SDN: To Ender, about Lantean drones

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:52 pm

Alyeska wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:
Alyeska wrote: As already pointed out, the plagiarism charge is very much real. And do you seriously think your little stunt here is going to make me change my mind? Your little spat over the definition of plagiarism and its status in criminal law does not build you any favor with the SD.net administration. Face it, you lost.
No is not because I did gave credit where credit is due and took none for myself.
How many pages late did that take? And you did not give proper credit when you reposted SD.net arguments on SB.com. You already admitted to this.

And this still ignores the fact that you were banned for other reasons as well. As exemplified by your nitpicking argumentation over the criminal status of plagiarism and theft.
Pages late? Before I even mentioned Mr. Oragahn and posted his formula the vidcaps where not from the SB thread but from a YouTube video another SDN user had posted a link too and I was contending that the drones could demolish kilometers wide asteroids. the only thing I copy pasted in that whole thread was his formula and I gave him the due credit.

I do not give a horse's ass about the other reasons after all you made very crystal clear that you and the others did not like me there at all and were itching for the chance to kick me out that is self explanatory.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:55 pm

PunkMaister wrote:I do not give a horse's ass about the other reasons after all you made very crystal clear that you and the others did not like me there at all and were itching for the chance to kick me out that is self explanatory.
Those other reasons are the ones that ultimately got you banned as aptly demonstrated by your continued attitude over here and even your complaint thread that got locked on SB.com.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Alyeska wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:I do not give a horse's ass about the other reasons after all you made very crystal clear that you and the others did not like me there at all and were itching for the chance to kick me out that is self explanatory.
Those other reasons are the ones that ultimately got you banned as aptly demonstrated by your continued attitude over here and even your complaint thread that got locked on SB.com.
Here is the limey Ender charged me with Plagiarizing Mr. Oragahn work something that has been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to be false. Latter on because you knew this to be true you brought up a totally separate incident in which I took partial credit mostly because of my poor wording in that situation. Now while I can admit that I did acted poorly and wrongfully in the SD to SB material exchange that you presented, the fact is and remains that Mr. Oragahn work was not plagiarized as claimed.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:11 pm

l33telboi wrote:Lol. How on Earth could I have missed this thread? Alyeska gets a death threat and then decides to post pictures of himself with guns. That's downright epic right there. By the way, is that even you? I recall you being a lot more 'robust' from the post your picture threads on SB.
I hope we don't need to make specific rules talking about death threats. It's definitely covered in the existing rules, which I thought were fairly clear.

I will say, though, and here's the rub: Isn't it normal procedure to see people copying arguments from other people on the internet? I cannot count the number of times that, when I was debating on ST.com, one of the people arguing for Star Wars winning would copy arguments wholesale from Wong - not verbatim, but nothing more than a paraphrase. And they didn't always reference SDN when doing so.

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
l33telboi wrote:Lol. How on Earth could I have missed this thread? Alyeska gets a death threat and then decides to post pictures of himself with guns. That's downright epic right there. By the way, is that even you? I recall you being a lot more 'robust' from the post your picture threads on SB.
I hope we don't need to make specific rules talking about death threats. It's definitely covered in the existing rules, which I thought were fairly clear.

I will say, though, and here's the rub: Isn't it normal procedure to see people copying arguments from other people on the internet? I cannot count the number of times that, when I was debating on ST.com, one of the people arguing for Star Wars winning would copy arguments wholesale from Wong - not verbatim, but nothing more than a paraphrase. And they didn't always reference SDN when doing so.
To an extent, yes. But in PunkMaisters case he has a history of soliciting others to create arguments for him which he then copies and uses on other boards.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm

PunkMaister wrote:Here is the limey Ender
Now here is an interesting point to consider. "Limey" is an old ethnic slur, but from what I can read, it's not one British people seem particularly offended by. I could see the argument for calling it rude, and I could see the argument for calling it not rude.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:26 pm

Alyeska wrote: To an extent, yes. But in PunkMaisters case he has a history of soliciting others to create arguments for him which he then copies and uses on other boards.
Yes I will admit that I solicit help very often so people can do the math that I cannot. But more often than not I've never taken credit for any of it.
Jedi Master Spock wrote:
PunkMaister wrote:Here is the limey Ender
Now here is an interesting point to consider. "Limey" is an old ethnic slur, but from what I can read, it's not one British people seem particularly offended by. I could see the argument for calling it rude, and I could see the argument for calling it not rude.
Really a slur? I had heard it on TV quite a few times but never as a slur I guess one does learn something new every day...

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:57 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:[
Ender is American, why would he care?

Alyeska
Bridge Officer

Post by Alyeska » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:23 am

Edi has a response to PunkMaister and his claims of persecution. I am just the messenger on this.
Hi,

If you want to shut down PunkMaister's whining as to the reasons why he was banned, you can quote this from me:

Posting any argument verbatim without sourcing it, as he did with Mr. Oragahan's scaling arguments, is unquestionably plagiarism. That's an instaban offense on SDnet. The earlier portions of the thread were not even considered, it was the copying of Oragahn's arguments, the post with the screencaps. Throwing Oragahn's name into the next post in passing the way he did does not constitute giving due credit.

If he had not had a previous history of trolling, nitpicking and general uselessness, he would have gotten a Senate discussion thread with a chance to explain himself in the House of Commons and the probable end of that would have been a title, temp ban or other punishment at the very least. Given his previous history, nothing less than a permanent ban was even considered.

This is in addition to the fact that he previously accused SirNitram of abuse of power without any basis (instant permban offense), but escaped a ban that time. And the sum total of his HoSed threads and earlier behavior by itself would have been enough to permaban him by itself.

So that's three different considerations for a permaban without appeal, pick your poison. Only he managed all three. So he can go fuck himself with a rusty cattleprod. At least his pathetic whining elsewhere has amusement value if nothing else.
There you have it. Edi was the one who banned you and those are his stated reasons.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:38 am

Posting any argument verbatim without sourcing it, as he did with Mr. Oragahan's scaling arguments, is unquestionably plagiarism. That's an instaban offense on SDnet. The earlier portions of the thread were not even considered, it was the copying of Oragahn's arguments, the post with the screencaps. Throwing Oragahn's name into the next post in passing the way he did does not constitute giving due credit.
Those pictures and scalings are PunkMeisters original work. Oragahn already said as much. What the hell is this? You're seriously trying to say PunkMeister plagiarized Oragahn even though he himself denies it? Christ.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 am

l33telboi wrote:
Those pictures and scalings are PunkMeisters original work. Oragahn already said as much. What the hell is this? You're seriously trying to say PunkMeister plagiarized Oragahn even though he himself denies it? Christ.
Indeed the pictures are my own and not Oragahn's as claimed the only thing I did took from Mr Oragahn is his calcs and I gave him the due credit for that, so the only reason they insist on something that is false is simply because is the nature of the scorpion. The truth does not matter to them. And Alyeska you claim you do not care about anything I have to say but you went right back to your SDN overlords to complain about it only to come back with a lame message from one of them and the worst part is you still don't get it! I don't care about the BAN is the false charge of plagiarizing Mr Oraghan work that has been at the center of all this since the beginning and still is! But you simply don't get it so I'll try to run it by you in Spanish instead

A mi me importa un bledo que me hayan suspendido permanentemente de tu estupido y aburrido foro, pero si me importa que me acusen de algo que no hice como ustedes alegan de que plagie el trabajo de Mr Oragahn cuando esto es totalmente falso, pues le di a el su debido credito cuando postee sus calculos, entiendes ahora o no?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:37 am

PunkMaister wrote:Actually and as hard it might be to believe the pics comparing the sizes and all was all indeed my own, I took vidcaps from the YouTube video PREDATOR had posted a link too, at that time I was contending that the asteroids where kilometers wide which turned out to be totally erroneous. But I assure you that those pics and comparisons earlier had nothing to do with your work. When I did finally posted your calcs I did posted who you where and gave the due credit.
I know these pics are yours.
The offending post I suppose, is AFAIAC this one, because it's quite a copycat of this one and that one, and you never said where these opinions came from. They clearly were not yours per se, considering you opened a thread just to syphon arguments.
Just an advice, people don't like it, that's all.
Next time, just say "here's what people have said at SBC (or somewhere else) and I agree with them."

Now, to prove that you were not only making stuff up, it was a good thing to show the sequence about the drone slamming into the ice, and then kicking out in front of the helicopter.
That's for the trip through hundreds of meters of ice, and frankly, my figure was very low end.

Now, if you had respected the rule of citing your sources, and if you had read some of the stuff about the seismic charges in recent threads at SBC (ICS thread notably) or here, in this thread, where it's rather obvious that even if, for some reason, the weapon is capable of generating gigatons of energy, it certainly does not do so upon the initial explosion, considering the rather tame damage caused to asteroids, especially the smaller ones, and it's rather clear that this weapon, a total technobabble one, generates energy as it grows.
The intensity doesn't seem to increase though. Oddly, we'd have to talk in perimeters to properly gauge the edge of this flat disc, but when you consider that a small asteroid, fully split by the wave, don't even expand like mad, the input of energy cannot exceed the gigajoule region for such small asteroids, and gives an idea of the power per meter, on the perimeter.
Of course, with bigger asteroids, and thus greater masses, we start to see matter heating up because the cracking rock doesn't expand fast enough.

It's extremely clear that the intensity of the disc over one meter of its edge is low, and there are large chances that this weapon would fail at damage armours and above all shields.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:39 am

PunkMaister wrote:
l33telboi wrote:
Indeed the pictures are my own and not Oragahn's as claimed the only thing I did took from Mr Oragahn is his calcs and I gave him the due credit for that, so the only reason they insist on something that is false is simply because is the nature of the scorpion. The truth does not matter to them. And Alyeska you claim you do not care about anything I have to say but you went right back to your SDN overlords to complain about it only to come back with a lame message from one of them and the worst part is you still don't get it! I don't care about the BAN is the false charge of plagiarizing Mr Oraghan work that has been at the center of all this since the beginning and still is! But you simply don't get it so I'll try to run it by you in Spanish instead

A mi me importa un bledo que me hayan suspendido permanentemente de tu estupido y aburrido foro, pero si me importa que me acusen de algo que no hice como ustedes alegan de que plagie el trabajo de Mr Oragahn cuando esto es totalmente falso, pues le di a el su debido credito cuando postee sus calculos, entiendes ahora o no?
Don't forget that you're a noname at SDN, but it didn't prevent you from wearing the mod hat on page 2 or 3, which Ghost Rider didn't dig much.

As for the letters above, really, that's totally over the top. Why don't you try it in Latin btw?

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:49 am

Alyeska wrote:Edi has a response to PunkMaister and his claims of persecution. I am just the messenger on this.
Hi,

If you want to shut down PunkMaister's whining as to the reasons why he was banned, you can quote this from me:

If he had not had a previous history of trolling, nitpicking and general uselessness, he would have gotten a Senate discussion thread with a chance to explain himself in the House of Commons and the probable end of that would have been a title, temp ban or other punishment at the very least. Given his previous history, nothing less than a permanent ban was even considered.

This is in addition to the fact that he previously accused SirNitram of abuse of power without any basis (instant permban offense), but escaped a ban that time. And the sum total of his HoSed threads and earlier behavior by itself would have been enough to permaban him by itself.

So that's three different considerations for a permaban without appeal, pick your poison. Only he managed all three. So he can go fuck himself with a rusty cattleprod. At least his pathetic whining elsewhere has amusement value if nothing else.
There you have it. Edi was the one who banned you and those are his stated reasons.
Err... three pages later on this thread, after the OP precisely STATES that the pics were RJLC's and no one else as far as we can tell, pretty much proves that the final argument for the ban is wrong.
That said, I won't comment on the other reasons, since I don't know anything about them.

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:30 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Edi has a response to PunkMaister and his claims of persecution. I am just the messenger on this.
Hi,

Err... three pages later on this thread, after the OP precisely STATES that the pics were RJLC's and no one else as far as we can tell, pretty much proves that the final argument for the ban is wrong.
That said, I won't comment on the other reasons, since I don't know anything about them.
Well my argument has not been about the BAN itself but obviously false accusation of having plagiarized your calculations... I really could care less about them banning me but falsely accusing me of something I clearly did not do now that I take to heart...