting the 403. Thought that meant a ban. That is the page I got when I got banned from another website for swearing...

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:50 am

No, the 403 in this case means the server is acting up. You can read the site just fine if you're banned. And everybody is getting the 403.

Mith
Starship Captain

Post by Mith » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:52 am

l33telboi wrote:The bannings were purely accidental. All the mods have to do is unban someone.
Well...I'm fucked.

=p

Meh, I guess all we can do is wait until they can fix it.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:56 am

I think some are a bit confused.

The 403 error people are getting right now is not from being banned. It's a server error, and everyone, everyone is getting it. It'll be some time and SB will be up again.

The ban error I mentioned earlier is something completly different. When they switched servers, some people were banned in the process because of a server hickup. That should since have been corrected.