SDN - The Great Warsie Bread Party

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:16 am

The Corporal wrote:
And yes Mike is an asshole, a snob and a tonne of other things. However he setup the board because he found nanny-boards tiresome and its pretty obvious to me that he did it in a way that wouldn't allow people to get away with the BS they did on ASVS. In other words, your accountable for your actions, just like in RL.
You were accountable for your actions at ASVS too. You acted like a dipshit, you were treated like one. You were ostracized and mocked by your peers. If you didn't go away on your own, people killfiled you. It happened with Timothy Jones. Also known as TOWNMNBS (The One Whose Name Must Not Be Spoken) But you wouldn't know what, because you weren't there. Just remember, without ASVS, SDN, SB.com and this board, along with many many others would not exist. Wong and his disciples didn't like ASVS because they couldn't shut people up who proved their arguments to be laughably wrong.
Last edited by Tyralak on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 am

The Corporal wrote: By accountable I mean that action can be taken against people who debate in bad faith, lie, outright distort or simply repeat things endlessly.

Oh, you mean like Wong did? Oh, and I know what you mean. Someone starts making too much sense, and not acquiescing to the ruling class when said class is shown to be wrong, they can be silenced. That couldn't happen at ASVS. Just take a look at what they did to Ali Sama regarding the Galacticus vs. Palpatine debate. I rest on your face. Er, I mean I rest my case.
The Corporal wrote:On ASVS all one could do was ignore folks.
Precisely. ASVS was pure equality and a truly democratic experience. You became a big enough idiot, people would ignore you. But since you weren't an ASVSer, how would you know? Did you go through the archives, or are you just going off secondhand information from Wong?

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:25 am

The Corporal wrote:
On another note, nice thread title. Real nice of the dude from ASVS to imply that SW fans are gay.
SW fans aren't gay. Everyone knows they're into other things. ;)
Last edited by Tyralak on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:46 am

Tyralak wrote:SW fans aren't gay. Everyone knows they're into bestiality. ;)
It's hard for anybody to think that you're serious when you start talking about bestiality, but really, that's not going to go anywhere productive, either.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:23 am

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
Tyralak wrote:SW fans aren't gay. Everyone knows they're into bestiality. ;)
It's hard for anybody to think that you're serious when you start talking about bestiality, but really, that's not going to go anywhere productive, either.
Sorry. I was just making a sardonic quip. Just meant to get a chuckle out of him, and lighten things up a bit. Hence the wink.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 am

Tyralak wrote:
Precisely. ASVS was pure equality and a truly democratic experience. You became a big enough idiot, people would ignore you. But since you weren't an ASVSer, how would you know? Did you go through the archives, or are you just going off secondhand information from Wong?
I can read on my thank you very much.

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:23 pm

The Corporal wrote: I can read on my thank you very much.
Can't write very well though. Also, just how much have you read? Of the hundreds of thousands of posts in the 11 1/2 years of ASVS's existence, how much have you waded through? There were times when the volume of posts per day numbered in the hundreds. Strowbridge alone had a prodigious post count.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:31 pm

Tyralak wrote:Can't write very well though.
Can you just quit it with the personnal flaming, and stick to the subject at hand?
We keep talking about how SDN is so bad, and these last days, I've seen much of what I despise about that board right here.
Jesus...

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Tyralak wrote:Can't write very well though.
Can you just quit it with the personnal flaming, and stick to the subject at hand?
We keep talking about how SDN is so bad, and these last days, I've seen much of what I despise about that board right here.
Jesus...
*confused look* That isn't a flame. Not even close. Please don't have such a thin skin. We're just poking each other a bit. I don't have any animosity toward him, and I'm sure he doesn't toward me. It's all in good fun.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:10 pm

Let's hope so, I've seen many such "pokings" turn into flames in the long run, and since I really don't want to see that here, I react quickly when I see it happen...

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight
Jedi Knight

Post by Airlocke_Jedi_Knight » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:28 pm

But flames bring warmth to a cold environment. ;)

Tyralak
Bridge Officer

Post by Tyralak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Airlocke_Jedi_Knight wrote:But flames bring warmth to a cold environment. ;)
So toasty toasty warm. :)

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 pm

Tyralak wrote:
The Corporal wrote: I can read on my thank you very much.
Can't write very well though. Also, just how much have you read? Of the hundreds of thousands of posts in the 11 1/2 years of ASVS's existence, how much have you waded through? There were times when the volume of posts per day numbered in the hundreds. Strowbridge alone had a prodigious post count.
I have read more then a few threads over the years; the last time I visited it was snowed under with spam though. Mind you this is some what of a pointless topic, SDN may have owed it’s origins to ASVS but that’s all it owes at this point. The board has grown beyond its original intention.

And here, just to shut your pie hole, I ran this through spell checker.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:34 pm

The Corporal wrote:I personally don't see the point in arguing with a moderator. You're certainly not going to resolve anything by getting into a bitchfest with the one involved in the decision or thread, so why not appeal to an admin
Because the admin very doubtfully even cares what goes on in the versus forum.

The reason to argue with a moderator? Obviously in this case because it was an all-too transparent ploy by one moderator to somehow stop his pet franchise from crumbling in versus debates, and telling him so made him realize that oops, this might just have been a bad idea. To me, it's definitely not a bad thing to be able to argue with the powers that be when they’re being unreasonable. I consider it one of the healthiest signs around when you can do that without fear of being banned instantly. Indeed I do believe most of the modern western societies are built on this very principle and generally it’s those filthy commies that embraces the ‘no debate allowed, just do as you’re told’ mentality.
I certainly never had any luck resolving issues with the RL chain of command by screaming at the guy handing out the message.
First off, Skyzeta in this case wasn’t handing out the message. He was the guy who invented the rule on his own, out of the blue. It was a stopgap measure to try to control the damage the TCW is doing to SW. And military leadership is definitely not something desirable in a forum. Because military protocol dislikes debating things and prefers people doing as they’re told, while a forum is there for the express purpose of debating.

But did you notice something strange in regards to that thread? The new rule Skyzeta came up with was never put into effect. And I think it's safe to say that it's very much because the members said "no."

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:59 am

l33telboi wrote: Obviously in this case because it was an all-too transparent ploy by one moderator to somehow stop his pet franchise from crumbling in versus debates
This is exactly what I was talking about in the other thread. It's not George Lucas' franchise, it's their "pet" franchise.