SDN's relationship with SB and SFJ

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:29 am

The Corporal wrote: I seriously doubt that, Lucas seems more interested in telling a story and what looks cool than anything overly technical
I've only been trying to get that into people's heads here since I first came here.

Doesn't seem to be working too well.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:57 pm

It's probably not working too well because most people already understand that here. Of course Lucas doesn't write technical. When he does, like the awful explanation for the Force being the result of little microscopic lifeforms called "Midichlorians", it fails rather spectacularly.
-Mike

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:45 am

Mike DiCenso wrote:It's probably not working too well because most people already understand that here. Of course Lucas doesn't write technical. When he does, like the awful explanation for the Force being the result of little microscopic lifeforms called "Midichlorians", it fails rather spectacularly.
-Mike
*groan* He didn't actually come up with that?

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:28 am

Yes, he did.
-Mike

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:44 pm

If he didn't, he'd still be the one who finally greenlighted it anyway.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Mr. Oragahn wrote:If he didn't, he'd still be the one who finally greenlighted it anyway.
I'd like to think that had someone else been in charge of that and come up with a better idea he would have gone with the other one.

ILikeDeathNote
Jedi Knight

Post by ILikeDeathNote » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 am

Keep in mind this is the same guy who supposedly rejected hundreds of scripts until he finally got what he wanted - geriatric Indy chasing after aliens.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:33 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Keep in mind this is the same guy who supposedly rejected hundreds of scripts until he finally got what he wanted - geriatric Indy chasing after aliens.

Reminds me that I still didn't watch it.

Aliens influencing human older civilizations is a premise that's behind a LOT of fictions.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:24 pm

ILikeDeathNote wrote:Keep in mind this is the same guy who supposedly rejected hundreds of scripts until he finally got what he wanted - geriatric Indy chasing after aliens.
Meh, that doesn't bother me. Indy's coolness far out weighs crappy plots.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:54 am

The Corporal wrote:
Meh, that doesn't bother me. Indy's coolness far out weighs crappy plots.
Ooh. I really was about to stab myself after watching fractions of the second Indy.

The Corporal
Bridge Officer

Post by The Corporal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:56 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote:
Ooh. I really was about to stab myself after watching fractions of the second Indy.
Yeah that one was bad but I like the monkey brains bit.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:05 am

Speaking of Indy, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles TV series was actually pretty good.
-Mike

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm

OK, the next one who bashes Indy gets his a** handed to him... ;)

Seriously though, although the first Indy (Raiders of the Lost Ark) was excellent, the second one (Temple of Doom) was somewhat less good, but they got right back up with the third movie (The Last Crusade).
I mean, Indy Senior and Junior?
Harrison Ford and Sean Connery (my name is Jones, Henry Jones)?
How can you beat that?

Still haven't seen the last one, know about the aliens, don't care, will see it anyways... :)

PunkMaister
Jedi Knight

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:12 pm

l33telboi wrote:
Trinoya wrote:SFJ is most likely the most active vs site on the net at the moment in so far as we still attempt to analyze it.
Depends. When it comes to SW specifically, SB wins. Because at any given moment there's at least one thread that has pitted SW against something else. ST threads aren't that many though. And SW vs ST threads have dwindeled a lot recently.
That is probably because it's a subject that has been discussed to death and beyond. Which is why SW is now pitted against other Scifiverses instead. Personally I much prefer SW vs SG scenarios lot's of unexplored territory there.

Estrecca
Padawan

Post by Estrecca » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:51 pm

Estrecca wrote:Darth Wong: 2.3% / Admiral Kanos: 0.09%
This thing that I posted a while back got me thinking.

The Darth Wong account has been active for 2,562 days. It has been used to post 65,400 times. The Admiral Kanos admin account has been used to post 2,530 times in the same period.

In addition, Mike Wong seems to have been a member of this community where he posted 2300 times. And his profile in the Total War forums tells us that he posted there 4,000 times in a little over eighteen months of activity.

In other words, in the last seven years he has posted about 74,000 times in these three forums. Supposing that each of these took him a minute in average (something I would only believe if he happens to be Wally West in disguise), he has devoted over fifty complete days of his life to this activity. If it takes him five minutes in average (more realistic assumption, although probably still conservative), this figure jumps to the best part of a year or roughly 10% of his time for the last seven years. About two and a half hours a day.

Frankly, that's a lot of free time spent in front of a screen for someone who has a full time job and an active family life to deal with. Particularly because this doesn't include time spent doing private messages, writing e-mails, playing games...