Wong's education and career

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:15 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote: And it seems to show, that Mike Wrong isn't such a good engineer as he believes himself to be.
You do know what he engineers, don't you? He designs toilet seats. I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not kidding. It's so deliciously appropriate.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Tyralak wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote: And it seems to show, that Mike Wrong isn't such a good engineer as he believes himself to be.
You do know what he engineers, don't you? He designs toilet seats. I'm not being sarcastic, and I'm not kidding. It's so deliciously appropriate.
I would comment, but that would only drive this thread off-topic :p

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Tyralak wrote:
He does? Really? Where and how did you find that out?
-Mike

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:27 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Tyralak wrote:
He does? Really? Where and how did you find that out?
-Mike
He mentioned it himself in SDN a while back. I went back to find it, and I was slightly mistaken. I suppose I mis-remembered. (Is that a word?) He doesn't work designing toilet seats. He's an assistant engineer in a toilet paper factory.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:34 am

And, what? How is what he engineers relevant to this discussion? He still completed his engineering education, meaning he's got the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:21 pm

The Corporal wrote:And, what? How is what he engineers relevant to this discussion? He still completed his engineering education, meaning he's got the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education.
It's simply amusing, you humorless Vulcan. And it seems quite appropriate given the utter crap he usually spews.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:26 pm

The Corporal wrote:And, what? How is what he engineers relevant to this discussion? He still completed his engineering education, meaning he's got the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education.
I have to agree, what he designs or engineers is irrelevant, but the fact that he acts like he has a PhD, or that his degree means he's never wrong is.
But you've already acknowledged that, so there's nothing more to be said... :)

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Not necessary.

I don't know the curriculum of an engineer study in Canada, but in Germany it is different for each branch.

And there are many engineering branches:
  • Agricultural Engineering - The engineering principle applications in agricultural fields such as farm power and machinery, biological material process, bioenergy, farm structures as well as agricultural natural resources.
  • Biomedical Engineering - The application of engineering principles and techniques to the medical field.
  • Chemical Engineering - The conversion of raw materials into usable commodities.
    • Ceramic Engineering - Theory and processing of raw oxide material, and advanced material that are polymorphic, polycrystalline, oxide, and non-oxide ceramics
    • Civil Engineering - The design and construction of public and private works, such as bridges and buildings. It has several sub-disciplines
    • Coastal engineering and marine engineering
    • Construction engineering
    • Environmental Engineering - Environmental Engineers are concerned with protecting the environment by assessing the impact a project has on the air, water, soil and noise levels in its vicinity.
    • Genetic engineering
    • Geotechnical engineering
    • Water resources engineering (hydraulic engineering and hydrology)
    • Materials engineering - an interdisciplinary field involving the properties of matter and its applications to various areas of science and engineering
    • Municipal engineering - civil engineering as it specifically concerns municipal issues such as water, wastewater, transportation networks, subdivisions, communications, hydrology, hydraulics, etc.
    • Structural engineering
      • Earthquake engineering, a subset of structural engineering
    • Surveying and geographic information system (GIS)
    • Transportation engineering which is closely related to
    • Traffic engineering (transportation)
    • wind engineering
  • Computer Engineering - The entire process of designing and coding computers and computer related devices.
  • Electrical Engineering - The design of electrical systems, such as transformers, as well as electronic goods.
    • Instrumentation engineering - The design of all electronic instruments.
    • Mechatronics Engineering - A hybrid of mechanical, electrical, and software engineering, intended to examine the design of automation systems.
  • Fire Protection Engineering - is the application of science and engineering principles to protect people and their environments from the destructive effects of fire and smoke.
  • Genetic Engineering - The design and development process of integrating genes and DNA segments from one species with another species.
  • Industrial Engineering - The design and analysis of logistical and resource systems.
    • Manufacturing engineering - The ability to plan the practices of manufacturing, to research and develop the tool, processes, machines and equipment, and to integrate the facilities and systems for producing quality products with optimal expenditure.
      • Component Engineering - The process of assuring the availability of suitable components required to manufacture a product
  • Mechanical engineering - The design of physical or mechanical systems, such as engines, kinematic chains, and vibration isolation equipment.
    • Vehicle Engineering - The design of vehicles
      • Automotive Engineering - The design of automobiles
      • Aerospace Engineering - The design of aircraft, spacecraft and related topics.
  • Military Engineering - Primarily concerned with warfare, military engineering encompasses mobility, counter-mobility, survivability, and general engineering tasks.
  • Mining Engineering - The exploration and extraction of raw materials from the earth, include ore reserves such as coal, metals, non-metals, aggregates, sand, and gravel. Proceeding extraction applying mineral processeng that includes ore size reduction, multiple classification, benefication, calcining, sintering, and other value adding processes
  • Nuclear Engineering - Application of the breakdown of atomic nuclei and/or other sub-atomic physics, based on the principles of nuclear physics.
  • Software Engineering (similar to Computer Science) - The design and development of software for use in digital systems
  • Test Engineering - The application of one (or more) engineering branch or one (or more) pure scientific discipline for the sole purpose of validation and verification of design, development, production, and/or maintenance of object under test.
Somehow I doubt, that in Canada the curriculum for all these branches are the same.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:12 pm

They're probably very closely related, since an Engineering degree from Canada seems to be recognized all over the world, and degrees from Germany seem as valid here...

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Whoa! Why are people bashing Wong or whoever on a thread that is just supposed to be about fanfiction? There is already an SDN bashing thread here people, do try to keep things clean...

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:24 pm

The Corporal wrote:
Who is like God arbour wrote:*snip*
If you had bothered to read my post you would have found your bloody answer right in there and not have wasted the bandwidth you just did. Here I'll even bold the important bits.
I wrote: And, what? How is what he engineers relevant to this discussion? He still completed his engineering education, meaning he's got the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education.
If you had bothered to read my post you would have found that even mechanical engineering has different branches:
  • Mechanical engineering - The design of physical or mechanical systems, such as engines, kinematic chains, and vibration isolation equipment.
      • Aerospace Engineering - The design of aircraft, spacecraft and related topics.
And there is more: In addition to the core mechanical engineering curriculum, many mechanical engineering programs offer more specialized programs and classes, such as robotics, transport and logistics, cryogenics, fuel technology, automotive engineering, biomechanics, vibration, optics and others, if a separate department does not exist for these subjects.

That means, that Mr. Wrong does not have to have the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education. Unless you understand equivalent education as the same education. But that would mean, that your sentence would make no sense.

The Corporal wrote:At this point I think it would benefit us all if you would simply stop posting. You've brought nothing to the forum since you've joined except yet more SDN bashing, homophobia and a large portion of attitude.
That's your opinion.

And in my opinion, it's a unfounded opinion.

I can show you enough posts from me, where I have not mentioned SDN. There are even posts from me, which have nothing to do with Star Trek or Star Wars. Insofar, your assertion that I have brought nothing to the forum but more SDN bashing, homophobia and a large portion of attitude, is simply wrong.

But maybe you could show, where I have shown any homophobic tendencies - or where I have shown a large portion of attitude. Then, the second and third part of your assertion would be right at least.

But I would guess, that you are not able to do even that.

On the other side, I can't see your contributions for that forum.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:30 pm

• The Corporal:

Please excuse me for the scond part of my answer. I have thought, that you have said it to me. There was no other name in your quotation:

• Who is like God arbour wrote:

I wrote:

Quote:

I was not sure, what you wanted to say to me with your third quote. But the text under it was understandable.

Only that it was not directed at me.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote: If you had bothered to read my post you would have found that even mechanical engineering has different branches:
My apologies, I find your posts to be less then clear. Still he has always stated himself to be a mechanical engineer, it's on his homepage, on the BBS and IIRC he is listed in his alumni as such. Hence my statement that his mechanical engineering education is the same as a mechanical engineer at another firm of equivilant level. IE: their education is the same.
And there is more: In addition to the core mechanical engineering curriculum, many mechanical engineering programs offer more specialized programs and classes, such as robotics, transport and logistics, cryogenics, fuel technology, automotive engineering, biomechanics, vibration, optics and others, if a separate department does not exist for these subjects.

That means, that Mr. Wrong does not have to have the same mechanical engineering knowledge as an engineer working for any other company with an equivilant education. Unless you understand equivalent education as the same education. But that would mean, that your sentence would make no sense.
What I am saying is that his education is the same as a mechanical engineer at Boeing with a Bachelors. What he designs is irrelevant. And honestly, who gives a shit what he designs? All that matters is it pays the bills.

The Corporal:

Please excuse me for the scond part of my answer. I have thought, that you have said it to me. There was no other name in your quotation:

Who is like God arbour wrote:

I wrote:

Quote:

I was not sure, what you wanted to say to me with your third quote. But the text under it was understandable.

Only that it was not directed at me.
No problem dude. *insert happy smiley here*

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:07 pm

It's not a question what he designs.

For his education, it is important to know, what specialization he has chosen and which courses he has taken.

And the job, he is doing now, is an indicator for the worth of his education. If he would have a good education, he would have a good job. If he would have a bad or average education, he would have a bad or average job.

But to me, even that is relative irrelevant.

It is, as Praeothmin has said. He acts as if his education is something special.

I don't think so. Not only because my education is better, but also because he is only a Bachelor of Applied Science, not a master and no doctor. There is nothing special. But you wouldn't know it, if you speak with him and listen to what he has to say.

And I wanted to show it with my remark:
Who is like God arbour wrote:And it seems to show, that Mike Wrong isn't such a good engineer as he believes himself to be.

It's impossible for sensor signals to get inside through the hull of that ISD, but the warmth, coming from the since only a few hours warmed-up to round about 20 - 25 °C atmosphere inside, is already leaking through it to be detected from outside as infra-red emissions. And not only that: the infra-red emissions of the powering up reactor in the middle of the ship, far away from the hull, can get to and through it and can be detected and their point of origin localised by the Maquis Raider?
      • "Wilson, can you get IR?"

"Yes sir." One of the bridge console displays presently showed an infrared view of the ship.

"What do you see?"

"Sir, it looks warm enough to support a habitable atmosphere inside. And there's a huge heat bloom in the middle of its belly. Must be the main reactor."
That does not speak in favour for a good insulation of the hull.
My thoughts, as I have read his story, was that Mr. I'm such a super engineer errs again on a subject he should know better.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:21 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:It's not a question what he designs.

For his education, it is important to know, what specialization he has chosen and which courses he has taken.

But to me, even that is relative irrelevant.

It is, as Praeothmin has said. He acts as if his education is something special.
Fair enough.
I don't think so. Not only because my education is better, but also because he is only a Bachelor of Applied Science, not a master and no doctor. There is nothing special. But you wouldn't knowt, if you speak with him and listen to what he has to say.
Better how? You both work in totally unrelated fields, your a lawyer correct? That is comparing apples to oranges, even if you have a PhD in law, it is a totally different field.
And I wanted to show it with my remark:
Who is like God arbour wrote:And it seems to show, that Mike Wrong isn't such a good engineer as he believes himself to be.

It's impossible for sensor signals to get inside through the hull of that ISD, but the warmth, coming from the since only a few hours warmed-up to round about 20 - 25 °C atmosphere inside, is already leaking through it to be detected from outside as infra-red emissions. And not only that: the infra-red emissions of the powering up reactor in the middle of the ship, far away from the hull, can get to and through it and can be detected and their point of origin localised by the Maquis Raider?
      • "Wilson, can you get IR?"

"Yes sir." One of the bridge console displays presently showed an infrared view of the ship.

"What do you see?"

"Sir, it looks warm enough to support a habitable atmosphere inside. And there's a huge heat bloom in the middle of its belly. Must be the main reactor."
That does not speak in favour for a good insulation of the hull.
My thoughts, as I have read his story, was that Mr. I'm such a super engineer errs again on a subject he should know better.
Which story is that from?