Based on mounting evidence has SDN become irrelevant?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:06 am

Kane Starkiller wrote:That you've developed a slightly unhealthy obsession with SDN ever since you've been unceremoniously booted out of the place?
SDN has 338,000 posts in Star Trek, Star Wars and STvSW forums combined compared to 433,000 posts in "News and Politics" alone and over 1.6 million posts in non fiction section total.
10 most prolific posters on SDN account for 11.08% of total post count while 5 most prolific posters on SFJ account for over 44%.
The most active forum on SDN is "Off Topic" which accounts for about 22% of the total forum posts while the most active SFJ forum "Trek/Wars" accounts for 46% of the posts. It's obvious that SDN is far less dependent on individual members or individual topics.
That does not prove that the website is not declining.

Kane Starkiller wrote:And who was it that financed Jihadists in Afghanistan during the 70s to fight the evil communists? Who was it that crushed Saddam's ruthless but secular rule and opened the space for Jihadists? Oh that's right good ole USA.
Oops you missed one Jedi!

I will reply to this in it's now proper thread...

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:35 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: SDN talking about morals is the same as Iran and North Korea together speaking about human rights but then again it is that kind of crowd anyway...
I don't recall Iran invading any country recently. Contrary to some superpower... so just try to avoid saying such things.
Did you just publicly reply to (a) a frakking joke in (b) a generally non-political thread by (c) defending the human rights records of Iran and North Korea and (d) attacking the US reputation on human rights by equating an invasion with a human rights violation, then after that trail of absurdity (e) have the gall to tell a fellow poster to "just try to avoid saying such things"?

Dude. Seriously.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:04 am

We now have two threads on this topic, both in the "Other" forum.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:45 am

2046 wrote:Did you just publicly reply to (a) a frakking joke in (b) a generally non-political thread by (c) defending the human rights records of Iran and North Korea and (d) attacking the US reputation on human rights by equating an invasion with a human rights violation, then after that trail of absurdity (e) have the gall to tell a fellow poster to "just try to avoid saying such things"?

Dude. Seriously.
Yep that's what got all this huge avalanche running into 2 threads now! Fun isn't it?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:43 am

2046 wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote:
PunkMaister wrote: SDN talking about morals is the same as Iran and North Korea together speaking about human rights but then again it is that kind of crowd anyway...
I don't recall Iran invading any country recently. Contrary to some superpower... so just try to avoid saying such things.
Did you just publicly reply to (a) a frakking joke in (b) a generally non-political thread by (c) defending the human rights records of Iran and North Korea and (d) attacking the US reputation on human rights by equating an invasion with a human rights violation, then after that trail of absurdity (e) have the gall to tell a fellow poster to "just try to avoid saying such things"?

Dude. Seriously.
Neocon humour, I suppose? God, how could I miss that!
Not only Punk demonstrated once again a completely over the top hatred of SDN, literally comparing them to Iran and North Korea, which was just plain stupid, but I also don't see why that kind of bigotry should remain uncriticized.

Now, the guys who decide where to send the US army don't give a shit about human rights.
The point, it's the Iranians' country, and as long as they're fucked up in their own country and no place else, it's their call and their own, and the only way to change this is an illegal war, again.

This country would have probably not been such a mess if instead of weakening Mossadeq and bringing him down with Operation Ajax, the US had tried to water down tensions and supported him, and tried to infiltrate Iran on the long term. Considering Mossadeq's clear anti-imperialist position, he'd have probably kept warm relations at best, so long term was most likely the only likely option.

We know that the Shah's heir, Prince Pahlavi, could resume the reign of his father under certain conditions if, for some reasons, a war was waged in Iran and a decade later, the country got cleansed like Iraq was. This is, of course, completely unlikely. More than anything, an attack on Iran would trigger a rise of tensions in the entire region.
Still, pretending that a sort of NATO supervised peace could be brought into Iran, I don't hold my hopes high if the Prince's going to be the front figure, once the place is sanitized by the US, since the Shah was largely acting with the support of the US, and in the interests of the US and Britain, and neither the CIA nor the UK cared much about Shah's almost totalitarian-smelling politics, dismissal of growing poverty and, later, his terrorizing SAVAK (yeah, talk about human rights and political stability).

And just like if the US couldn't settle on a disaster after Ajax, they had to let the Islamic Revolution roll. They supported Khomeini because they didn't want to see Commies coming in the region, and that despite knowing the Ayatollah was firmly acting against the Shah's White Revolution, probably one of the few positives programmes the king had. Hell, it would appear that the Shah was even allowing some human rights organizations to monitor a couple of things in his country, including prisons, but I suppose this wasn't enough.
Isn't it even sad that among the many influential constitutionalist, communist and marxist groups, it had to be the islamist group which won the ticket?

The US had a very poor understanding of the situation over there. There plenty of liberals and even agnostics to fill the Prime Minister's shoes before it was too late. But instead, they let the Shah crumble, panic and pass martial law, along other terrible decisions.
Still, the guy was also becoming more nationalist and if what I discovered on wiki is true, he even publicly decried the strong influence of US Jews in the US media and finance, and also said that "half of the arms to Iran were "being supplied or arranged by Israel".

Hell, even that wacko of Zbigniew Brzezinski has said in 2006 not to attack Iran, and that was wise. But it seems he may have changed his mind, and Israel is clearly pushing for an attack.

For good or for bad, we'll see, but don't pretend human rights ever were a fucking concern to the US, you'd be lying to yourself.
Oil (BP's and Halliburton's interests) and geostrategy are all that truly matter on the larger scale. Stability is only a relevant factor if it helps the former two.

Kane Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Kane Starkiller » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:58 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:It's obviously more dependent on individual members here because it's a much smaller community. We have about 1/30th as many registered and activated member accounts. It's also much more tightly focused, as we have mentioned before.

Contrast: Those top 5 posters on SFJ also represent about 5% of the total posters that have made posts on SFJ. As SDN, IIRC, regularly purges 0 post members, may I ask this question of you:

What percentage of total posts are made by the 180 most active members on SDN? More or less than 46%?
I never tried to calculate that but it also wasn't my point. My point was that SDN is far less likely to be shut down than SFJ for example.

Jedi Master Spock wrote:Addressing directly the thesis, I think that we have seen a steady drain of respect for SDN on other forums, e.g., SB.com. Perhaps it is a case of familiarity breeding contempt.
I didn't notice any such thing. Or more accurately I don't remember SB ever displaying some kind of respect for SDN which could be drained. VS crowd always attacked SDN and it's perceived bias. In fact there are examples of people like Alyeska and Chris O'Farrel actually conceding the vs debate. I can't remember anyone from SDN conceding to someone from SB.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:10 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
2046 wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: I don't recall Iran invading any country recently. Contrary to some superpower... so just try to avoid saying such things.

Dude. Seriously.
Neocon humour, I suppose? God, how could I miss that!
Not only Punk demonstrated once again a completely over the top hatred of SDN, literally comparing them to Iran and North Korea,
Did you just compound your prior absurdities and offenses by taking the joke even more seriously than you had before, missing the point by an even wider margin, to the point that you absurdly claim he was trying to compare SDN and NK seriously and realistically?

And did you then spew all manner of anti-US trolling based on what you "discovered on wiki{pedia}"?

Dude!

To coin a phrase, "just try to avoid saying such things."

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Can we please keep the political discussion in "Other?"
Kane Starkiller wrote:I never tried to calculate that but it also wasn't my point. My point was that SDN is far less likely to be shut down than SFJ for example.
I know, but I'm curious!
I didn't notice any such thing. Or more accurately I don't remember SB ever displaying some kind of respect for SDN which could be drained. VS crowd always attacked SDN and it's perceived bias. In fact there are examples of people like Alyeska and Chris O'Farrel actually conceding the vs debate. I can't remember anyone from SDN conceding to someone from SB.
Alyeska and Chris O'Farrell are part of my point. See, you have people from SB.com listening to people from SDN, agreeing with their arguments, agreeing with the use of the ICS, et cetera. A concession from a SB.com resident to SDN is a show of respect. I don't see that same measure of respect now.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:08 pm

2046 wrote:Did you just compound your prior absurdities and offenses by taking the joke even more seriously than you had before, missing the point by an even wider margin, to the point that you absurdly claim he was trying to compare SDN and NK seriously and realistically?
Yes. And for quite a good reason, because Punk has displayed a rampant hatred of SDN to the point it's been idiotic and has provided zero betterment for any thread, and because if this was humour, it was just plain non funny.
And did you then spew all manner of anti-US trolling based on what you "discovered on wiki{pedia}"?
I discovered some parts, or details about Pahlavi. It's literally absurd and big headed to pretend I could know all. I'm fairly curious and ready to reconsider my positions, and not ashamed to say that yes, I could have learned something on wiki, even if know how wiki is a disputed source of info. That's also why my formulation was cautious.

Now, what you call trolling is an ensemble of facts, which many respected and educated people have written on, which you can verify on your own, and which have been confirmed left and right.
I have no patience with people like you being incapable of accepting the slightest critique of their own sweet country and live in such denial, that it explains why we're still overly primitive, that since eons, and for the future to come apparently.
We had books. Now we have internet. You just have no excuse to be so fucking clueless and remain hard nosed in those petty political struggles between supposedly opposed sides which drain the mind's energy on pointless bickering.
The sooner you realize that, the better. Actually, the sooner hundreds of millions realize that, the better.
Now, this is clearly getting out of bounds, and I'll cut the pseudo-political crap right now.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:Now, this is clearly getting out of bounds, and I'll cut the pseudo-political crap right now.
Yes, it is. Thank you.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:52 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
2046 wrote:Did you just compound your prior absurdities and offenses by taking the joke even more seriously than you had before, missing the point by an even wider margin, to the point that you absurdly claim he was trying to compare SDN and NK seriously and realistically?
Yes. And for quite a good reason, because Punk has displayed a rampant hatred of SDN to the point it's been idiotic and has provided zero betterment for any thread
So he's been a bit over the top at times. I can see where you're coming from there, whether or not you're right on that point. But that's no reason to embarrass yourself by having some sort of leftist flip-out session in a generally non-political thread.

I mean, if you were hanging out at a forum on a non-political topic and folks had right-wing flip-outs all the time, how would you feel?

Punk's joke which tangentially referred to the internationally-known human rights abuses of North Korea (you can look it up on your primary information source of Wikipedia) was not some right-wing flip-out or a targeted attempt to make you uncomfortable. You could have made the same joke. It wasn't left or right. And it would've been just as amusing and contextually proper.

Instead you interjected your leftist stuff into the thread, embarrassing yourself and just generally making the thread icky, like poop was smeared on it. Indeed, it seems you even agree that politics poop was involved:
I'll cut the pseudo-political crap right now.
Thanks! That's all I was aiming for.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 pm

The reason I made the analogy is because the way SDN is run is basically like the virtual version of a police state where you have secret police and informants watching your every move and they are itching at the opportunity to get their pound of flesh one way or the other. Hence why I chose North Korea and The Islamic Republic of Iran as examples.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 am

PunkMaister wrote:The reason I made the analogy is because the way SDN is run is basically like the virtual version of a police state where you have secret police and informants watching your every move and they are itching at the opportunity to get their pound of flesh one way or the other. Hence why I chose North Korea and The Islamic Republic of Iran as examples.
So you see, dear RSA, that the degree of "humour" could easily be lost. ;)

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:03 am

• That was funny.

After all, what was said between Mr. Oragahn and 2046, PunkMaister has to open his mouth and exclude all possibility of doubt that he is an idiot.

Please excuse that statement, that could be considered as an insult, Jedi Master Spock. But I couldn't resist to state the obvious.

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:47 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:The reason I made the analogy is because the way SDN is run is basically like the virtual version of a police state where you have secret police and informants watching your every move and they are itching at the opportunity to get their pound of flesh one way or the other. Hence why I chose North Korea and The Islamic Republic of Iran as examples.
So you see, dear RSA, that the degree of "humour" could easily be lost. ;)
You're not still arguing about this, are you? You know it's a website, right? Punk even said "virtual version".

"Oragahn, dude, this website is like Hawaii in summer 1956" does not mean you should expect sunshine and perfect weather to flow out of your frickin' monitor any more than you should expect jack-booted thugs to step on your neck if you go to bbs.stardestroyer.net.