Most vicious fanbases? Most Loud mouthed?

Did a related website in the community go down? Come back up? Relocate to a new address? Install pop-up advertisements?

This forum is for discussion of these sorts of issues.
Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Re: Most vicious fanbases? Most Loud mouthed?

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Praeothmin wrote:
Holy Crap!
Did you sit on the stick that was up SWST's ass or what?
THE POINT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO AKS WHO WERE THE LOUDEST AND RUDEST DEBATERS, NOT WHETHER WHAT THEY DEBATED WAS RIGHT OR WRONG...
Get it?
It doens't matter whether what they debate is, or even if they were 100% right (they aren't, of course)... ;)
What matters if the way they debate, LIKE IF THEY ALWAYS USE CAPSLOCK, FOR EXAMPLE, OR CALL YOU NAMES BECAUSE THEY CAN'T TAKE YOUR COUNTER-ARGUMENTS, LIKE AT SDN...
So no, arguing on the DN's capabilities has nothing to do with the thread...

And no, I'm not a Mod anymore, and that wasn't an order, it was a suggestion...
SO TAKE SWST'S STICK OUT OF YOUR ASS AND GIVE IT BACK TO THE MAN... :)
Removing said stick too suddenly makes people use capslock. :D
That, and the obvious anus bleeding.

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:47 pm

sonofccn wrote:@Mojo

I'm sorry I'm just not seeing how DN is not a form of magic/sufficently advanced technology or that Strange couldn't potentially fight against it. Granted I don't see how one could prove Strange could win either but I largely find debates centered around "magic" to be a exercise in futlity anyway.
proving the DN can kill Strange one would have to prove the DN possesses superior power to Death itself, among other things the infinity gauntlet as well

mojo
Starship Captain

Post by mojo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 pm

i LOVE death note.

i specifically stayed away from this thread until now because i knew i wouldn't be able to stop myself from further defending it in what i have to ironically call a vicious and loud-mouthed way.

in retrospect i have to admit that i do belong to that particular fanbase, and that your inclusion of them on the list of those which tend to defend to the death regardless of opposing arguments was correct.

i still think i'm right, but there was no reason to flip out like that and repeat the same argument five billion times, and treat praeothmin that way. he's never been anything but nice to me.

my apologies, stick removed. i just wish i could say i fulfilled your criteria on purpose.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:56 pm

Whew, I was afraid I'd have to remove the stick myself and beat some sense into you with it... ;)

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:48 am

I think 40K deserves an honorable mention at least if only because of the really annoying sales guy at the local GW store near my house. The Guy could not get it through his head I didn't want to purchase miniatures, and then he and he couldn't grasp why WW1/Imperial guard tanks are bad designs.

He actually claimed that that the Imperium of Man's technology made it so that WW1 tank designs are better then modern tank designs made with the same tech base. >_<

Admiral Breetai
Starship Captain

Post by Admiral Breetai » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:10 pm

annoying sales pitch right there

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:43 pm

And what would he say when he'd try to sell Tau stuff?

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:07 am

Admiral Breetai wrote: annoying sales pitch right there
We are talking about a guy who couldn't grasp the idea that not everyone enjoys putting together and painting miniatures, and that having to do all that yourself is a major reason not to get into War Hammer.

He struck me as an Imperial Guard fan. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but WW1ish tank designs are not used for very good reason.
Mr. Oragahn wrote: And what would he say when he'd try to sell Tau stuff?
I'd already told him I would likely play as Tau, but would never do it because you have to put the peaces together yourself and paint them. I'd then told him my hobby was internet VS debates, and that I was looking for fluff. He kept pushing the miniatures.

He didn't seem to like that I thought the Imperial Guard tanks to be ugly, and badly designed. He certainly seemed to know his Imperial guard fluff though. I think he might play Imperial Guard.

He is the reason I'm not buying anything at that store. He was really that annoying to me.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:14 pm

Lucky wrote:
Admiral Breetai wrote:
Mr. Oragahn wrote: And what would he say when he'd try to sell Tau stuff?
I'd already told him I would likely play as Tau, but would never do it because you have to put the peaces together yourself and paint them.
Well, before Rackham closer, they used to produce those AT-43 prepainted figurines and the combat system looked very fast paced. The fluff was quite good, although very nonsensical in some parts.

Lucky
Jedi Master

Post by Lucky » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 am

Mr. Oragahn wrote: Well, before Rackham closer, they used to produce those AT-43 prepainted figurines and the combat system looked very fast paced. The fluff was quite good, although very nonsensical in some parts.
But you also need people to play with, and I have none.

Fluff only matters in stories and Verses debates, but silly fluff can be fun to read, but anything claimed by the Imperium of Man is likely loaded with inaccurate information or outright lies.

I doubt 40Kers carefully read the Codexes given what I've found in my (likely outdated)Tyranids codex.

Khas
Starship Captain

Post by Khas » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:44 am

Okay, I know this is necromancy of the highest order, but I just have to say it. I'm nominating the Whovians for this list. Why? Because, well, it's like what my brother said - Whovians are the horse girls/truck guys of sci-fi fandoms - basically, they're the equivalent of those girls who get horses or guys who get trucks, and then obsess over them to the point that all they do is post stuff about their horses/trucks on Facebook.

Praeothmin
Jedi Master

Post by Praeothmin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:32 pm

Yeah, but you only say that because you’ve never seen my tru...
er, I mean, really?

::walking away whistling stupidly::

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 pm

Definitely certain portions of the anti-DSC crowd on Twitter!

Starship Captain

Post by 2046 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Yeah, those guys suuuuuck. Just off the top of my head, they doxxed this one girl early on, they're vitriolic and name-call all the time, accusing the other side of all kinds of inhumanity even for the most innocuous things, claim literal threats that are demonstrably false, post claims that only their side is intellectual and the other side is full of poor and backwards rubes, declare that the other side is full of fake fans who shouldn't even be allowed to give their opinion, and that they should all just be blocked, though they'd keep yammering on trying to convince themselves the blocked party is a bad person. Their opinion never changes at all… they always keep up the same sort of review comments, no matter whether an ep is good or bad. It's basically no different than the Star Wars civil war over TLJ, except with less involvement by production folk and at a much smaller scale, because . . .

Oh, wait, you said *anti-*.

Huh.

Weird.

I guess that was a typo, 'cause I was talking about the folks who attack anyone critical of Discovery, and have done so since the very beginning, long before any of the critics folks got fed up and unkind in response.

Or maybe, just maybe, the issue is that human interaction quality is at an all-time low, in part because once unthinkably evil Talifan-style behavior is now commonplace, especially among certain types of people, leading to escalation "year after year, massacre after massacre".

So maybe, just maybe, for Mike's sake, we should agree to disagree rather than get into it again, and avoid obvious bait posts when we know damn good and well that others are herein represented.

Thanks in advance.

Sothis
Bridge Officer

Post by Sothis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 pm

*Shrug* what I stated is true. It is not limited to the anti-DSC crowd and their elitist arrogance, nor the various forms of baiting and projection of behaviour they routinely indulge in, but I have observed a great of said behaviour on Twitter from various anti-DSC parties. However, you are correct - instead of long-winded diatribes, we should drop it.