SDN - The Great Warsie Bread Party

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
The Corporal wrote: And yes Mike is an asshole, a snob and a tonne of other things. However he set up the board because he found nanny-boards tiresome and its pretty obvious to me that he did it in a way that wouldn't allow people to get away with the BS they did on ASVS. In other words, your accountable for your actions, just like in RL.
Accountable? How? It's like he took a number of the very worst traits of ASVS and well... made them worse!
-Mike
Seconded thirded and stamped!

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:04 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote:
Accountable? How? It's like he took a number of the very worst traits of ASVS and well... made them worse!
-Mike
By accountable I mean that action can be taken against people who debate in bad faith, lie, outright distort or simply repeat things endlessly. On ASVS all one could do was ignore folks.
Punkmeister wrote: Seconded thirded and stamped!
Yeah, we get it. You don't like Mike or SDN, you can stop waving your wing-wang around.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:59 pm

Mike DiCenso wrote: Accountable? How? It's like he took a number of the very worst traits of ASVS and well... made them worse!
-Mike
The Corporal wrote: By accountable I mean that action can be taken against people who debate in bad faith, lie, outright distort or simply repeat things endlessly. On ASVS all one could do was ignore folks.
Which, ironically enough, would describe quite well the behavior of some the more infamous of SDN's membership in their versus debating style there and elsewhere.
-Mike

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:27 am

Which, ironically enough, would describe quite well the behavior of some the more infamous of SDN's membership in their versus debating style there and elsewhere.
-Mike
SDN has its share of shitheels, no doubt. Some of them longstanding members or former ASVS cronies. It also has a group of members that are decent, considerate folks. I post mostly in a private military user group anyways and just ignore the elements I don't like.

In fact, that's what I would say the best approach on the board is. As we saw recently there are a fair number of people holding grudges, some almost a decade in length over really trivial shite.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:32 am

The Corporal wrote: SDN has its share of shitheels, no doubt. Some of them longstanding members or former ASVS cronies.
Unfortunately, one way or the other, those people have come to typify in the minds of many outside of SDN what it is all about.
-Mike

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:47 am

The Corporal wrote:
SDN has its share of shitheels, no doubt. Some of them longstanding members or former ASVS cronies. It also has a group of members that are decent, considerate folks. I post mostly in a private military user group anyways and just ignore the elements I don't like.

In fact, that's what I would say the best approach on the board is. As we saw recently there are a fair number of people holding grudges, some almost a decade in length over really trivial shite.
That there some decent folks there I won't deny I encountered them myself before I was banned. It does not preclude the fact that is a piece of crap website dedicated to cater to the most histrionic extremist Warsie fantasies on the surface of the planet.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:49 am

PunkMaister wrote:
That there some decent folks there I won't deny I encountered them myself before I was banned. It does not preclude the fact that is a piece of crap website dedicated to cater to the most histrionic extremist Warsie fantasies on the surface of the planet.
So why did you stay for three years and post over 600 times if it sucked so bad?

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:20 am

Because he's PunkMaister.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:34 am

The Corporal wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
So why did you stay for three years and post over 600 times if it sucked so bad?
600 plus posts in over 4 years is not really all that much i have 1,903 posts back at SB which I joined at about the same time.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:51 am

PunkMaister wrote: 600 plus posts in over 4 years is not really all that much i have 1,903 posts back at SB which I joined at about the same time.
You didn't answer the question.

Because he's PunkMaister.
Of course! It is so obvious, why didn't I see it before? ;)

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:50 pm

The Corporal wrote:
Mike DiCenso wrote:
-Mike
By accountable I mean that action can be taken against people who debate in bad faith, lie, outright distort or simply repeat things endlessly. On ASVS all one could do was ignore folks.
Arguably, boards like SFJN and SBC (despite several "controversies") have reached a middle ground between total lax and indistinct bullying at times.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:57 pm

Actually, I hear that SBC may be worse than SDN in some situations. Of course, this is off-hand information. But it's enough to make me think twice of registering there.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:47 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Actually, I hear that SBC may be worse than SDN in some situations. Of course, this is off-hand information. But it's enough to make me think twice of registering there.
Hell no. Granted that the mods are basically all fans of the same two franchises, and that they sometimes get a little carried away when enforcing the debates, but it's no where near the level of absurdity encountered on SDN. And on SB, people aren't afraid of telling the mods they're being idiots if they are.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm

No offense but I'm still not impressed by the attitudes I see in that thread.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:20 am

l33telboi wrote:
Hell no. Granted that the mods are basically all fans of the same two franchises, and that they sometimes get a little carried away when enforcing the debates, but it's no where near the level of absurdity encountered on SDN. And on SB, people aren't afraid of telling the mods they're being idiots if they are.
Edit: I'm not trying to pick an argument with you l33tboi, your post is just a convenient segue.

I personally don't see the point in arguing with a moderator. You're certainly not going to resolve anything by getting into a bitchfest with the one involved in the decision or thread, so why not appeal to an admin or if you’re on SDN you can bring your case to the Senate. I certainly never had any luck resolving issues with the RL chain of command by screaming at the guy handing out the message.

On another note, nice thread title. Real nice of the dude from ASVS to imply that SW fans are gay.