Once again operational! (Old:Broken until further notice)

Discussion of the Open Database, its mission, how to recruit editors and contributors, any on-going problems, and any other matters relating to Starfleet Jedi's resident wiki.
Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Once again operational! (Old:Broken until further notice)

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:00 am

The open database is broken until further notice. It was basically going unused except for spambots; I'll bring it back up once I've backed up the database and installed a newer version with spam-bot-blocking extensions.
Last edited by Jedi Master Spock on Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike DiCenso
Security Officer

Post by Mike DiCenso » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:41 pm

Have you already applied or will be applying the anti-spam-bot extensions to the regular forum as well?
-Mike

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 am

I should actually apply some new anti-spambot widgets sometime, but phpBB and MediaWiki code extensions - though similar - are not necessarily compatible, and I don't have very good PHP skills yet. Mostly it's patch and modify on my end, rather than generate from scratch.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:51 am

Widget, widget... the Open Database is alive again, although the old SFJ skin seems not to be working anymore. (Sorry, folks.) Also, my formerly semi-transparent logo now reads as being on a gray backdrop somewhere in the file conversions. It's very ugly... oh well. Any help on that front would be appreciated.

In other news, SDN apparently has a wiki now, and they're slightly ahead of our wiki in terms of article counts if you're feeling competitive. (Will that prod editors into action?)

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Huh. Their evidence that they're possibly death makers is so ambiguous. 'Archer wouldn't trust it', 'McCoy said he didn't want his molecules spread throughout the universe'. Labeling it as 'popular acceptance' is also without even indirect evidence. 2 ambiguous examples is very bad.

But, I'm surprised the phaser page is a midget stub. And given how often used the tech manual is by the other side, I'm still surprised it's said to be noncanon.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:13 pm

Focus... contribute!

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:22 pm

:P

Okay, let me look some things over and get back to you.

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:48 pm

Make a wiki dealing with Starcraft or Stargate and their place in vs debating, and i'll type up more stuff then your servers can handle. ;)

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:27 pm

l33telboi wrote:Make a wiki dealing with Starcraft or Stargate and their place in vs debating, and i'll type up more stuff then your servers can handle. ;)
I'm not averse to articles dealing with Starcraft and Stargate and their place in VS debating. It's related, and we can always revise the mission statement to broaden the scope of the wiki to deal with the whole VS debate.

In fact... how's this look?

Go forth!

l33telboi
Starship Captain

Post by l33telboi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:40 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:In fact... how's this look?
Looks very good actually. I'll have to put some serious thought into this. You see, thing is, i have actually been compiling a huge amount of info on both SG and SC and i've been thinking about a place to post it all.

I don't know a whole lot about wiki editing and such though, i guess i'll learn as i go.

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:15 am

Was it the spam bots that made a mess of page titles?

Edit:

Questions:

1. How do you change the title of pages without using the 'move' function?
2. Is there a way to delete pages that have nothing to do with the purpose of the wiki, like pages made up to be advertisements for runes or wangluodianhua...whatever the fuck that is, but it supposedly contains equilateral triangles.

Mr. Oragahn
Admiral

Post by Mr. Oragahn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:30 am

Good work!
I'm really tempted.
Is this wiki open to any universe?

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:30 am

As far as I'm concerned, I have no reason to be too restrictive on article content regarding universes. Go ahead.
GStone wrote:Was it the spam bots that made a mess of page titles?
Spambots made a mess of a lot of things, yes.
Edit:

Questions:

1. How do you change the title of pages without using the 'move' function?
'Move' is the title change function. That's all it does, and that's all that change titles.
2. Is there a way to delete pages that have nothing to do with the purpose of the wiki, like pages made up to be advertisements for runes or wangluodianhua...whatever the fuck that is, but it supposedly contains equilateral triangles.
With sufficient permissions, you can delete. If you can't do that now, I can grant you that power if you promise not to make a mess of things.

Jedi Master Spock
Site Admin

Post by Jedi Master Spock » Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:59 am

l33telboi wrote:
Jedi Master Spock wrote:In fact... how's this look?
Looks very good actually. I'll have to put some serious thought into this. You see, thing is, i have actually been compiling a huge amount of info on both SG and SC and i've been thinking about a place to post it all.

I don't know a whole lot about wiki editing and such though, i guess i'll learn as i go.
I'll see if I can't develop some handy tools and a more specific style manual for our purposes...

GStone
Starship Captain

Post by GStone » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:56 pm

Jedi Master Spock wrote:
GStone wrote:Was it the spam bots that made a mess of page titles?
Spambots made a mess of a lot of things, yes.
Yeah, it looked it.
With sufficient permissions, you can delete. If you can't do that now, I can grant you that power if you promise not to make a mess of things.
I promise. But, a couple of the pages I can't read. The best I can do is speak some mandarin.