ASVS/SDN Fanfiction

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

ASVS/SDN Fanfiction

Post by Tyralak » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:49 pm

Since the subject of ASVS has come up lately, I've been wondering if many of you have read some of the great and not-so-great fanfiction that has made up the culture of ASVS. And yes, even SDN. There's also some great roleplaying in the form of TGODS and STGODS. Especially STGOD MK 1 and 2. Dalton has a huge archive of it at his web site. www.daltonator.net. I'd like to see what the group here thinks about the attitudes and general work of the authors of the two groups.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:42 pm

I actually rather like 'The Relic' on SDN (what there is of it anyway). The one about the derelict ISD being found in the Brier Patch, I disagree with most to all of it's versus assertions, but it was using them well, and shaping up to be a decent story.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:55 am

• Do you have a link to it?

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:15 am

Mike's Fanfics page only has "Conquest" and the incomplete "Reign of Terror." "Relic" is indeed absent, and I'm interested with WILGA in knowing more about it.

I'll chime in more about this topic soon; I'll probably just edit this post. It's a very interesting topic ripe for discussion.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Mike's Fanfics page only has "Conquest" and the incomplete "Reign of Terror." "Relic" is indeed absent, and I'm interested with WILGA in knowing more about it.

I'll chime in more about this topic soon; I'll probably just edit this post. It's a very interesting topic ripe for discussion.
Here it is. Dalton has it on his site. http://www.daltonator.net/fanfics/stori ... /relic.txt It's written by Chuck Sonnenburg.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:15 pm

• Are you sure, that's the correct story?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Who is like God arbour wrote:
  • Are you sure, that's the correct story?
Dunno. It's the only Relic I know of, but I didn't frequent the SDN fanfics much, so I'm not sure.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:42 pm

That most certainly is not it given the alien object discovered turns out to be the Apollo 11 lunar lander descent stage. The only thing the two stories share in common is the title.

It would probably just be better to link to the SDN story.
-Mike

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:25 pm

Indeed, Relic appears to be original fiction; the forward even explicitly states that Sonnenberg tried to sell it to Asimov's but they didn't take (I'd suspect it primarily has to do with word count; at a measly count of barely above 2,500 minus the ASVS-specific forward[EDIT: I need to learn to count; it turns out it's only 2,350 words exactly, minus the forward but including title, author's name and copyright notice], it's well below the threshold of Analog's, what, 7,000 word count requirement? This is of course assuming Asimov's has a similar policy).

It is a very interesting piece of fiction though, I'll say that. Previously I only knew of Sonnenberg through his YouTube channel (SFDebris, which has so far been strictly weekly or bi-weekly reviews of Voyager, Enterprise and the occasional TNG episode); I was aware of his website but only made a few trips to read his written reviews before he started compiling videos. I'm not really interested in his verses fiction, to be honest, but if Relics is any indication reading his original fiction might be interesting.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I'd be very interested in knowing what kinds of attitudes are prevalent though SDN and ASVS fanfiction and roleplay, in regards to the debate, and perhaps even just in general (we would gain a lot of insight into their debate positions if we gained insight into where the sit on things in general; you know, learning what their biases are). Perhaps even we should do the same for their original fiction as well, if they have any (certainly Chuck does, though his original fiction seems to be along the same vein as Relic; very Twilight Zone-y. A lost art, at least outside of the linked page).

Their roleplay stories might be interesting as well, given their free-form nature. We would probably see a lot of development of the authors' own characters through the development of the characters they roleplay with.

...and what the heck is this "TGOD" and "STGOD" as mentioned in the opening post? Is it some sort of peculiar SDN ritual? (sure has a peculiar name; I won't comment on what my uninformed and probably wildly incorrect knee-jerk assumption is :p)

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:18 pm

Oh, and an assessment on the quality of the work independent of any debate analysis might be interesting too.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm

TGOD and STGOD are sort of RPGs where people found really creative ways to kill each other. They stand for The Good Old Days and Structured The Good Old Days. I didn't really participate in them much, but a lot of others did. Enigma, Raycav, Strowbridge, Dalton, etc were really active in them. I guess it was a lot of fun, but I never got into it.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:26 pm

Tyralak wrote:TGOD and STGOD are sort of RPGs where people found really creative ways to kill each other.
That, uh, sounds, uh, interesting.

...should I be surprised?
They stand for The Good Old Days and Structured The Good Old Days.
*shrugs* I still don't follow. What do "The Good Old Days" have to do with anything?

If "The Good Old Days" have to do with creative ways to kill each other...uh, no thanks.
I didn't really participate in them much, but a lot of others did.
I wonder if someone here might be able to fill in on details.

...then again, I wonder if it's wise to even ask. Right now, I'm somewhat leaning towards "no."
Enigma, Raycav, Strowbridge, Dalton, etc were really active in them.
I have no idea who any of those people are. I do recall somewhat frequent references to a "Strowbridge" or "Strow" mainly pertaining to some sort of website the one time I skimmed through ASVS posts using Gooogle's newsgroup reader. I can only assume that "Dalton" is the person behind the "fanfic archive" as indicated in the URL link as seen in previous posts. Everyone else, I have no idea.
I guess it was a lot of fun, but I never got into it.
Uh, ok?

...did these pertain to Star Wars or Star Trek at all?

Dare I ask...was this an accurate gauge of the mindset of people? "Creative ways to kill each other" really has to make me wonder.

Flectarn
Bridge Officer

Post by Flectarn » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:27 pm

sorry for the confusion, I meant reign of terror. It'd been a while since i read it.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:02 pm

Flectarn wrote:sorry for the confusion, I meant reign of terror. It'd been a while since i read it.
Mike Wong no longer seems interested in "Reign of Terror," based on how long the story has remained uncompleted at this early stage. Either that, or he has moved all updates to the boards only.

Who is like God arbour
Starship Captain

Post by Who is like God arbour » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:24 am

Flectarn wrote:sorry for the confusion, I meant reign of terror. It'd been a while since i read it.
OK, I've just finished reading the five chapters. I have to admit, that it is surprisingly well written - from an literary point of view.

From the versus debate point of view it is naturally a hoax.

And it seems to show, that Mike Wrong isn't such a good engineer as he believes himself to be.

It's impossible for sensor signals to get inside through the hull of that ISD, but the warmth, coming from the since only a few hours warmed-up to round about 20 - 25 °C atmosphere inside, is already leaking through it to be detected from outside as infra-red emissions. And not only that: the infra-red emissions of the powering up reactor in the middle of the ship, far away from the hull, can get to and through it and can be detected and their point of origin localised by the Maquis Raider?
      • "Wilson, can you get IR?"

"Yes sir." One of the bridge console displays presently showed an infrared view of the ship.

"What do you see?"

"Sir, it looks warm enough to support a habitable atmosphere inside. And there's a huge heat bloom in the middle of its belly. Must be the main reactor."
That does not speak in favour for a good insulation of the hull.